1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

EPH1:1-14....what is says/ what it does not say!

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Iconoclast, Jan 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Pastor_Bob,
    I had to drive overnight so I am responding a bit late.I did see this;
    I agree that the interaction was friendly among several brethren. We did not totally agree but the exchange of ideas can help us or others who read and follow.
    I do not want to put words in your mouth. I do not want to have you defend what you think is a misrepresentation. You defend a free will position that I do not see in the bible. You think it can be inferred, I do not.

I know you want to defend this idea... I think it has no biblical support.
    This is another issue and I believe Romans 6 teaches this very thing, that is a thread all by itself.

2. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    yes, believers believe and continue on in a state of believing.We agree that believers believe. We disagree over the source of the believing as per the OP and verse 13 of eph1.

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We believe because God chose us to be saved in Christ, not die to us believing and then God choosing us in Christ...

4. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, we have always been believers? Not quite following, my brother.

Ephesians 1:13--...When you believed...you were...

Help me understand, my friend.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We believed in Jesus due to the Father believing in us first!

6. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    MB,

I agree 100% MB. Only the Spirit of God can change anyone's beliefs;jn3
    27 John answered and said, A man can receive nothing, except it be given him from heaven.

I am glad we can find some common ground.

I agree with this also;
    14 `And as Moses did lift up the serpent in the wilderness, so it behoveth the Son of Man to be lifted up,

15 that every one who is believing in him may not perish, but may have life age-during,

16 for God did so love the world, that His Son -- the only begotten -- He gave, that every one who is believing in him may not perish, but may have life age-during.

17 For God did not send His Son to the world that he may judge the world, but that the world may be saved through him;

18 he who is believing in him is not judged, but he who is not believing hath been judged already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

19 `And this is the judgment, that the light hath come to the world, and men did love the darkness rather than the light, for their works were evil;

20 for every one who is doing wicked things hateth the light, and doth not come unto the light, that his works may not be detected;

21 but he who is doing the truth doth come to the light, that his works may be manifested, that in God they are having been wrought.'

Cals believe it happens as outlined in Romans8:29-39. The Spirit draws those foreknown by God. Once drawn they are being constantly sanctified unto glorification on the last day.
    yes I agree....ALL KINDS OF MEN, not the jew only, but those scattered worldwide;

50 Nor consider that it is expedient for us, that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish not.

51 And this spake he not of himself: but being high priest that year, he prophesied that Jesus should die for that nation;

52 And not for that nation only, but that also he should gather together in one the children of God that were scattered abroad.
    I do not believe there will be any person who was not elected in heaven. The multitude of persons is already chosen.

I believe they are both elected and drawn.

I believe this also MB, just I believe God does all of it, enabling us to believe.

We differ in part here. You suggest man is in neutral, but can go either way.
    I believe man resists God all the time unless and until God draws him savingly to jesus giving a new heart.

Sin is the problem, not theology. Men are haters and rebels against God

We have the ability to choose that is in scripture. A will that is free from sin is not found in scripture.

this is a big issue.
    another big conversation

7. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Eph2:!-4 No born by nature children of wrath ,unbelievers, But God,vs 4...enables us to believe. We repent and believe the gospel, we find out it was God working in us. God does not repent, we do.

8. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's an interesting thought here.

9. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I certainly do not dispute the frame of time doctrine you have conveyed clearly. However, what I dispute is what is stated to be cause versus what is stated to be consequence in this passage of which Dr. Flowers completely ignores and corrupts by his video.

I believe Paul is describing cause versus consequence relationships. The cause precedes OUR TIME and thus OUR ACTIONS which are consequences of God's actions prior to our time. For example, we are chosen in him "before the foundation of the world" thus before our existence or anything we have done, do, or will do.

The stated purpose for this BEFORE OUR TIME placement in Christ is that "we might be holy" which again refers to purpose yet unfulfilled prior to our existence which will be carried out in time.

Dr. Flowers reverses this cause consequence order and his theory would demand it to read "because we are (present time) holy in him by faith". But that is not Paul's doctrine here. He places the cause "before" our existence which has for its purpose to be carried out some time future from the foundation of the earth our confirmation in holiness.

So, the issue is not a time perspective, but a cause and consequence perspective in relationship to our existence.

10. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Dr. Flowers says this is about "when" and "How" we become in Christ. Most certainly he is right thus far. He skips all the way down to verses 12-14 to provide his answer. But does Paul start at verses 12-14 in providing his answer? No! He starts at verse 4 in providing an explanation when and how a person becomes "in him." In other words, Paul starts with God's action and God's purpose and God's implementations (predestination, etc.) "before" our existence to explain how we are "in him." Why? Because Paul believes our actions are the consequences of God's purpose carried by God's design rather than our responses and actions being the cause for becoming in Christ.

Hence, purpose precedes and explains predestination which explains our coming to faith in keeping with the very order of thoughts given in the text by Paul. Dr. Flower's explanation would require reversing not only the order in which we find Ephesians 1:4-14, but most importantly would require reversing the stated cause and effect. For example, the stated cause for being "chosen in him before" is "that we might be" rather than we were "chosen in him before " because of "what we are" as Dr. Flowers thinking demands. He reverses the cause and effects.

11. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

When and how do we become "in Christ"? Dr. Flowers answers that it is at the point of faith and that is why he hops all the way down to verses 12-14. He says that verses 4-11 merely explain the security of those who become "in Christ" by faith. But is that what the text teaches or even says? No!

Paul has us "in him" long "before" we ever excise faith not according to our actions but according to God's actions - Eph. 1:4. So, even you and Dr. Flowers must admit that in some sense we were placed "in him" by Divine choice "before the world began" meaning before our existence. Paul's continuing explanation is that he is referring to God's eternal will of purpose which he works out after "the foundation of the world" during our existence. However, we are already "in him" by divine purpose prior to faith.

So, how does one come to exercise such faith to become in him? I believe Paul provides that explanation in a very logical and orderly way in the verses 4b-11 as again the actions by God rather than the actions by you or me. The doctrine of foreseen faith is the doctrine of a rubber stamp that merely says God knows in advance what we will do and therefore picks us because we first picked him. However, that explanation does not explain how faith is not inherent in the nature of man (Jn. 6:44a "no man can come to me") except by divine intervention ("except the Father draw him" making God "the author and finisher of our faith" (Heb. 12:2) rather than something God merely foresaw as a bystander. Again, the foreseen faith theory is first a denial of divine cause with human effect, and then a reversal of cause and effect.

So, how do we become "in him" We are first "chosen in him" which is the stated cause "that we MIGHT BE holy and without blame". What does it mean to be "holy and without blame"? It means that divine purpose is the cause for "setting us apart unto him so that we are like him in moral character." What is the initial action by us that sets us apart unto him - repentance and faith. So, Paul is saying we are "chosen in him before the world began in order that we might repent and beleive in him and become like him." The cause for this is found in God before the world began, the consequence is repentance and faith and a following life that reflects God's character. Then, Paul procedes how God's purpose is obtained after the foundation of the world in our time and space (vv. 5-11) so that the conclusion is repentance in faith (vv. 12-14).

However, in time and space we are first "created in Christ Jesus" which is the creation of faith in Christ - Eph. 2:1-10 as "faith" is inclusive of this work of God or being "saved by grace through faith" which is "not of ourselves, it is a gift of God" because "we are his workmanship CREATED IN CHRIST JESUS." To claim that "faith" is not part of this work of God, not part of "by grace are ye saved" repudiates Paul's claim that "faith is OF GRACE" (Rom.4:16) and God is the "author and finisher of our faith" (Heb. 12:2) and it is a gift (Philip. 1:29).

In short, we are first "in him" by elective purpose (Eph. 1:4) ultimately manifested by faith in the gospel followed by good works (which is the stated purpose of election -1:4b) but that faith is the consequence of the internal creative work of God (Eph. 2:8-10).

Thus, we are in him:

1. By divine election - ETERNAL PURPOSE - covenant union
    2. By divine creation - REGENERATION - spiritual union
    3. By divine faith - JUSTIFICATION - legal union

12. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Lets examine Dr. Flowers airplaine analogy. He admits the point of departure and destination are fixed. However, he claims that the persons boarding that plane are not fixed.

QUESTION: Does boarding require the previous purchase of tickets?

QUESTION: Does the airline restrict the number of tickets issued in keeping with the number of seats available in the plane? Or are both the tickets and seats restricted or fixed as much as the point of departure and arrival?

In theological terms does every human being have ability to come to Christ? Jesus says they don't - "no man can come to me" - Jn. 6:44a. Hence, no man is willing to buy the ticket as no man has ability to buy the ticket. HOW are tickets bought then? OR how do people become willing to come to Christ then? Answer "except the Father draw him".

QUESTION: Is the drawing work of God limited and fixed as much as the departure place and destination place of the plane, as much as the seats in the plane and tickets for the plane?

ANSWER: Yes! According to the scriptural explanation provided by Jesus "ALL" who are thus drawn/taught (Jn. 6:45a) are limited to "all thy children" (Isa. 54:13) within the new covenant of God (Jer. 31:33-34/Heb. 8:10-13) as these are the prohets he cites to explain what he means by "draw". This "all" are effectually brought to faith "from the least dof them unto the greatest of them" (Jer. 31:34) because of the effectual INTERNAL teaching by God in all of them (Jer. 31:33). Furthmore, Jesus provides examples of those never given unto the Son by the Father (Jn. 6:36) and never drawn by the Father (Jn. 6:64-65).

13. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Let's examine the Baseball analogy by Dr. Flowers. He says one coach compels certain players to be on his team while the other coach simply offers whoseover will to be on his team.

This is a highly flawed analogy for many reasons. First, there is no explanation of what is mean by "compel". I imagine Dr. Flowers means "force" against their will. Of course, that is not what his opponets believe nor I believe the Bible teaches by "compel." We believe that "compel" or "draw" refers to wholly an INTERNAL work of God that produces a willing heart and only those are the only sinners who become willing as Jesus plainly says "no man can come to me" as all men are equally unwilling.

So, the truth is that there are no players who are willing to join either team. The only coach that ends up with players willing to play for him is the coach that compelled them to join.

14. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No imagining necessary. Dr. Flowers clearly says, "one coach pre-selects or compels players to be on his team."

Dr. Flowers says the other coach invites player to volunteer to be on his team.

So, one coach, coach Calvin, pre-selects players and the other coach invites players to join the team.

You have misrepresented his analogy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

15. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

You misunderstood me. Notice I took his analogy and applied it along scriptural lines first, then I applied it in keeping with scripture. The consequence would be there would be no one willing to join his team because in scripture "whosoever will" does not exist apart from the "exception" clause in Jn. 6:44 which verse 45 and scriptures cited in the verse define drawing as "effectual" in producing willingness.

16. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Understand you clearly and you have misrepresented his analogy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

17. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

No, I have not. I have just shown the logical error of it when the analogy is put to scripture. His analogy is based on FREE WILL when scripture teaches FREE AGENCY and his analogy is based upon DRAW defined as mere enablement for FREE WILL rather than effectual coming. I have simply put on the display the weakness of his analogy. In other words, his analogy does not hold up to scripture and that is his aim.

18. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Don't you believe that his purpose of the analogy is to present and defend his view of scripture? Yes! If you look at the context of what I said, I address his misunderstanding of scripture which shows his design for the analogy of the second coach is flawed. I simply pointed out that flaw.

I assumed the reader listen to his analogy and his application.

19. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

One reason I stopped participating in this forum is because debaters want to quibble over lesser issues as a tactic to avoid dealing with the brunt of evidence found in post. That is precisely what you are doing with my post. In my post, I went to the heart of the error of his analogy, and that is, it does not conform to the Scriptural understanding that he embraces.

#79 The Biblicist, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  20. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep, you misrepresented his analogy. He said the second coach "invited" players. That can be considered analogous to the Holy Spirit "drawing" people.

So did I.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.