1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Episcopal Church Hasn't Touched Bible for 100 Years

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Jerome, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christ Episcopal Church, Shrewsbury, N.J., is considering opening up the case that has displayed a misprinted Bible for over a century. The "Vinegar Bible" has lain open under glass for all those years at Luke chapter 20 so people can see "The Parable of the Vinegar":

usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/04/14/300-year-old-bible-new-jersey-known-typo/100489374/

"The 300-year-old Bible at Christ Episcopal Church sits locked in a glass case, untouched since 1916."

"Jesus’ parable of the vineyard...is mislabeled “The Parable of the Vinegar.” It’s one of several misprints in this 1717 King James edition by English printer John Baskett — an ornate, expensive version that worshipers of the day nicknamed 'a Baskett full of errors.'"

"To celebrate the Vinegar Bible’s tricentennial this year, [church historian Robert] Kelly may invite a conservationist to open up the glass case and assess its physical status."

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    WHAT!!! a mistake in the King James Version???

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gordon Campbell had listed a 1717 Oxford KJV edition as being "Thomas Baskett's Vinegar Bible" (Bible, Story of the KJV, p. 319).

At books.google.com, I once came across a KJV edition printed in 1717. It was printed in London by John Baskett. It only included the text of the Old Testament, evidently scanned backwards. It is perhaps a smaller size edition than a folio. Its text did not include the New Testament so I could not check for the Luke 20 heading.
    I found it again by searching at that books.google web site for "Holy Bible containing the Old Testament, Vinegar Bible," and it was on the first page of books that came up as a result of the search.

When I had searched for "Holy Bible containing the Old Testament, 1717," I saw several listings for a KJV printed in 1717, but their text was not available to open and examine.

4. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christopher De Hamel noted that “in 1711-12, John Baskett negotiated deals with both Oxford and Cambridge and he brought a partnership with Edinburgh in order to operate their various printing privileges himself” (The Book. A History of the Bible, p. 249). Around the same time period (1709-1712), John Baskett had also bought out the royal patent from the heirs of Robert Barker (p. 248).

David Norton maintained that from 1713 on, John Baskett “leased the Oxford right to print Bibles” (p. 101). The Cambridge History of the Bible described John Baskett as “the greatest monopolist of the century” and noted that “the whole British Bible trade was virtually in Baskett’s hands” (p. 463). These exclusive printing rights would pass to his son Thomas Baskett and later to his grandson Mark.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    MUST be a Hoax then!

6. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Vinegar in a Baskett? And I thought it would take a bottle to hold it!