1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Ergun Caner

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JohnDeereFan, Feb 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Remember John Todd. Ergun won't go down that violent and perverse road --but lies will not win the day. He can't cover up what has been revealed. He must have a difficult time getting speaking gigs at churches --"Just what is it that you know about me?"

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Caner clearly misrepresented himself and gave false information. He is violating Scripture by suing other believers. He lied at multiple Pastors conferences and convention meetings where he pretended to speak Arabic but was only babbling.

I'm not reformed, I'm not a Calvinist, I'm not a Muslim.

I am a Southern Baptist and lament that the good ole boy system is at work again. He has no business leading a SBC institution.

Dr Caner had recently hired his loudest defender, Peter Lumpkins, are a VP at Brewton-Parker. Do we really think this isn't a giant cover up?

Just running around saying there's no fire when the whole house is burning down doesn't help either.

All that said, some Calvinist bloggers have gone too far and are in sin over their prosecution of this man.

3. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like how you didn't talk about the relevancy for Calvie apologists like White to call out Caner. For White's (and others) credibility in a Muslim debate, he has to clear the name of Christianity.

I do think the tirade has gone on way too long. But a lot of that is because Caner still gets support from apologists who should know better (i.e. Geisler).

4. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Everyone deserves a second or third chance, Caner is no exception. That being said, I've never actually heard him repent for his blatant lying and misrepresentations of himself. All I've heard is the ole "sorry you were offended" remarks.

Does anyone have an actual link or report where Caner admitted his mistakes, took full responsibility and asked for forgiveness?

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just go to James White's website and you'll find more than enough info to satisfy you.

I am not able to access Ergun's website --and I think he removed it. But he made a half-hearted acknowlegement of sorts:"I never intentionally misled anyone...For those times where I misspoke,said it wrong,scrambled words,or was just outright confusing,I apologize and will strive to do better."

The above quote did not quite cut the proverbial butter shall we say?

#25 Rippon, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2014
  6. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem with giving second chances and forgiveness where there is no repentance is that it amounts to giving tacit approval to the sin.

To give Caner a "second chance" without him repenting or even acknowledging his lying and subsequent, related sins sends the message that we're willing to sweep the sinful behavior under the rug.

7. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, but remember, any evidence James White produces won't count because he's one of those mean ol' big, bad Calvinists. And you know they're always up to no good.

Incidentally, James White does read the posts here on Laodice....er, I mean BaptistBoard. He's referenced posters and threads here several times on his show.

8. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Frankly it all sounds like gossip at this point. If the point has been made that he lied to the people to whom he lied, then why keep reporting on it like it's a news story?

This has become glorified gossip and has seemingly nothing to do with loving correction to move someone toward repentance.

Was anyone on here personally wronged in such that he owes you an apology?

Were any of the bloggers personally wronged in such that he owed them an apology?

This is not the way things are supposed to be dealt with if a Brother has wronged another Brother.

9. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because his behavior is ongoing and he's still being given a place of authority in the Church.

Two problems here.

The first is, what happens when you repeatedly give someone loving correction to move someone toward repentance and they repeatedly not only refuse to repent, but double down on their sin?

The second is that this isn't a personal squabble. This is a public issue.

Do we have to be in order to discuss it?

Do they have to be personally wronged in order to comment on a news story?

Let me guess: Matthew 18:15-20?

Two problems with using this passage in this case.

The first is that this is not a brother who has sinned against a brother. This is a man who has lied to gain a position, has built a ministry on a lie, a man with a position of authority within the Church who has sinned publically and continues to flaunt his sin.

The second problem is that this passage ends with excommunication. So even the passage you're quoting would hold Caner to a higher standard than you do.

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    what was/has he been accused of not telling thruth about?

was it his minisrey and work among Muslims, or something else?

11. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

How do you know that his behavior is ongoing? Is it ongoing because people who directly have nothing to do with it keep talking?

Then leave it alone. You can't force anyone into repentance. And that seems to be the purpose of continuing to call him out. It's been addressed with the people he supposedly wronged so why the continued gossip at this point about what he's continuing to do? Let the folks who say he wronged them deal with it.

Did he wrong the public or specific people? It does not serve the public's interest for the church to keep eating it's own like this publicly over something which doesn't involve most of us.

There's a difference between commenting and acting like you're the one whose been wronged.

Let me guess: Matthew 18:15-20?

There's no problem with using that passage. He wronged somebody and because he used his lie for personal gain and status, you're now trying to justify ignoring Scripture.

Too many people have gotten too personally involved in commenting on this as thought they were the ones wronged.

Excommunication if he didn't repent of wronging the other Brother. Yall just seem to be upset that he gained a position of status by supposedly lying. He didn't do anything directly against you, but yall are acting as though he did.

This is a private matter about a private wrong. The rest is gossip. But naturally the church likes to cll gossip Godly.

12. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think it entirely private. Books were written, sermons preached, lectures given - all in a public forum.

13. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It wasn't private at all. He built a very public ministry out of it.

What's more, if it's private, then why is he making it public by suing people he claims to consider brothers in Christ?

His place of birth, his education, his family background, his upbringing, his ability to speak Arabic, his understanding of Islam...

"I'm sorry for lying" and "I'm sorry if you feel I lied" are two very, very different things. If you can't tell which one is an apology and which one isn't, then the problem is yours, not ours.

What if someone doesn't feel that he misled them. Is he still sorry for lying?

#33 JohnDeereFan, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2014
  14. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

And didn't he give an apology, (whether we think it sincere or not) to anyone who may have felt that he mislead them?

So who kept feeding this after the apology?

15. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not a matter of being sincere, it wasn't an apology

http://sbctoday.com/2010/02/25/statement-from-dr-ergun-caner/

He said he didn't lie, but made a "pulpit mistake", whatever that is.

16. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

So again, the people it did not involve, why is it being talked about in a way that does not seem to be attempting to edify the Body or push him to repentance but rather just to gossip?

17. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How does it edify the Body to sweep his behavior under the rug or to not warn unsuspecting brothers and sisters in Christ?

18. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

What does his behavior have to do with Brothers and Sisters to whom he hasn't done anything? This is no different than if somebody committed adultery and folks started telling people with whom it had nothing to do with.

It's none of our business so why are folks gossipping about it as though it is?

19. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's deceptive and brings reproach on the Church and on the Gospel.

Now, back to my question: How are you edifying the Body by sweeping his behavior under the rug or not warning unsuspecting brothers and sisters in Christ?

I see. So, let's say a pastor or a seminary president commits adultery and not only refuses to repent for it, but continues to commit adultery and attacks those who try to call him to repentance. Is it wrong to talk about the ramifications of his actions on the Body of Christ?

Please name one person in this thread who is gossiping about it. And if they are, then why do you hold them to a higher standard than you hold Caner?

20. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

It's deceptive to whom? The school that hired him is satisfied. Who else is being deceived? How is it bringing reproach on the church and the Gospel other than by folks who had nothing todo with it keep talking about it?

It hasn't been swept under the rug. The people to whom it matters have accepted what he said nad felt like he has atoned for whatever the wrongdoing was, and that's why they hired him.

The unsuspecting Brothers and Sisters that matter have addressed the issue and hired him. SO why are the folks who have nothing to do with it still gossipping about it?

It would be wrong to talk about what he did as though it was done to you. That's the sort of thing that can be spoken of in generic terms without dragging folks through the mud.

He wouldn't be dragging us personally through the mud so what sense does it make for us to speak to specifics and gossip about him as though we had?

Perhaps if there wasn't so much gossip taking place about what happened, he would have the opportunity to move to repentance if he already hasn't. All the gossip makes it look like he's under attack.

Pick one. If you've brought up his name in reference to what you think he did and hasn't repented and you weren't there when he did it, you're gossipping.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.