1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Eric Garner’s daughter posts address of cop at his death

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Jedi Knight, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Yes - even with the points I made, nothing warrants what the guy allegedly did, and having video of him pushing the store clerk - wow. It really bothers me that this was the case people chose this situation to stack a revolt upon. There are so many that are way more credible as far as being able to say "Hey look, the officer was unjustified." I still don't get why/how Brown's situation became and remained at the heart of this. Maybe I should have more pity for criminals who push around smaller people they rob, but I just don't. I can't feel bad for that situation. Objectively, I can see where the officer acted stupid, and I can feel bad over the concept of a life lost, but in my heart, anyone who could rob and push a stranger could hurt people in my own family, could hurt my children, and I end up feeling relieved there's one less criminally mean person out there who might do that.
    That may not be politically correct, but that's how I feel. Garner is a completely different situation and I feel terrible in that case.
    Which is why I haven't talked much about either in these threads - so far, even among friends, I am the only one, to my knowledge, who thinks the first case was very likely justified despite the officer's seeming mistakes, while the other was very wrong.

2. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

It's not the case upon which a "revolt" has been stacked Gina. It just happened to be the case where people said enough is enough. This has been going on for years, the killing of unarmed black men by cops, and the communities have always just rolled with it. But when the world gets to see video of an unarmed man shot and left in the street for hours like a dog...when the world can see what is essentially a snuf video of cops choking a man to death...then it's time for a revolt.

And to then have those events followed by the shooting of the unarmed young man in the staircase and the young man in Walmart and the young man with the airsoft gun in the park and , and , and...

I'm sure you get my point. It's happening again and again that cops are killing unarmed black men. The world has seen it and wants to know why. The same thing isn't happening to white serial killers or white people who have shot up schools. But the police continue to kill unarmed black men and prosecutors continue to bypass due process and not indict them. it's well past time that the country address it.

This has nothing to do with credibility as I said to ShagNappy. This is about enough is enough. Black and white people are tired of seeing unarmed black men killed at the hands of the police and then the police are treated with kid's gloves while the murdered men and their families are maligned by the "political right" and FOX News.

And the first case may well have been justified. But when due process is bypassed because a prosecutor did not want to prosecute, it makes Blacks even more wary of the judicial system and law enforcement because it looks like they are working together to kill unarmed black men and the prosecutor's office, the one who is supposed to stand in the dead person's defense, appears to be helping the killer cops to not even get indicted so that there is a jury trial to show everyone if it were justified or not.

3. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

What this girl did was reckless and irresponsible. I don't know what she was thinking when she did it.

I don't know what the police "source" that allegedly said this was thinking when he or she allegedly said it either.

This statement seems a bit provocative in and of itself.

4. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Yep.:thumbs:

5. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

That makes sense Zaac. I'll probably never completely get it though - the boiling point should have been reached long long ago, with cases much more clear.

Bypassing due process happens so often that I never have the expectation it will happen. It's just a system, no need call it what it isn't. So sick of hearing it called a "justice system."

Guess I'm just tired of it all. Free citizens ALLOWED the system to get this corrupted - and think focusing on one issue alone is going to effect change. And I can pretty much guarantee that if police reduce the number of black people they shoot, everyone will drop the issue until it starts getting worse again, because nothing at the root of it will have been fixed.

6. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I think this is 100% correct. It's a heart issue which is why I remain dumbfounded that God's people don't realize that them loving Christ and others as themselves while delivering the Gospel is the key.

7. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

8. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I always heard that "the fish stinks from the head down". But I'm a farm boy. But them guts start to rot first. That's why if you catch one with eggs in it, you want to get them out of there fast cause they spoil really quick.

9. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

In either HOT headline case----EXACTLY HOW was due process bypassed??

And EXACTLY HOW would you propose fixing what isn't broken??

You see whats gonna happen when anyone begins to "Fix" the imaginary problem, don't you?? You will loose the 1st phase of what is really "Due Process"!! Which is the state's District Attorney's probe into probable indictment or dismissal based on evidence given to the office

10. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Blackbird, I had a situation once where a teenager reacted to being addressed by screaming curse words - then took off and slammed the door to the room.
    I had multiple choices.

1. Pretend it did not happen and continue what I was doing with the other teens

2. Enact the written consequences for cursing and verbally abusing someone in authority.

3. Follow the teen and explain there was no problem and thus no need for that behavior.

4. What I did - Go to the teen and ask what was going on.

It turned out that the problem was rooted in circumstances that had nothing to do with what happened in the moment or with me. I had the teen take a cool down period, explained that I was available to talk after or could find someone else if preferred, and let them know that while the behavior wasn't okay, I cared about what caused it.

I am reminded of that because a year later, the teen expressed to me that it was an important moment that started a string of changes.

I had not been a part of what caused this person to be upset. That doesn't mean there wasn't a problem. It just wasn't what it looked like by judging that specific moment in time.

If people hurt, or believe they are being wrong, others must then accept that there is a problem that needs to be addressed. That is just how it is. Nothing gets accomplished if people here say there is a problem, and people there say nope, there isn't. That is when violence starts to take root, because people get scared when they are afraid they and their loved ones aren't being heard and considered. Scared people do scary things. So it's not just for the sake of others ( though that should be enough) that we must interact when people feel wronged - it is also for the safety, peace and protection of everybody.

But to start - you have to admit there's a problem. In your post, you seem to say there isn't one. Apparently there is, or we'd all be holding hands and singing lovely songs together. So I'm wondering what your interpretation of the problem is. Why are people angry and upset? Why are they protesting? It really doesn't do much to solve anything if we just ask about extreme specifics and try to prove them right or wrong. Let's go for the heart of it. What is the problem that is going on now, in your interpretation?