1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ESV - More clear?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by TomVols, Sep 9, 2010.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Okay. I had the earlier typed but had to save and enter. I now have the responses I needed (Well, not me...Rippon).

And after hearing the recording at GTY, this is exactly what it is.
    http://www.gty.org/Radio/Archive

Now you're just making things up as you go.
    Wait...first you said it was his study. Now you're backpeddling.

And you clearly aren't paying attention. Of course he's endorsing his SB and its translation just like he did with the NKJV version. If Zondervan put out an NIV Mac SB, he'd glowingly refer to the NIV as he has before on his website (posted earlier).

The planks here are irrefutable: you are purporting that Mac is somehow now an ardent ESV guy. I say he's marketing the chosen translation for the latest manifestation of his SB. The facts point to the latter and not the former. And this is confirmed by folks at GCC, GTY and TMS, and from John's own mouth. How you can continue to argue otherwise is just amazing.

Here's some advice, Rippon: get your facts checked before launching out on your skiff :laugh:

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I get it,and I'm sorry for misunderstanding.I thought you meant that you had the intention of viewing it. But I am still puzzled that you needed proof that Mac had said the things he said if you had actually heard the very same things yourself numerous times. Why did you ask in the first place as if his quotes were so strange to your ears?

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I certainly am not -- you know better than to say that.

I said that his endorsement or promo as you said,was not part of any sermon. Well, it's not part of any sermon. I didn't make that up -- that's the truth.

You specialize in irrelevancies.The promo was not behind the pulpit.He's sitting at a desk in a study. Do you get that major point -- the geography? He was not delivering a sermon.

Based on his glowing praise of the ESV,I believe him, unless you are calling him a liar.

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

No problem.
    Baiting the hook a bit :laugh: It was purported as if Mac had endorsed it in such a way as to endorse its usage widespread. There was critical context missing: namely, that John had done so in peddling....er, advertising his new SB.
    Well, I don't know that you specifically said that, so for sake of time I'll cede the point. But you just said he said it...then went on to say he taped this promo in his study, thus implying there was creedance that I don't think should be assumed prima facie. Everything must be viewed relative to context. Ever notice how politicians are always fans of teams where they're stumping? I think that's what we have here, and that's been confirmed to me by folks at GCC, GTY, TMS, and TSC Q&As (et.al.).
    Of course I get it - that's my point. Context is key. He was not endorsing it in any other vain other than a marketing standpoint relative to his SB. Now, produce video or quotes where he endorses the ESV on its own merits and you have a legitimate plank. So far, none has been produced. Not only that, but associates of his and John himself have said the opposite. So again, I'm puzzled as to why you persist in something that is not true. I will not assign evil motives. I know your love for the TNIV/NIV and MacArthur has spoken out against both. Then again, he has spoken in favor of the NIV, too. Again, depends on the audience/context. No one is doubting he said what he said. No one doubts the Bible says there is no God. But context says this is what the fool says (See Psalm 14.1). We are not permitted to wrestle things from their context the way you would have us believe.

At the end of the day, you can believe MacArthur is now in love with the ESV if you wish. The truth says something else. His own words and those close to him say something else, as well as track record. But believe what you will.

I'm off to a well-deserved vacation. When John orders all at GCC to carry only ESVs this Sunday, I'll eat my words. After all, I won't be able to watch or listen :laugh:

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I said it way back in post #15.

Just what in the world are you going on about?

If you get it then why did you speculate that JM probably had his promo done at the end of the sermon which Amy mentioned? If you indeed watched the video then you knew that he didn't tape it while sermonizing.He was sitting behind a desk -- his desk,Crossway's --no matter. He was not delivering a sermon while praising the merits of the ESV with the quotes I provided in another thread.

Yet apparently,as Amy observed,he is saying nice things about the ESV in at least one sermon.I'll have to listen to his more recent messages.

You have been known to falsely charge me before only to say later that you were just kidding.I persist in setting the record straight.

Based on John MacArthur's own words the ESV is "the newest and freshest translation." Furthermore,it is "by far the best translation."

Did he or did he not say those things and other statements extolling the ESV?

No wresting going on from my end.

I'm going by his own words. The truth is something I value.

Fare thee well.

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Sigh :BangHead:
    I didn't. You aren't paying attention. I said it was at the end of his GTY broadcast, and if you would listen to the archives, you'd see is true.

I know. That's my point. He's doing it to shill his SB.
    Well, no, as has been confirmed by folks at GTY, GCC, TMS, etc., and his own words. This happened during the promo portion of GTY. He does this at the end of the broadcasts when he usually asks for a contribution and the said contribution will earn some sort of book. He has occasionally sent out his SB for a large enough donation. Anyone who has listened to him knows this.

Again, you don't get it. Of course he said it....in promotional material for his SB. He is not an endorser at the ESV website nor in any promo material I have seen. He is saying the same things re the ESV as he has the NKJV when his material used that translation (apparently you either ignore this or are unaware of it. . But not once has anyone doubted he said what he said (asking for sourcing is different than saying it didn't happen, and you know that). I find it interesting you aren't as obsessed with Lucado, Patterson, et.al., over their statements about the ESV as you are MacArthur's.

This is bearing false witness. You should apologize. This is simply outrageous.

We're going nowhere as you continue to obfuscate the points via conflation. His promos have been cited and confirmed by external sources, esp those closely tied to Dr. MacArthur. Believe what you will. I want off the merry go round. Frankly, I couldn't care less what translation MacArthur uses (Just once, I'd love to hear him announce his text from the Message just to see what GCC folks would do) :laugh: (Tell you what. He starts using the ESV from the pulpit, and I'll buy you a copy of his SB. Deal?)

I'm well aware he has attacked the NIV/TNIV before (yet extolled the NIV as well) so you have a beef with him. I'm sorry this seems to be clouding your judgement here.

This disucssion has taken up two threads. It's taken way too much time. See y'all in a week.

BTW, I apologize for the typo earlier. Having a toddler in your lap never makes typing easy.

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have said false things about me -- it would be be a lie to say you haven't.When I have challenged you about your false statements you say things like :"Relax Rippon.I'm just jousting and jesting.I just like rattling your cage on it from time to time."

Some more of your remarks:
    "Now you're just making things up as you go."
    "...persist in something that's not true."
    "...the truth says something else."

So do I.

Okay. Then,one day,it will come out in the 2011 NIV.