1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Esv

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Aubre, Jul 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

There are a LOT of free courses on biblicaltraining.org....not just Greek.

There is also an excellent course on the Muslim religion and how to witness to them. You have to study the Koran in the course; however, because it is so detailed.

2. MatthewDiscipleOfGod

The ESV is popular around my parts. I personally like the NKJV better because it holds closer to the majority text which I believe is a better then the manuscripts the ESV uses. Also the NKJV will tell you what all 3 major types of manuscripts say. Not only that but words that are not in the Greek are in italic. To top it off my NKJV is a Johnny Mac study bible. Can't beat that. :smilewinkgrin:

3. MatthewDiscipleOfGod

It is nice they have Mounce's audio lectures on there for free. I still would highly recommend the actual book and also the workbooks depending how much you want to learn Greek.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Peter M. , welcome to the BB . I have a few questions for you .

What pointless pursuits were you referring to ?

Everyone has their personal preferences in a Bible translation . I , for instance , am not totally dismissive of the ESV as a translation . I consult it perhaps more than those who claim it is their primary translation . It is a matter of "likes" for a certain translation to be chosen as a primary one . Of course the criteria for the choice varies widely among Bible readers .

Yes , the ESV lacks "Americanisms" . I do not think the NIV is that American as such in their translation . However , there is a British version of the NIV . I do not think it is very different than the NIV .

The ESV actually has Brit-speak . Phrases such as " They were at table " are common in the gospels for example . Using the ESV for folks with English as a foreign language is not a good idea . It is too archaic and cumbersome . I live in South Korea . I have given away and loaned English Bibles ( which most prefer to the Korean versions among students of English ) and the NIV , NLT and for the English level of a good many -- the NIrV . Those are much better choices for a student with English as a foreign language . Unless you want the student to go through multiple hoops , I would suggest that the ESV or something similiar would be much too taxing .

5. PeterM

PeterM Member

The one of many pointless pursuits that consume the minds of some and propels them to cause division among the body of Christ. Bible translation is but one of those.

I guess I am at a bit of a loss with the italicised portion of your statement. You are not totally dismissive of the ESV, but you consult it more than those who use it as a primary? Unless you are being insulting, you may want to clarify.

That said, I am all about personal preferences. I don't care what translation people use. I am only intense against those translations that distort the original language or obviously mistranslate the intention or meaning of a given text.

The NIV is actually very american in its style, hence its popularity in the States. I appreciate your service in S. Korea but I can say from experience that when teaching an ESL course the ESV as a text is preferred over others. I will agree with your position that the NIrV, NLT, and CEV would actually be more beneficial.

I personally believe that Bibles are tools and if the tool isn't working, find one that does.

6. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

I hope dear Aubre is not discouraged from returning to this forum because of some of the divisive dialog that has resulted from her ESV post.

Perhaps, what she should have written was that it was a "very good translation for her"... she just wanted to express her pure joy. After many years with one translation, it can be very refreshing to find and read another version. I can see how the ESV would be a 'comfortable' change for her coming from a KJV background.

I find myself in agreement again with KeithM. No one here should be belittled for their choice. However, if knowledgeable persons have the patience and the skill to find the proper tone, it is good to share insight with others that will build them up in faith.

Only God knows why we as individuals have certain preferences or are attracted to specific things.

Praise the Lord that Aubre was able to gain beneficial knowledge from visiting the Baptist Board! I hope it will remain such a valuable and friendly place.

#46 franklinmonroe, Aug 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.