1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eternal life...now and then.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by jcf, Feb 5, 2005.

1. jcf

jcf Guest

ETERNAL LIFE
    now and then
    by John C. Ferreira

One of the problems in understanding God's work of salvation in us is how we grasp eternal life. Eternal life is only found in Jesus. 1 John 5:11-12 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

Within Jesus' Father dwells life, this life was given to the Son in turn He gives it to us. John 5:26 For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself.

How Jesus gives us this life is through His words. John 6:63 "It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.

Jesus is the vine, the vine gives life to the branch, we are the branch. John 15:5:6 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

When we abide in Jesus' words Jesus abide in us. John 15:7 "If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.

Eternal life is something that comes from abiding in Jesus' words, it abides in us when we abide in Him. If we hate our brother we have no eternal life abiding in us. 1 John 3:15 Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.

Jesus is the root that supports the branches. Romans 11:16-22 For if the firstfruit is holy, the lump is also holy; and if the root is holy, so are the branches. And if some of the branches were broken off, and you, being a wild olive tree, were grafted in among them, and with them became a partaker of the root and fatness of the olive tree, do not boast against the branches. But if you boast, remember that you do not support the root, but the root supports you. You will say then, "Branches were broken off that I might be grafted in.'' Well said. Because of unbelief they were broken off, and you stand by faith. Do not be haughty, but fear. For if God did not spare the natural branches, He may not spare you either. Therefore consider the goodness and severity of God: on those who fell, severity; but toward you, goodness, if you continue in His goodness. Otherwise you also will be cut off.

When we follow the words of the Good Shepherd He gives us eternal life. John 10:27-28 "My sheep hear My voice (words), and I know them, and they follow Me. "And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand.

Eternal life does not belong to us (yet), we are getting it from the vine (Jesus) through our abiding in Him who has it. We get our own eternal life (immortality) at the second coming of Jesus when get immortality/eternal life (the reward). 1 Corinthians 15:51-54 Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. So when this corruptible has put on incorruption, and this mortal has put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written: "Death is swallowed up in victory.''

Romans 2:7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:

1 John 5:13 These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God.

Hebrews 5:8-9 though He was a Son, yet He learned obedience by the things which He suffered. And having been perfected, He became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him.

Don't be deceived...there is no life outside of the giver of life, Jesus Christ. 1 John 5:11-12 And this is the testimony: that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.

1 Timothy 6:12 Fight the good fight of the faith. Hold onto eternal life. (God gives life to everything.) You were called into this life when you made the good confession in front of many witnesses.

2. wopik

wopik New Member

"For I am hard-pressed from both directions, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better; yet to remain on in the flesh is more necessary for your sake.” ---Phillipians 1:23-24 NAS / 2Timothy 4:6-8.

Notice, Paul did not say where he would go or when he would be with Christ.

There is not one word mentioning heaven here, nor is there one word saying that he would be with Christ immediately.

In 2Timothy 4:6-8 Paul wrote: "For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing."

Paul explains what he meant by being with Christ. He does not receive his reward immediately at death. But there is laid up a crown of righteousness which the Lord shall give him at that day. What day? At Christ's appearing----His second coming.

In Isaiah 40:10 we notice this same day mentioned: "Behold, the Lord God will come….behold, his reward is with him…." See also Revelation 22: 12.

To die is gain! In death, there is no knowledge of passing time (Eccl. 9: 5,6,10; Ps. 146: 4). THE NEXT MOMENT IS THE RESURRECTION!

3. jcf

jcf Guest

quote: from Wopik
    --------------------------------------------------
    "For I am hard-pressed from both directions, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better; yet to remain on in the flesh is more necessary for your sake.” ---Phillipians 1:23-24 NAS / 2Timothy 4:6-8.

Notice, Paul did not say where he would go or when he would be with Christ.

There is not one word mentioning heaven here, nor is there one word saying that he would be with Christ immediately.

In 2Timothy 4:6-8 Paul wrote: "For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing."

Paul explains what he meant by being with Christ. He does not receive his reward immediately at death. But there is laid up a crown of righteousness which the Lord shall give him at that day. What day? At Christ's appearing----His second coming.

In Isaiah 40:10 we notice this same day mentioned: "Behold, the Lord God will come….behold, his reward is with him…." See also Revelation 22: 12.

To die is gain! In death, there is no knowledge of passing time (Eccl. 9: 5,6,10; Ps. 146: 4). THE NEXT MOMENT IS THE RESURRECTION!
    --------------------------------------------------

Amen to all the above....

Wopik, you hit the nail right on the head. There are very few people who are able to grasp this truth and the only reason being is because of all the baggage that they are not willing to let go of in order to understand the promises of God.

The resurrection is our hope and our great joy. We as abiding belivers will be resurrected to a new life, a life without end. There will be no more pain, suffering or death. All that we know life to be now in a fallen creation will be gone forever. No more wars or rumors of wars. No more crime, hatered and greed. No more tsunamis or earthquakes. No more denominations or cults. We will be God's people and He will be our God and Jesus will reign over all the earth with God's people. Amen and Amen...

[ February 06, 2005, 07:01 AM: Message edited by: jcf ]

4. billwald

billwald New Member

You all have made a fair case that "eternal life" refers to the quality, not the quantity of life.

5. jcf

jcf Guest

Hi billwald,

Eternal life is a quality life that comes from God that brings a quantity of life in the same way eternal fire is a fire that comes from God not a quanitity.

Jude 1:7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

Sodom and Gomorrha are not still burning.

6. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Luke 18

29So He said to them, "Assuredly, I say to you, there is no one who has left house or parents or brothers or wife or children, for the sake of the kingdom of God,
    30who shall not receive many times more in this present time, and in the age to come eternal life."

In Christ,

Bob