1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eternal Security and Marriage?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Calminian, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Weird title, I know.

I'm definitely a believer in eternal security. It's one of those doctrines that's very important to me. It would be difficult for me to fellowship at a church that did not believe in ES. Too many errors abound from the idea you can lose your salvation.

But, something came up that really has me thinking. A friend of mine called off an engagement (or potential engagement) over this issue. Everything seemed perfect, but then this issue arose and my friend eventually felt they needed to end things. Very sad, as everything else seemed to line up and both individuals are pretty broken up about it.

I was one of the persons consulted about this, and probably contributed to their decision, though would never make that decision for anyone. And now I'm feeling really bad for both individuals.

If anyone has any advice or thoughts about this, please share. If I'm consulted again, I'd like to speak with as much wisdom as possible.

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So the engaged parties decided not to get married because one believes in eternal security and one believes in falling from grace. Is that right?

3. Calminian

Site Supporter

zactly, though I wouldn't say engaged, but rather heading that way.

#3 Calminian, Aug 1, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  4. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My wife (Herself) is from the Evangelical Christian-Baptists of the former Soviet Union. The EC-Bs also believe you can lose your salvation. After discussing matters with our pastor, she came to believe in the opposite position. For one thing, the EC-Bs never really go into the matter in any real depth.

Mind you if we hadn't come to a shared position, that would have ended the progress towards a wedding. Marriage has enough stresses without adding basic theological ones.

#4 Squire Robertsson, Aug 2, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  5. Calminian

Site Supporter

Thanks for that. That would be the ideal (that they would both move to the same position, and I would pray it would be eternal security). In this case, the one who believes in conditional security (that you can lose your salvation) says he's becoming more firm as he studies the issue (though both are quite young). He is involved in a church that speaks about it often, and warns against it often. His family and church family are very firm. The same with her and her family and church.

He says he's willing to work it out, but I've warned her that it's going to be a tough road. She has to also consider that he'll be the spiritual leader of the house. What church would they attend? What counselors would they seek? What do they teach their kids? Knowing how strong she is in her convictions I think she's going to be miserable in that environment. My advice to both is to take a step back.

They may or may not listen. I actually feel bad for them both, as they've progressed quite far in their relationship and have agreement on a myriad of things from origins to eschatology. And I think Christians can work through theological disagreements. But this one issue just seems monumental.