1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eternal security and unpardonable sin

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Dr. Timo, Feb 23, 2009.

1. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

I agree with your statement 100%. But what about cases where both follow this method and end in different positions? On the issue of ES you and I have both done this and came to different conclussions. At least one of us is wrong, maybe both. This stems from the fact that we are fallible. We make mistakes.

I am sure that we differ on many other doctrines and inturpretations of scriptures. So why is it that so many people use this doctrine as one to divide us so. Most people will attend a church where the Pastor views things different than them. I have yet to find one that I am in 100% agreement with. But if they differ on ES, it seams they can no longer worship together.

Maybe the division is not as big as it seams to me. I just think it somewhat strange that the things said in this thread about the ignorance of those who believe one must endure is repeated when turned around.

As usual, I am caught in the middle with friends and loved ones on both sides of a war that I find useless.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think that is accurate. If eternal life is not eternal life, then the purpose of the Gospel is pointless.
    I believe a believer can live a sinful lifestyle from firsthand experience. I quenched the Holy Spirit for the better part of 2 decades. Lot is a prime example of such a thing. The point is, once something is done by God, it's permanent. Any circumcision is just that, once for all time.

3. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Maybe I mis spoke. Can a believer live an ungodly, sinful life, never repent or turn back to God, and die in this condition and be saved? Can one continue in willful disobediance to God?

4. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    IMO All disobedience is willful. A man must be able to live in sin because we all do. There is no one with out sin because it is always present even while we are doing right. It lives in our flesh. The spirit must live in the flesh and in so doing the spirit lives in sin. The only escape is death or rapture.
    I'd love to be perfect, but for now, I'm freed from it's effect. The spiritual man cannot sin, 1st Jn 3:9, because he is spiritually born of God. It's the flesh that sins Romans 7:14-17. The flesh will not be saved we will be given a new body.
    MB

5. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Thegospelgeek writes:
    "I am sure that we differ on many other doctrines and inturpretations of scriptures. So why is it that so many people use this doctrine as one to divide us so. Most people will attend a church where the Pastor views things different than them. I have yet to find one that I am in 100% agreement with. But if they differ on ES, it seams they can no longer worship together.

Maybe the division is not as big as it seams to me. I just think it somewhat strange that the things said in this thread about the ignorance of those who believe one must endure is repeated when turned around."

drfuss: I have attended a eternal security church for over 16 years and do not describe my security as the ES people do. From a practrical perspective, there really is no difference in the security of the believer. The difference is in terms, definitions and terminolgy. Most on both sides believe you must be trusting Christ as Savior and Lord when you die to go to heaven. The difference is how each describes someone that "lives for and trusts Christ" for a while and then stops trusting Christ.

There are many misconceptions about what the others believe. For example, many ES believers think that those who do not believe in ES are not sure that they are saved; or think that others believe that works or sins affect one's security. Of couse, Christians who don't believe in ES are just as sure of their salvation as are ES believers.

On the other hand, most ES believers do not realize that most others not familiar with ES, think that ES Christians believe that after one becomes a Christian, a person can stop believing and live in willful sin and still go to heaven when they die as unbelievers.

In my situation, I let them say it their way and I say it my way.

6. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

Yes they can, the reason for "Chastisement".

2Pe 1:9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.

To eat/drink of the "lord's supper".."UNWORTHY"..can result in your "Death", as "Chastisement". (God only chastise his own)

1Co 11:27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.

28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.

29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.

30 For this cause many are (spiritually) weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. (term for deceased believer)

God will turn the flesh of a believers over to satan for the "destruction" of the flesh as "Chastisement", if it become necessary.

1Co 5:5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

Israel rebelled against God, (Jesus) as "Chastisement" are turned over to satan during the trib.

Ro 11:28 As concerning the gospel, they (Israel) are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the fathers' sakes.

God doesn't change his mind where those "Elected" are concerned, Jew or Gentile.

7. Dr. Timo

Dr. Timo New Member

Christians who don't believe in ES aren't as sure in their salvation as the ones that do. They are from God's standpoint, but not from their own messed up beliefs!!!:thumbsup: :jesus:

8. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

The bible answers "yes" to this in 2 places:
    1) Where the Corinthians were sinning with the Last Supper by treating it as a debaucherd feast and so were taken home"
    2) And the "sin unto death" which is a sin committed by a believer when the Lord takes one home (like the sinning Corinthians)

God has more grace than we do for sinning believers.
    1 Cor 11.28-30

1 John 5.16, 17

9. drfuss

drfuss New Member

drfuss: Thank you for demonstrating my point about the misconceptions of ES believers about Non-ES believers.

#29 drfuss, Feb 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2009
  10. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Thank you for clearly stating what I have been trying (poorly) to say.

11. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Obviously from a point of view with limited exposure to them.

12. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Once again, I am not debating ES vs Not ES. But I say that we are making WAY too big of a deal with the issue. DRFUSS states it pretty clearly that it is more a matter of terms and definitions. We argue over whether one was actually saved or not more often than there eternal home. We both agree salvation comes from faith alone. We both believe in winning sould for Christ. We both believe in living as close to God as possible and being a good witness. We have much more in common than we have in disagreement.

We can disagree about clothing, music, hair length, roles of women, etc and it doesn't seam to make a divide as big as the ES issue. Webdog has expessed why he thinks it is a big issue. DRFUSS has explained why he does not think it's a big deal. Others keep arguing points of why I am wrong and "ignorant" in my beliefs. Please tell me, Do you think it is a major issue and why or why not?

13. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

It's all summed up in the following verses.

Ro 6:14 for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

Ro 4:15 for where no law is, there is no transgression.

Paul had a "thorn" (sin) that concerned him and ask God to remove it,

2Co 12:7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.

9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee:

"one sin", any sin, make you guilty of "All",

through "GRACE", we're considered as "perfect" as God, not even so much as "one sin".

Mt 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

To fully appreciate "salvation", you have to "understand" what you were saved "FROM".

14. drfuss

drfuss New Member

drfuss: This thread reminds me of something our ES Pastor said at Bible study last Wednesday evening.

Our ES Pastor indicated that if he was not growing spiritually, he would have doubts about if he was really a Christian.

Many, many years while attending a Wesleyan Arminian (not Classic or Reformed Arminian) believing church, the minister indicated that if he was not growing spiritually, he would be concerned that he was moving backwards spiritually that could eventually result in losing his salvation.

The two were describing the same issue with the same result, but using different words. So we are only talking about different terminolgy and different definitions.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, else it's conditioned on man. Notice what you have listed here are what man does. Salvation is done by God. Even in the OT we see that Abraham had faith, and was credited with righteousness...THEN...the diferent covenants were given. Regardless if Abraham ever kept one covenant, he was credited with righteousness.

16. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

What if a man does not believe in Christ?

17. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No One will enter the Kingdom unless they come through Christ, The rest go to hell
    MB

18. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Are you sure?

19. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep!
    Joh 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Act 4:10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.
    Act 4:11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.
    Act 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
    MB

20. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

What if one does not love God?