1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eternal Sonship of Christ

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by ByGracethroughFaith, Nov 22, 2007.

1. ByGracethroughFaith

ByGracethroughFaith New Member

2. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Pretty straightforward.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Garbage, IMO.

4. ByGracethroughFaith

ByGracethroughFaith New Member

Why do you say that?

BGTF

5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    From your link

Hint: Where do you find the phrase "today I have begotten Thee" in the NT?

(Left as an exercise for the reader)

Christ was always the Son of God. But the question is -- what change happened at the incarnation. Phil 2 says "He emptied Himself" -- So He engaged in some change on our behalf. Certainly he has now resumed his role in Heaven as "God the Son" in a way that is not "emptied" as on Earth He states "the Father is greater than I".

I suspect there is a difference between God the Son in the OT vs God the Son in the NT in terms of His role regarding Humanity -- for example as the Heb 8 High Priest for mankind.

Probably a lot more to that -- but the Bible does not say much about it.

6. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Hebrews 1:5 For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?

Hebrews 5:5 So also Christ glorified not himself to be made an high priest; but he that said unto him, Thou art my Son, to day have I begotten thee.

Philippians 2:8 doesn't say Christ "emptied Himself"

Philippians 2:8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Phil 2 - NASB
    6 who, although He existed in the form of God[/b], did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped,
    but emptied Himself, [b]taking the form of a bond-servant
    , and being made in the likeness of men.

8 Being found in
    appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.

Acts 13:33 -
    33that God has fulfilled this promise to our children in that He raised up Jesus, as it is also written in the second Psalm, 'YOU ARE MY SON; TODAY I HAVE BEGOTTEN YOU.'

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Are you speaking in the sence that I was my fathers Son from the beginning of the world? Destiny?

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No I am saying that God the Son existed from eternity past and that from the moment God created intelligent beings the godhead adopted a "role" for each of the 3 persons of the Godhead such that all intelligent life new about the Father vs the Son. The PERSONs were known even if the roles were not perfectly described from day one.

in Christ,

Bob

10. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

The Bible says the role existed as the Word. The Word was with God and the Word was God.

I lean toward when the Word became Flesh it also because the Son of God. I say this because the three are one. It's not like there was a Father, Son and Holy Spirit sitting around before time, there was one God who had these three aspects or personalities.

1Jn 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.