1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eternal, Timely

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by pinoybaptist, Dec 24, 2007.

1. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am posting herewith excerpts of an Article by Elder Michael Gowens on Eternal and Timely Salvation for those interested in reading what Primitive Baptists believe about the 2 aspects of salvation.
    I realize not all will agree since in this fallen world, and especially among Baptists, everyone is opinionated and thoroughly convinced that what he believes is true and all others who do not believe as he does are either (1) of the devil, (2) out to lead him to perdition, or (3) thoroughly heretical, or (4) all of the above, plus some.
    However, discussions, of the friendly sort, help us grind our irons.
    So, for what it's worth, here it is:

There are 14 pages in pdf so I really don't blame you if you don't take time to read, and immediately just do a critique.

#1 pinoybaptist, Dec 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2007
  2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does Elder Gowens say about I Cor. 1:21 "For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God was well-pleased through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe"

or

Romans 10:13-14 "for 'Whoever will call upon the name of the LORD will be saved' (14) How then shall they call upon Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher".

It is clear from these passages of scripture that

1. God's plan for the appropriation of the salvation found in Jesus Christ is through the preaching of His Word, i.e the Gospel.

2. Salvation is not possible without hearing and responding to that very same Gospel. (i.e. "will be saved" as a future condition based on their belief in Christ)

Does Elder Gowens address these passages?

peace to you:praying: