1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Ethics 3

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Iconoclast, Mar 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes Biblicist,
    A pastor once said truth delights to be investigated.
    That echoes what we read in Eph4,5...walk as children of light. Live as Children of light.
    A question was raised is this why Christ died?

Oh yes, we are to be our brothers keeper.
    We are to let our yes be yes, no no.
    On a board where ideas are to be offered publically there should be no censorship eccepting course words, and profane blasphemy.
    Some get over heated, meltdown post things they should not..ok..at least we know what they believe. I might not like it, but I defend the persons right to post it.
    Our doctrine should lead to ethical conduct.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When you signed up to post on Baptist Board you agreed to the Terms and Conditions set forth on the Terms and Conditions page.

From the Terms and Conditions page of Baptist Board.

Note: We reserve the right to remove any posts without notice to the author or those who have replied. We reserve the right to suspend the posting privileges of any registered member without notice.

and

We reserve the right to delete any message, topic, to ban a username, IP address, domain name, or email address for *any reason* that we feel is deserved.

I suppose if you don't like it you could leave.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not certain that this thread (given the falseness of the previous threads that shared the title) is presented in a Christian spirit, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

There are two reasons why I disagree with the OP.

First, there is a stark misrepresentation of Scripture. We are not called to correct Another's servant. What the OP suggests here is not biblical because it takes biblical ideas out of a biblical context (it uses Scripture for its own purposes). This seems to be the thrust of a segment that of believes it is on a "holy war" against any doctrine that oppose their tradition. Thankfully they are a minority within that view. Unfortunately they are noisy to the point that they are disruptive.

Second, it speaks to the integrity of the person. We all agreed, as @InTheLight points out, to the rules of the board. They are not beyond discussion, but as Christians we should at least have the character and integrity to live up to the conditions we have affirmed.

If we look at ethics, perhaps that is where we should begin. It is like SBC churches who have complained about dishonest Calvinists (the claim of Calvinists who lie about their belief in order to get into and change a church). It is not ethical to confirm an acceptance of a policy only to whine about the policy once in the door.

The problem that some seem to have is understanding that this is first and foremost a Christian board. It is not a "Calvinist" board where Calvinists get to insult non-Calvinists (although that goes on). It is not a non-Calvinist board where non-Calvinists get to insult Calvinists (although that goes on too). It is made up of people who are not perfect and people do insult each other.

BUT it is a Christian board. Even when these things occur people should be expected to at least pretend that they are Christians simply because it is the nature of the board.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree but I also think we should strive to be as transparent and ethical as possible and to have no hint of anything to the contrary. @JonC I sent you a private message on this topic so I won't hash through that here.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not really sure what started these lines of posts.
    But someone’s acting like a teenage girl

This is a posting board, there will be disagreements and misunderstandings

You don’t have to win every argument, even if you’re right.
    Write your message, state your points and let thing drop before you get hotheaded.

You’re brothers after all.

Rob

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is not a perfect world, we are not perfect people, the staff is not perfect, but people are doing the best that they can in their imperfections. Tempers will flare because we all hold our beliefs as important (and correct). People will get angry. People will insult other people. That is the sin with which we struggle in this life.

BUT when we strive to exhibit a Christ-likeness that is prescribed in Scripture then these issues simply don't occur. We would strive to be inoffensive. When one fails, the other would forgive. When the situation continues both are wrong (morally, not necessarily in doctrine).

The ongoing nature of the agenda is, in this manner, very concerning because ultimately it speaks to the effectiveness of the Cross as all here are professing believers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will point out that neither of these are wrong by themselves.

Again, this depends on what you mean by offensive. Being offensive, in of itself, is not wrong. The Gospel is offensive.

• Like Like x 1
  8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I mean is treating another person in a less than kind manner.

The only "cause for offense" that the Christian is "allowed" to offer is the gospel - not in the giving but in the gospel of Christ itself. It is given in love. Among Christians the interaction is always kind, in love, not "puffed up", and for the purpose of building up the other person. I have never seen an insult given on this forum in that manner.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
  9. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    All of that is fair. But I also want to make sure we are clear about what we are saying.

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We do not have to forfeit kindness for clarity. I can think of no topic that could be discussed between Christians that would be worth rendering Christ's work obsolete in our lives to defend. What we have to remember is that the attitude we have towards one another is the attitude we have towards Christ.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    I meant clarity on the fact that the things you listed are not wrong by themselves.

• Like Like x 2
  12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would you like to join me in singing kum ba yah? :Biggrin

13. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    That depends,
    That depends....will there be a campfire and s'mores?

• Like Like x 2
  14. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Once again you are in the dark on this issue. This has gone on for a while. It is more than that.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not weighing in on who is right or wrong, but you take this way too serious. It is not nearly as important as you are making it.

#15 Reynolds, Mar 29, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Calvinist always accuses the opposition of ignorance. :Roflmao:Roflmao:Roflmao (Sorry brother, I couldn't resist.)

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If staff feels the need to delete a thread, that's their prerogative.

I do feel that, if queried, staff should be honest with the originator of any thread or post that gets deleted.

As far as this particular instance, it doesn't seem like it's going to be resolved. Best to move on, and if anyone is that worried about threads going awol, a screenshot is just a click away.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The issue is one of false assumptions. This is something that @davidtaylorjr brought up with his suggestion of transparency. We do not discuss moderator actions on the open forum but the orignator of the thread agreed the thread be deleted at the request of another. I believe it was the appropriate action. It had nothing at all to do with Iconoclast. Sometimes people become obsessed with things (DHK and Skan have not been active for a long time, yet both often are slandard anew...one this werk).

That is why I believe this is ultimately a "Christ" issue.

19. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are on to my secret. ;)

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here are two secrets:

Secret #1: I deleted my own thread at the request of another member. I was not the member who deleted the one's Icon is speaking of. That is why we have to be very careful when making assumptions about other people.

Secret #2: Those threads never went AWOL. That is just what we let people believe. They were executed for treason. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.