1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

EU Funding Artificial Intelligence Plan to Monitor Public for “Abnormal Behavior”

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The European Union is spending millions of pounds developing “Orwellian” technologies designed to scour the internet and CCTV images for “abnormal behaviour”.

A five-year research programme, called Project Indect, aims to develop computer programmes which act as “agents” to monitor and process information from web sites, discussion forums, file servers, peer-to-peer networks and even individual computers.

Its main objectives include the “automatic detection of threats and abnormal behaviour or violence”.

More Here

2. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What constitutes "abnormal behavior?" Praying before a meal in a public restaurant? Homeschool? Owning a gun? Going to church more than once a month?

I guess abnormal behavior depends on who defines it.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The OP links is rather ambiguous. A comprehensive search on the project reveals its intent to look for not only violent criminal actions, but terrorist-type activities and communications. In other words, no, it has nothing to do with prayer or home schooling.

That said, I generally oppose such projects. I understand that anything out on the internet is public, but there shoudl still be a reasonal level of expected privacy at a certain point.