1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Eureka! An Attempt at Understanding the End Times Prophecies

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Steven Yeadon, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a longtime student of history. I have wracked my brain periodically for four years, since becoming a Christian, to understand the End Times prophecies of the bible. I was streaming a sermon on Sunday when I was taught an interesting factoid. To have an understanding of Revelation it is best to use imagery from the Old Testament since the prophecy was written to those familiar with the orally given Old Testament. Another trick is to identify one thing you do get in Revelation's imagery and extrapolate logically what other things are. This was then applied with the Woman, Child, and the Dragon in Revelation 12. It was very eye opening and I immediately felt convicted to read the End Times prophecies again. I spent much of Sunday night and today doing so.

Between the relevant verses in Revelation 13 and 17 that speak of the Harlot Mystery Babylon the Great I believe I have finally made sense of things. I will first try to unpack my understanding of the Harlot and I ask for input to refine my theology. From this conclusion I am trying to understand the other symbols.

First, I must say that the Beast out of the Sea is a kingdom according to Daniel 7:23. Verse 24 tells us the horns of this beast are kings. This is important, since the Beast is therefore not a single person but a corporate community led by kings.

OK now to deciphering the Harlot, Mystery Babylon the Great of Revelation.

First, I will list facts from Revelation 13 and 17 about the Harlot.
    1. The Harlot Mystery Babylon the Great is a great city (17:18)
    2. A city that sits on seven mountains (17:9)
    3. The kings of the earth and those who dwell on the earth commit immoral acts with this city (17:2)
    4. The city is very wealthy, honored, and full of the choicest goods (17:4)
    5. The city is full of abominations and immorality (17:4)
    6. The city is a great persecutor and enemy of the saints having murdered so many (17:6)
    7. The kingdom represented by the fourth beast of Daniel carries this city (17:7)
    8. The city is the mother of other immoral cities and the mother of the abominations of the earth (17:5)
    9. This city sits upon many peoples, multitudes, nations, and tongues (17:15)
    10. This city will reign over the kings of the earth (17:18)
    OK now to decipher. This was easy to me given my understanding of history. The city is clearly Rome by being founded on seven mountains alone. When you combine this with being carried by the Fourth Beast of Daniel, which comes after Alexander the Great's Empire (The Third Beast of Daniel), this makes all too much sense. I found deciphering all the other points easy to do since I know Western, European, and Church History to an extent. All of the points are easily fulfilled by Rome and its association with the Roman Catholic Church (the self-declared successor of the Roman Empire) throughout Church History.

So, what do you think?

I thank God regularly that this is now all making more and more sense. I am now deciphering the scriptures on the Beast out of the Sea (the one in Daniel 2, Daniel 7, and Revelation 17) and the Beast out of the Earth of Revelation 13. This is because I have an angle to understanding them now through the Harlot making prayerful study of them the next logical steps.

#1 Steven Yeadon, Oct 6, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  2. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A great subject to do a deep study on, but I for one cannot understand most of what the Bible says on Prophecies, especially like the Book of Revelation, and the Two Witnesses, etc. Much of the stuff we read on this, is just speculation as the Bible does not always (like in Daniel) tell us what these mean. It will be interesting to read what others have to say. Have you any thoughts on these Two Witnesses in Revelation?

3. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are mentioned in Zechariah 4. I am making sense of it still myself. At least Revelation 12 and on is becoming more and more clear. It will be a while to plumb the depths of all this prophecy.

#3 Steven Yeadon, Oct 6, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    wow, you must have great insight!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  5. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is funny.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't spend much time contemplating what hasn't happened.

God calls us to live in the present and walk with Him in the now. We have no guarantee that we will live past today and there are people whom God desires for me to be a light in a dark land...today. I am content with this task.

7. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A short answer, Egypt, Babylon, Persia, Greece, and Rome.
    The two prophets "standing before the God of the earth." Are whom were standing before Jesus at His transfiguration.
    My understanding.

8. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just making sure, that was directed at @SavedByGrace I take it?

9. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you think about the woman being national israel of the last days?

10. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The woman is a great city though, according to Revelation 17:18. It also sits on seven mountains according to Revelation 17:9.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not speaking of the Whore of Babylon, but the lady that gave birth to Jesus, and goes out to Petra for shelter from Antichrist!

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, I'm sorry. Well let's take a look at Revelation 12. I have come to firm conclusions about the first 5 verses of that chapter due to the teachings of my senior pastor.

Revelation 12:1-13 NASB
    12 A great sign appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars; 2 and she was with child; and she *cried out, being in labor and in pain to give birth.

3 Then another sign appeared in heaven: and behold, a great red dragon having seven heads and ten horns, and on his heads were seven diadems. 4 And his tail *swept away a third of the stars of heaven and threw them to the earth. And the dragon stood before the woman who was about to give birth, so that when she gave birth he might devour her child.

5 And she gave birth to a son, a male child, who is to rule all the nations with a rod of iron; and her child was caught up to God and to His throne.

OK let's start with the easy stuff and build from there. We will start with the child in verse 5.

5 And she gave birth to a son, a male child, who is to rule all the nations with a rod of iron; and her child was caught up to God and to His throne.

OK, this is easy. Who in all the bible will rule all the nations with a rod of iron? Jesus Christ. In fact I don't have to ask that question. For, in Revelation 19:15 we get this description of Jesus in the Book of Revelation,

15 From His mouth comes a sharp sword, so that with it He may strike down the nations, and He will rule them with a rod of iron; and He treads the wine press of the fierce wrath of God, the Almighty.

So, Jesus Christ is the one Who will rule the nations with a rod of iron.

The next question is did Jesus Christ get caught upwards to God and His throne? The answer is yes, Jesus Christ rules at the right hand of the Most High after ascending to heaven in the Book of Acts 1. During his speech in Acts 7 (Verses 54-60) the martyr Stephen even claims to see Christ standing at God's right hand.

That figured out let's work back before working forward. Let's look at the Dragon. We don't have to even guess, the Book of Revelation gives who the dragon is in Revelation 12:9

9 And the great dragon was thrown down, the serpent of old who is called the devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.

This helps make sense of the third of the stars thrown down from heaven. It would appear that these are the angels that Satan tempted from God. I am not 100% though, but that appears the most straightforward explanation. Did Satan try to kill Jesus when He was born? Yes! Herod the Great has to be tricked by the Wise Men, who go straight home from Bethlehem after being warned in a dream. Joseph the adopted father of Jesus also received a dream to flee to Egypt to protect Jesus. Even then, Herod butchers the babies in Bethlehem when he learns he was tricked by the Wise Men. All of this happens in Matthew 2.

So the child is Jesus Christ, the time period of Revelation 12 to this point is the past. Although, I must say there is still a lot left to the chapter that I am trying to understand. The Dragon is Satan. Who could the Woman be? There are only two plausible options. Mary the mother Jesus, but looking at the rest of Revelation 12 that makes little sense. Or, it could be the people of Israel. This is helped by the first part about the moon, sun, and stars. Because, in Genesis 37:9-11 we find our answer. Joseph has a dream that comes true.

9 Now he had still another dream, and related it to his brothers, and said, “Lo, I have had still another dream; and behold, the sun and the moon and eleven stars were bowing down to me.” 10 He related it to his father and to his brothers; and his father rebuked him and said to him, “What is this dream that you have had? Shall I and your mother and your brothers actually come to bow ourselves down before you to the ground?” 11 His brothers were jealous of him, but his father kept the saying in mind.

So, the sun moon and 11 stars bow down to Joseph. The context of Jacob's response gives away that the moon and sun are Jacob and his half-mother Leah. The stars are Joseph's brothers, who will bow to him in Egypt in the future. As one of the sons of Israel, Joseph could be considered another star.

When all of this combines, it appears that the woman is the nation of Israel. Particularly, when Jesus Christ is born into this world. However, more happens to the woman after verse 5, so Israel's story continues on in this prophecy.

#12 Steven Yeadon, Oct 6, 2020
  13. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Jerusalem's seven hills are Mount Scopus, Mount Olivet (Mount of Olives) and the Mount of Corruption (all three are peaks in a mountain ridge that lies east of the old city), Mount Ophel, the original Mount Zion, the New Mount Zion and the hill on which the Antonia Fortress was built."
    Jerusalem's Seven Hills Map

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for the link. I had considered that possibility. There are problems with making it Jerusalem. Namely that as of the Roman Empire, Jerusalem fails to fulfill many of the prophecies about the Harlot and it fails to fulfill them afterwards. While Rome fulfills all the prophecies about the Harlot except being destroyed by the Beast. Thus, history gives me strong evidence it's Rome.

These predictions about the Harlot fail to be true if it is Jerusalem. Although, I am all ears for your defense of your position. (All verses are in Revelation 17)
    1. The kings of the earth and those who dwell on the earth commit immoral acts with this city (17:2).
    2. The city is very wealthy, honored, and full of the choicest goods (17:4)
    3. The city is a great persecutor and enemy of the saints having murdered so many (17:6)
    4. The kingdom represented by the fourth beast of Daniel carries this city (17:7)
    5. The city is the mother of other immoral cities and the mother of the abominations of the earth (17:5)
    6. This city sits upon many peoples, multitudes, nations, and tongues (17:15)
    7. This city will reign over the kings of the earth (17:18)
    Sir, I look forward to your reply. I would love to compare notes.

• Like Like x 1
  15. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. Was only stating what I was sure of. As so, misstarted the 5 that are fallen, Egypt, Assyria, Babylon, Persia, that is, the Medes and Persia, and Greece. The one that is, being Rome.

16. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps you have spoken a bit hastily??!!

Rev 1:3 (KJV) Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.

Guzik: Blessed is he who reads . . . and keep those things which are written in it: The Book of Revelation offers a particular and unique blessing to those who read and keep the message of this book. This is the first of seven beatitudes of Revelation (Rev_1:3; Rev_14:13; Rev_16:15; Rev_19:9; Rev_20:6; Rev_22:7; Rev_22:14).
    i. Because they neglect the book Revelation, many people miss this blessing. For example, the Anglican Church virtually omits Revelation in its regular schedule of readings for both public worship and private devotions. This is a typical attitude towards the Book of Revelation. Many people believe that only fanatics want to dig deep into this book. But really, it is a book for anyone who wants to be blessed.

McGee: Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand [Rev_1:3].
    This verse gives us the beatitude of Bible study. This is the first of seven beatitudes found in the Book of Revelation. This verse says, “Blessed is he that readeth,” and that means the reader, or in the church, the teacher. Both those who read this book and those who hear it will be blessed. And both the reader and the hearer are to keep those things which are written in the book. The threefold blessing comes from reading, hearing, and keeping. I believe those who go through the Book of Revelation will receive a special blessing. I really believe it because that is what John says.

Meyer: Let us not miss the special benediction which is attached to the patient reading and consideration of this wonderful book.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did I say I didn't read prophecy?

I said that I don't spend time worrying about tomorrow. Jesus spells it out for us.

Matthew 6:25-34

“Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very interesting, I will have to think about this.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  20. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you considered the six kings, five fallen, one reigning are the emperor's of the Roman Empire? I just noticed in my research that Nero is the sixth Roman dictator of the line of Julius Caesar.

List of Roman emperors - Wikipedia

I say this because Daniel's vision in Daniel 7 covers the empires of Babylon, Persia, and Alexander with separate beasts. The fourth beast also comes after Alexander's empire and has aspects of the three previous empires in it through Revelation 13:2. The fourth beast is figured to be the Roman Empire since it is the next one to rule the Medierranean after Alexanders Empire. Also Revelation 17:10 says the heads are kings, not kingdoms, which is of special note.

I will add that the seventh head that rules a little while and is the beast may refer to the Man of Lawlessness.

#20 Steven Yeadon, Oct 7, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2020