1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Evangelism Committee Chairman

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Jacob, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Jacob

Jacob Member

I have just been elected as the Evangelism committee chairman of my church. We are a semi rural church of about 100. I'm interested in people's suggestions as to programs, projects, etc which people have done in their church with encouraging results.

Thanks in Advance,

Jacob.

2. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

FAITH

Promote events that allow initial contact with the lost and get their names and addresses.

3. Psalm145 3

Psalm145 3 New Member

4. Jacob

Jacob Member

Is FAITH a program you're referring to? If so, where could I get information on this?

Jacob.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

For a few years I have used Becoming A Contagious Christian ny Mittleberg, Srobel and Hybels. I have seen each person freed from legalism and faulty expectations. I have seen them intentionally get to know non-believrs and befriend them so as to become their friend and not just another hopeful statistic.

6. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

FAITH can be obtained through Lifeway in Nashville.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

One of the first things I teach is one verse evangelism. I teach them Romans 6:23.

I remember a man who was very successful at teaching evangelism. I asked him what he did with them. He said, "nothing." His philosophy was to continue to meet with them in Bible study and pray for them. I find the same thing to be true. Eventually when they are ready they will begin to share their faith. Too often we bring up this big long laborious list and call it sharing your faith. The person is so overwhelmed they quit before they get started.

Sharing our faith should be a part of a regular conversation. It doesn't need to be forced and crammed down a person's throat.

The best method I have found is to take them visiting each week. Start the person off visiting someone they know. Often the response I get is that it was easier than they thought.

Sharing our faith should be the natural out flow of our faith. The more we know God the more we have to share. Some need a lot more encouragement than others. I find that when I make sharing my faith a normal conversation the person who is with me at times will be a part of the conversation. I never take a Bible with me to the home. I do keep one in my car though. If I need to use the Bible I ask to use their's. Usually most homes have one even if it is dusty.

Witnessing is much like telling what you saw when you have witnessed a car accident. I try to be sensitive to the person. Sometimes the person is uncomfortable knowing the fact that I am from the church. So I try to ask them questions and mostly listen. I believe that most of witnessing is listening to the other person. When we listen we show that we care. Most people are not listened to. So when we listen and show interest in the person they will share more as they trust us and know we care. As they share more we can be wise in what we share and ask strategic questions to get them to think about their relationship with God and where they will spend eternity.

Two years ago I led a man to Christ.He was having some personal struggles in life. He wanted answers. He asked me about why I seemed different. I shared with him why I had the peace of God. That night I led the man to Christ. He told me that he wanted to tell all of his employees. Immediately he began to read the Bible. Within one day he began telling his friends and customers about what happened to him. Within one week he led a friend to Christ he had known for several years. Throughout the past several years they had discussed their problems and how to cope. But this time he went to his friend and said that he found what he was looking for. His friend came to Christ that same night.

How much theology do you think he knew? How many programs had he gone through? But he knew enough to ask me for help and to tell someone else what I told him.