1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Evangelism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jordan Kurecki, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rippon are you a calvinist?

Because that would explain much your views of Finney.

Charles Finney ran into many occasions where people had been taught what he called "Old School Theology" , which was basically Calvinism, he had run into many people who had been taught to pray for God to give them a new heart and wait for God to give them repentance, People were going through religious rituals and prayers basically and hoping God would convert them, Finney was big on pointing the people to repent and claim salvation by faith by depending on Christ blood. Many people would have been left with a faulty view of salvation if not for Finney. Finney dealt with the destructive effects of Calvinistic sotierology.

2. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

[​IMG]

#82 RLBosley, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014
  3. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Charles Finney???? He is a false teacher. I can't emulate someone like that.

Brother I trust in the sovereignty of God in salvation and for God to bring his elect to salvation. He may or may not use me. Since most of my evangelism is via tracts and open air preaching God may use me to plant seeds in the elect. I do get into chats as well but I do not do any follow up so not sure if the person came to faith after our chat.

However one MAJOR error I made on the streets that I deeply regret was after I helped and paid for the lunch of a homeless lady I did not get into a chat about her destiny with her nor did anything but paid her lunch, heard her speak, and gave her a gospel of John. She could have came to faith, but I made the mistake...

Some good books that speak of Finney. Ashamed of the Gospel and I believe some of Washers do as well.

#83 evangelist6589, Aug 15, 2014
  4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do you know she didn't come to faith?

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fiiney denied that sinners needed to have any gracing from the Holy Spirit to enable them to come to jesus to get saved, as we were still good enough to have real free will enough to make that decision totally by ourselves!

Full blown pel thinking going on here...

6. Bob Dudley

Bob Dudley New Member

Tonight we will have a tent set up for evangelism at a church carnival in PA. It is a new church plant and they are trying to draw in the town with a small carnival. There will be a petting zoo, a soccer tournament, moon bounce things, food and our tent. We will have a banner that says, "Free gift with a message". I would ask for your prayers that the harvest is great tonight. Thanks.

7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Entertainment driven evangelism is not in the scripture nor was it practiced by the great puritans of the past.

But I do know what you mean as its a common practice in Arminian churches these days.

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Praying for a harvest. These type of events can be an awesome time to witness and share Christ with the lost who might otherwise never be open to listening. It is amazing how much more the gospel is accepted when people see the love of Christ in action.

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey Bob. I see you have AIM. Do you still use it? If you have a Mac the chat ability is integrated right Into MacOS with the Messages application. If pre ML use the IChat application. If on a PC you can get AIM.

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Careful on your assessments, brother. Neither were tracts.

11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

The printing press was not around until the 16th century. But the basic synopsis of evangelism to preach repentance from sin was in the model in the Bible and in the practice of the puritans. Neither practiced entertainment driven evangelism.

Bob you can make good use of this conference and here is how.

1. Someone needs to preach an evangelistic sermon that hits hard on sin and calls for repentance of sin. Perhaps not a pastor as they may not be the best option. WOTM open air preachers are far better than pastors as they hit hard on sin and call for repentance. They may not be ordained but so what? Bunyan and other puritans were not ordained.

When I hear a WOTM open air preacher and even myself I try and preach like George Whitfield or Edwards.

2. Pass out gospel tracts such as ones by The Fellowship Tracts league such as the following titles.

Heaven or Hell which one will you choose?
    God Says please do not go to Hell

Or just about any tract from WOTM will be good.

Remember Bob people will go to hell dying without Christ. People must be shown this in love.

#91 evangelist6589, Aug 15, 2014
  12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

God can use these unbiblical events to bring his elect to salvation so I will pray.

13. Winman

Winman Active Member

Would you care to provide proof for this charge?

I would be willing to bet you have never read one word of Finney's sermons or writings and do not have a clue what he believed or taught. I would also be willing to bet you have never read a single word of Pelagius and have no idea what he believed or taught either, yet you repeatedly make charges against both men.

Provide proof that Finney believed a man did not need God's grace to come to Jesus and get saved.

And I don't want to hear what some critic said about Finney or Pelagius, I want you to produce their very words from their own mouths.

I'll be waiting.

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Moon bouncy things came along even much later :smilewinkgrin:.

I do disagree in that I think the event is a good idea to attract people in the community to the location.

15. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did Jesus practice this type of evangelism? Did the Apostles? Is this type of evangelism practiced in the book of Revelation by the two prophets and the angels that will call people to repent in the last days?

16. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Did Jesus practice this type of evangelism? My answer is yes, he certainly did. Jesus went around performing miracles. When great crowds gathered to hear what Jesus had to say, they came because it was entertainment for them. They didn't show up because they were looking for God or wanted to her his sermon. They showed up because they were looking for something to entertain them and they had heard Jesus did entertaining things.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with having a community fair like this. I guarantee they will see more saved at this event that you see with your confrontational approach. You seem to get in an argument with someone every time you go out to "preach". Is that the way of the Master?

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

Exactly. Evans method is certainly more "sterile", but not more biblical.

18. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who among the elect will never hear the Gospel? Not a single one.

19. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It looks as if Bob has done this kind of thing before. Pray that it goes well.

I do not think he is looking for suggestions on it. For you to insert wotm here is borderline absurd.
    You handle things the way you think to do, and let Bob and his co-workers do what they can in that place.

Your obsession with wotm is almost becoming idolatrous.

I have seen their presentations and enjoyed them and their zeal for souls,
    I am not speaking against them or their theology.

I am more than certain that I would not agree with Bob on much theology, but I will pray for this event that God will bless the willingness and whatever amount of His word is presented.

If Bob asked you for ideas that would be one thing...but he has not done so.

20. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    PD...
    I agree with that.Have you read the whole thread? Bob made a statement that I believe is not accurate, or true.
    He stated that God had a awesomely wonderful plan for everyone....

I think this is a denial of biblical revelation.
    The truth about the elect hearing the gospel is one we can agree on.

The idea however that God has a wonderful plan for everyones life is a glaring falsehood....

that was the basis of the question:wavey: