1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Evd/erv

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Jun 11, 2007.

1. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the Holy Spirit can open the KJV to anyone, even non-native speakers, can he not do the same with the Greek and Hebrew?

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Would the Holy Spirit not enable us to understand the Greek and Hebrew if we truly had the desire to learn, no matter what our native tongue?

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Apologies for getting involved in the off topic discussion - if we want to discuss the current concept please start a new thread. This thread must be on the topic of the OP.

4. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Shame on you, Roger!

Ouch! Gotta get my tongue out of my cheek!

I'm just kidding with you, Roger. Many of us have done the same thing and cannot condemn you for it. Our minds are only human and sometimes easily distracted.

5. Askjo

Askjo New Member

When an interpreter signed for the deaf during a speaker preaches and give one verse (John 3:16), this interpreter deleted some words such as "the" or "a" -- depend on what a passage means.

For example of John 3:16

English -- For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son....

ASL -- For God so loved (deleted "the") world He gave his only begotten son.....

ASL is a short syntax grammar. Greek is a long syntax grammar.

#45 Askjo, Jun 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2007
  6. Askjo

Askjo New Member

In "written" ASL -- NO! Most deaf with average education can read English and aviod "written" ASL. I suggest "Signed" ASL in video that will be very helpful for the Deaf. I know a deaf pastor for many years. This deaf pastor used the KJV and gave a verse for his sermon. The link for you is to watch video with an interpreter for hearing people: http://deaflibertybaptist.org/dlbcv.html

Some deaf with low-education has extreme trouble with reading and are unable to understand in written ASL or English. They are able to understand "HAND" ASL only. They also understand ASL with facial gesture or body act.

#46 Askjo, Jun 13, 2007
  7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Askjo , in English part of John 3:16 is not : For God so loved the world that he gave his begotten son ...

You left out the critical word "ONLY" . That's a major point . Jesus was His unique , special , one-and-only Son . He was not begotten like everyone else entering this world in a sinful state . If the deaf folks you communicate with have a faulty idea about the true status of Christ in relation to His Father -- stick to only Son , or one-and-only Son .

8. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Just my incorrect memory. Thank you for correcting my memory.:thumbs:

I edited and corrected my error on John 3:16 in my past post (#45). Go ahead to look at it.:saint:

#48 Askjo, Jun 13, 2007
  9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No problem , Askjo .

10. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Sorry, Roger, but I gotta answer your question (even though I'm not among the deaf community at this time).

There is a group producing an ASL video Bible at http://www.deafmissions.com/
    The Bible: ASL Translation is the first translation of God's Word into American Sign Language. The New Testament and several books in the Old Testament are completed. Translation teams of ASL and original language experts work together to produce a translation that is both accurate and understandable, and which is not dependent on English translations of the Bible. English voice-overs are not included. Some of the many helpful features of this translation include sharp, colorful close-ups of the skilled Deaf signers; on-screen chapter and verse index for easy selection of Biblical passages; and helpful graphics, notes, maps and illustrations.​

11. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

I didn't see an answer to this question.

The video from Deaf Missions is described only as ASL. I would like to know if any one that reads ASL has watched any of these videos. Today I sent them an email asking what 'text' was being signed; I'll report the answer here after they reply.