1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured "Every Word..."

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by robycop3, Dec 19, 2020.

1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Deut. 8:3 So He humbled you, allowed you to hunger, and fed you with manna which you did not know nor did your fathers know, that He might make you know that man shall not live by bread alone; but man lives by every word that proceeds from the mouth of the Lord.

Luke 4:4 But Jesus answered him, saying, “It is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.’ ”

Among those words are Leviticus 20:13 color=red] If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them.[/color]

I'm having a discussion elsewhere with some SDAs about their sabbath-keeping on Saturdays & ours, which is Sundays, of course. I've pointed out to them that there's no Scripture commanding gentiles to observe the Saturday sabbath, nor is there any prohibition against a Sunday day of worship. they keep throwing the "every word' thingie at me, but I responded with Lev. 20:13 & asked them if they followed it. They replied it's Old Testament, so I posted Luke 4:4 for them.

And I reminded them that God said that if they depend on following the "law" to save them, they MUST follow EVERY JOT & TITTLE of it ! (A jot is the smallest particle or mark; a tittle is the minute mark placed over some Hebrew letters to distinguish them from similar letters, as we dot an "i" to separate it from the number 1.) So, if you don't follow Lev. 20:13 or similar ordinances, you're not following every jot & tittle of the law, & so you've failed them all as God said. (I said I'm NOT at all trying to get anyone to work violence against a sinner; just proving to you that you're not following the law completely !)

Other Readers, what are YOUR takes & opinions on this matter ? While keeping the Saturday sabbath is not wrong, of course, is keeping a Sunday day of worship somehow wrong ? (I'm addressing this to gentiles, as Jews, even if Christians, are to keep the sabbath for ever.)

2. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The New Testament addresses this type of legalism several places. Colossians 2:16-17 tells us "Therefore no one is to act as your judge in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day - things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ." We see fellowship on Sunday in Acts 20:7 - "On the first day of the week...we were gathered together". Paul tells us "One person regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind. He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God." (Romans 13:5-6).

3. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd add Col. 2:16.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My advice. I can only speak of the SDAs that I have encountered online.

Shake the dust off of your feet and move on. You will not convince not one of them.

5. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mostly, I oppose them so other readers will see the truth, & avoid joining that cult. And, while I hope that at lease some of them are saved, putting Jesus & His word above that of Ellen White, come Judgment Day, they can't say they didn't hear the truth.

• Like Like x 2
  6. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    would this be on the Christianforum?

SDA's teach that those that worship on Sunday will receive the mark of the beast, and therefore be going to hell!

The Seal of God and the Mark of the Beast
    Bind up the testimony, seal the law among my disciples. Isa. 8:16.

The living righteous will receive the seal of God prior to the close of probation.

The sign, or seal, of God is revealed in the observance of the seventh-day Sabbath, the Lord's memorial of creation. . . . The mark of the beast is the opposite of this--the observance of the first day of the week.

Sunday keeping is not yet the mark of the beast, and will not be until the decree goes forth causing men to worship this idol Sabbath. The time will come when this day will be the test, but that time has not come yet.

No one has yet received the mark of the beast. The testing time has not yet come. There are true Christians in every church, not excepting the Roman Catholic communion. None are condemned until they have had the light and have seen the obligation of the fourth commandment. But when the decree shall go forth enforcing the counterfeit Sabbath, and the loud cry of the third angel shall warn men against the worship of the beast and his image, the line will be clearly drawn between the false and the true. Then those who still continue in transgression will receive the mark of the beast.

If the light of truth has been presented to you, revealing the Sabbath of the fourth commandment, and showing that there is no foundation in the Word of God for Sunday observance, and yet you still cling to the false Sabbath, refusing to keep holy the Sabbath which God calls "my holy day," you receive the mark of the beast. When does this take place? When you obey the decree that commands you to cease from labor on Sunday and worship God, while you know that there is not a word in the Bible showing Sunday to be other than a common working day, you consent to receive the mark of the beast, and refuse the seal of God.

In a little while every one who is a child of God will have His seal placed upon him. O that it may be placed upon our foreheads! Who can endure the thought of being passed by when the angel goes forth to seal the servants of God in their foreheads?

Ellen G. White Estate: Daily Devotional - Maranatha

https://absg.adventist.org/assets/public/files/lessons/2018/2Q/TE/PDFs/ETQ218_11.pdf

• Like Like x 1
  7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not sure of your point, are we to strive to follow Christ's commands? Yes

But what do we lose if we fail? Our entry into heaven will not be "abundant" as we will miss some of the rewards of faithful service, but no matter what, once we are born anew, will will enter, perhaps as one escaping from a fire bringing little or no rewards with us.

8. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had forgotten that SDA has the false doctrine that says Sunday worship with the Mark of the Beast. Excellent point, Brother!

9. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    there is another, The Investigative Judgment

10. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've never heard of that, but you seem familiar with SDA doctrines. Could you summarize it? If it's complicated, I will Google it.

11. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's been a long time since I've looked into this myself. They may have even changed their beliefs

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Sabbath is on Saturday - We worship on the Lords Day (Sunday)
    to honor his Resurrection.

As you stated the NT does not require worship on Sat (the Sabbath), but does talk about the early church
    meeting on Sunday.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That man must live by every word of God is not at issue.

14. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The false "investigative judgment" doctrine says Jesus entered the heavenly temple in 1844 to investigate the actions of all men to see if they're heaven-worthy. Not found whatsoever in Scripture, it's an invention of EGW. She made it to keep the Millerites happy after the "Great Disappointment" of 1844 & try to win them to the cult she was making.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The marka the beast will be some sorta microchip. If Sunday worship was the marka the beast, HOW COME WE CAN BUY & SELL ON SATURDAY ??????????

16. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    much like the Reformed teaching on the death of Jesus! ;)

17. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's a false doctrine "scratch" or a cult "scratch" for every itching ear itching for a convenient religion. Satan worx 24/7 inventing them & finding homeboys to spread them

18. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have yet to have Sabbath Keepers give to me a verse where the Church was placed back under that!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul held to PST, did not know that he was a heretic like EW!

• Like Like x 1
  20. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    ?