1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Evolution/Creation Poll -- Please Vote!

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Phillip, Dec 27, 2004.

?
  1. 6 day Creation -- Genesis is literal

77.1%
  2. Gap or Old Earth, but no death until sin occurred

8.3%
  3. Old Earth with death before sin occurred

11.5%
  4. Theistic Evolution -- animals evolved until God decided to put a soul in one.

3.1%
  5. Evolution -- absolutely no need for any supernatural causes.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Genetic testing does not prove ANYTHING except that the animals have a similar DNA structure.

It only proves something if you are trying to PROVE the theory of evolution.

The Bible plainly states that:

Gen 1:24 And God said, "Let the earth bring forth living creatures according to their kinds--livestock and creeping things and beasts of the earth according to their kinds." And it was so.
    ESV

Oh, I know, this is just the way I interpret it. Someone just SAID that God said, "according to their kinds." After all it is just an allagory.

Oh well, I guess Jesus fainted on the cross and slept for three days because He was so weak.

He didn't walk on water, He had inflatable sneakers.

He didn't feed five thousand with two fish, he fed them with two whales.

Actually, NONE of this stuff happened because you guys are all "interpreting" the wrong genre of the writings.

If you cannot see how RIDICULOUS this is for a Christian to believe, then obviously the Bible is right about the "wise".

God expects us to have faith in the "unseen".

When do you stop you ridiculous interpretions and start accepting the Bible literally?

Where you "decide" to?

2. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

It is only neutral because you were programmed in school to make it neutral and not accept the fact that supernatural activity can occur. You have been programmed to ignore the fact that God may exist.

That is true but irrelevant to this discussion.

No, it does not deny that, simply is outside of its purposse and possibilities, to include the supernatural.

Do you really want to propposse God in the gaps as explanation?

Luis
    </font>[/QUOTE]Let me put it this way. You sit here and explain that science does not allow us to take into account the supernatural. Actually you are saying that God and science are mutually exclusive. BUT, then you turn right around and say you believe in God and supernatural power, but you cannot accept it when looking at the Earth because science "won't let you", so you believe that Creation didn't exist. Then you go and reinterpret the Bible to make it fit the fact that Ivory-Tower elitest professors who thrive on nothing more than tenure and spreading their infinite brain storage with unsuspecting students, world view.

DO NOT THINK for one second that many of these people do not have an agenda to make certain that God does NOT exist.

Take a look at Carl Sagan. His entire life was devoted at killing Christianity. If he had STUCK to science like you guys are saying then that would have been one thing, but in reality, he was on a crusade, both in his books and television shows to make certain that religion was ridiculed and those who believed it were classified as "idiots" who had not evolved enough to "see the light".

Sorry about getting a little stiff here, but this has gone on long enough with three or four people claiming to be smarter than most of the people on this board.

If you love science so much, but cannot accept a God who just might have created the world, then you may need to decide which is the most important of the two.

The fact that science is based on observation only is B-O-L-O-G-N-A. You know why? It also makes ANOTHER ASSUMPTION. EVERYTHING THAT IS OBSERVED CAME FROM A NATURAL SOURCE ONLY!!! This is a limit placed on observed phenomenon by humans who cannot accept anything other than a natural source. It is NOT a restriction of science itself; only those who want to MAKE it a restriction of science.

3. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

"It only proves something if you are trying to PROVE the theory of evolution."

You do not understand how science works!

The theory of evolution seeks to explain what we observe! Not the other way around.

"Genetic testing does not prove ANYTHING except that the animals have a similar DNA structure."

But I generally try to use the types of genetic testing that fails to allow for your common designer argument. If talking about humans and apes, I will generally go straight for the shared mutations. Shared mistakes are hard to explain in a perfectly and recently designed creation. I then go for the shared retroviral inserts. Why would perfectly and recently created seperate creations share exact inserts of the same viral DNA into the same places? For the whales above I use transposons, long bits of nonsense DNA that get easily copied and scattered through the genome.

These are the things I use. It is much harder for you to convince me that an intelligent designer would build deliberately mistakes into the creation that happen to make it look like evolution happened. Further, these kinds of mistakes and other junk are what have accumulated through the eons of evolution.

You can take these things and build trees for each such stretch of DNA. You get the same pattern over and over and over when using different pieces. You get the same trees when you look at morphology. Why would God go through so much trouble to make it look like evolution happened (happens)? He is not the author of confusion!

4. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Yes, but one looks for indications in a narrative as to whether it is poetry, allegory, fable, etc. Genesis does not read like a fairy tale or fable. Fairy tales and fables give indications in the text for what they are. [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]Sadly, Marcia, they have already ACCEPTED Genesis as a fairy tale or fable, or they would not be spending so much time trying to convince us that we are interpreting it as factual and spending all of the remainder of their time debating why we evolved from slime. [​IMG]

5. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

No I spend so much time because I seek the truth.

My problem is not with those who base their beliefs solely on the interpretation of Genesis. I can agree to disagree with you over a matter of interpretation.

My beef is with those who insist that the actual evidence supports a young earth. In without a doubt does not. And I find that great harm can come from insisting that it does.

I think that the vast majority of people who come to a place such as this and make their young earth pitches are honest God fearing people. But, from my experience, I do not think the same of most of the YE leaders. I was once YE. I sought out YE material. I was appalled at what I found. In my humble opinion, much of what I read was not just wrong but was deliberate misrepresentation.

The examples are easy to give. Start here for some examples.

http://www.baptistboard.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/28/2929.html#000005

There are plenty of anecdotes about people who have been taught all there life that Christianity and evolution are incompatible who then lose their faith when they learn the truth. Many wonder if leaders lied to them about the facts surrounding the case, then what else were they lied to about. Other anecdotes abound about those who never come to Christ because of this.

My opinion is that YE causes harm and that is why I spend so much time on this topic.

6. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Phillip,

Wow has this thread been active or what!

To answer your questions:

Yes I can conceive of an old earth without evolution. Yes I could conceive of animal evolution without human evolution.

Regarding the cellular machinery...

I have often looked at the human body and thought that there is just no way it just happened by chance. This was even MORE apparent after medical school!

Let me say that I do in fact separate the earth's age and the question of evolution. It seems, based on all we can glean so far, that the earth is pretty old.

Evolution WOULD explain alot of what we see but (I think) not ALL of it. And I just don't see how such advanced design could have occurred by chance. I do believe in microevolution - that definitely occurs. But I have a hard time with macroevolution accounting for all that we see.

I can hoestly say that I believe 100% in intelligent design and creation by divine will - but I'm not completely sure how it all happened! In truth I don't think the POINT of Genesis was "how it happened".

The main reason that, while being a conservative Christian, I do not feel compelled to see Genesis 1-11 as literal is that the account has alot of features of ancient near eastern epic writing. Stories about creation, flood, towers, and people all speaking in one language are all represented in the literature of several other ancient near eastern societies. These parts of the Bible bear the marks that suggest that they are theological, and not literal, in their significance. On this point Marcia and I disagree significantly. Furthermore I think that the NT and most of the OT are fundamentally different in scope. The point about "why believe the gospels if you don't believe Genesis" is irrelevant because the Gospels WERE intended to be factual accounts and Genesis 1-11 was likely not.

So that's my position in a nutshell.

[​IMG]

7. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

. . . pretty sure of yourself considering that you do not even know me.
    This is true, if the assumption is made that no supernatural forces are allowed to be considered. Evolution is the only answer left, if there is no master designer.

What common designer argument? The one that I believe that God is the master designer behind everything in the universe including all life and therefore would not reinvent the wheel every time he came up with a good creation. (That was later marred by sin, by the way.)

Another example of not accepting the Bible. Have you ever heard of "SIN"?
    </font>[/QUOTE]

No, but Satan sure is. I guess he is an allagory to, but do you realize that he is not only a master of deception, but master of this world. . . for the time being?

8. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Well is'nt it amusing,evolutionist take for granted thier intllectual supioriority looking down thier long noses at us poor ignorant young earth creation folks denying our ability to think at all.
    Just so you know our opinion of your intellect is not so high.

9. lchemist

lchemist Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll go one step beyond to say that at least Genesis ! shows evidence of being poetic.[/qb][/QUOTE]
    Haven't you heard abot the rich man and Lazarus.? But beyond that you are comparing two very different literary genres

Luis

10. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

So, now I'm assuming that Lazarus was not real?

Did Jesus do miracles? Walk on water? Feed five-thousand with small fishes? Heal sick and dead?

Did Peter have the power of healing a dead person? Healing the sick when his shadow fell on them?

11. lchemist

lchemist Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God does exist, and sciece by design doesn't deal with him or with spiritual realities.

No, what I am saying is that scien is materialist by nature, we deal with material stuff, with God's physical creation.

I believe in creation, I just question the YEC interpretation.

Funny I think that you are re-interpreting the bible to make it fit YEC claims,I do not want to make the bible fit any theories because by nature they are yentative and provisional, today we think evolution explains the known data better than any other theory, tomorrow this may change, so I cannot fit the bible to today's scientific knowledge, if I do that I will be missing the meaning, message and purpose of the Scriptures as the Living Word of God.

I love science, because it helps me to understand God's creation and to glorify him.

I'd rather have ham, Thank you. :D

So what is nature? Who is its creator?

Blessings,

Luis

12. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Why not? Even ESP is a legitimate scientific study today. What makes it different from what YOU understand as a REAL spiritual being?

Maybe I'm just missing something, but it appears to me that someone has made a rule that will not allow scientist to look at ANYTHING, but a natural explanation. If YOU as a scientist believe in a God, what stops you from adding Him to your equations when studying what YOU know He created?

You see, I guess where I am confused, is that if your faith in God is strong enough, then He would become a natural issue, because although He is spiritual, he has supernatural capabilities which extend into the physical realm. Due to this, it seems that a real scientist would have to take a very hard look at this theory if and "especially IF" He/She is a Christian.

Again, if I am wrong, please correct me. It seems to me that you are not only questioning the YEC interpretations, you are questioning everything written in Genesis 1-11 (at least literally). Therefore, why was it in Genesis and if it is, and you believe in God as part of the creation (or behind it) then it seems obvious that you would want to study it. (Keys sticking, on laptop, sorry)

Are you not only questioning YEC, but also using natural acts instead of creation based strictly on physical evidence. If you have faith in this omnipotent God, then again, why does He not get plugged into the equations? Certainly if He exists, things will change. Why limit your science to physical laws that God is not tied to?

Regardless of what you see in the creation, does God not have the capability of speaking things into existence.

Let me give you an example. As a PI, I see a lot of crime scenes. Ten years ago, we came to the wrong conclusion in some cases because of lack of new forensic capability. Twenty years in the future we will no doubt change again. About 70% of all crime scenes that I have investigated are NOT what the initial physical evidence would make you believe. And even today we must understand that our knowledge is limited.

I certainly understand your concern about some creationist scientists, but face it, there is bad science on both sides. AND, there is good science on both sides. You and I both know secular schools do not even accept scholars who would teach a supernatural creation. To you this may seem right. To me it seems biased.

Funny I think that you are re-interpreting the bible to make it fit YEC claims,I do not want to make the bible fit any theories because by nature they are yentative and provisional, today we think evolution explains the known data better than any other theory, tomorrow this may change, so I cannot fit the bible to today's scientific knowledge, if I do that I will be missing the meaning, message and purpose of the Scriptures as the Living Word of God.

I love science, because it helps me to understand God's creation and to glorify him.

I'd rather have ham, Thank you. :D

So what is nature? Who is its creator?

Blessings,

Luis
    </font>[/QUOTE]Obviously, its creator is God. But that also puts God into an omnipotent position. By ignoring THIS factor in your equations you WILL come to the wrong conclusions regardless HOW hard you study the evidence, because you are doing the same thing you are accusing me of, only backwards. You are making the Bible fit the evidence as we view it today. If God is the one variable that does NOT change, wouldn't it make sense to plug that variable in, assuming that it is accurate, due to your faith in Him?

I don't mean to sound like I am questioniong your faith, but it seems difficult to accept science without that variable, if you have enough faith that the variable does exist.

Now, granted, the variable is still based on unknown factors, because you will never understand the supernatural power God will and can use, but I do not think it is smart to ignore it either.

Forget about science for a moment and just think about this question and answer it. Does EVERYTHING that we see in this physical world HAVE to have a "natural" source? Does everything that we see have to obey the laws of physics? If so, aren't you limiting the omnipotent power of what God is capable of doing?

I'm not trying to be mean, here I am really asking questions to understand your belief system.

Thanks,
    Phillip

13. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

". . . pretty sure of yourself considering that you do not even know me."

You are absolutely right that I do not know you. All I have to go on is what you say here.

Look, I am most definately not trying to insult you. You seem to have taken what I say personally. And Plain Old Bill always seems insulted.

You do seem to be a smart guy. But there are a lot of smart people, successful people in other areas of science or math or engineering or other technical areas, who are deluded by the YE leaders because of their ignorance of biology and paleontology and other related fields.

Ignorance of a field is not to be confused with ignorance in all fields or of general stupidity. There are planty of things of which I am ignorant. It is not an attack on anyone. It is not saying that anyone is smarter or more intellectual, POB's comments notwithstanding. It is simply how much do you know on this topic. And study after study shows that the more you know about evolution, the more likely you are to accept it. Most rejection comes out of ignorance of the topic.

Now I say that you do not seem to understand how science works based on my perception of how you seem to think that it works based on what you say. You do not seem to grasp the scientific method at work. You do not seem to grasp that the theory of evolution is seeking to explain the observations that we see. You mistakenly seem to think that ToE is a preconceived conspiracy to get rid of God and that everything is shoehorned in to fit. No, it explains the facts of the changes we see in history, of the observered diversity of life, and of many finer details of biology.

"This is true, if the assumption is made that no supernatural forces are allowed to be considered. Evolution is the only answer left, if there is no master designer."

First, this is a fallacy. False dilemma. There ARE other choices.

For one that you may find appealing you could look to Intelligent Design. Leading IDers may have a position which you could accept. Behe for example does not object to common descent and even accepts the descent of man from among the apes. But he thinks that the proposed mechanisms by which evolution operates are insufficient to account for observations. So God is constantly involved in the process but it is still evolutionary but with a supernatural component. Dembski also acknowledges that ID is fully compatible with common descent.

But I am sure you could come up with other hypothetical answers to origins if you brainstormed a little.

"What common designer argument? The one that I believe that God is the master designer behind everything in the universe including all life and therefore would not reinvent the wheel every time he came up with a good creation."

Exactly. If I want to talk about similarities in functional genes then you will rightfully bring out that type of argument. So I go, generally, with things that have nothing to do with design. I go for mistakes, for junk, for useless things. Things that would make our perfect God a mighty sloppy designer if He stuck all that in on purpose. Even a bit deceptive since the pattern of all this junk consistently points to not just evolution, but always to the same pattern of evolution.

"Another example of not accepting the Bible. Have you ever heard of "SIN"?"

Sorry, but this is a desparate plea. I would also think that it is the fallacy of special pleading.

Just how would sin cause all of the apes, including humans, to have the exact same viral DNA inserts in their genomes at exactly the same spots? A FEW PERCENT of your genome is made of such inserts, so we are not talking trivial amounts here.

How would sin give whales and even-toed ungulates (such as pigs, camels, deer and hippos) the same transposons in their DNA?

How would sin give rhinos and horses the same genetic markers?

And so on...

"No, but Satan sure is. I guess he is an allagory to, but do you realize that he is not only a master of deception, but master of this world. . . for the time being?"

Another case of special pleading. So now Satan has modified all the DNA and arranged all of the fossils to make it look like evolution happened?

And, BTW, Satan is real. You seem to labor under the misconception that because some of us do not take the creation as a literal 6-day creation that we think that it is false or untrue.

14. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Dear UTEOTW,
    Actually I am insulted generally by some evolutionists on the thread.Not so much by what you say but how you say it.Please read back through the thread and you will see what I mean if you look at the entries objectively at all.

We do have different views which is okay,I've said that all along. We have our different views because of different backgrounds,training and beliefs.I believe I've aked about 10 or 15 questions along this thread of which one has been answered. I can be persuaded but only if you can give serious answers to my questions.I do not need to be taught or indoctrinated by any who have been indoctrinated by a school of thought.

Just so you know I go to the Old earth sites as well as the Young earth sites to learn and understand the different views and schools of thought.I try to be fair.I will say I have'nt studied science in a a serious way in about 30 years(I'm 59 now).This has renewed my interst in science so I will go out and get some biology textbooks as well as textbooks on geology just so I will be better informed.The only reading I've done recently concerning YEC vs. OEC is creation science books and the sites YEC/OEC I've been to and I can say from the OEC sites I'm not getting good answers just a lot of accusations about how all YEC scientist are liars or how stupid and uneducated they are or how YEC is junk science.These accusations do not convince me of anything because of thier defensive and condescending attitude.

15. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

Bill

I hope to never come across as insulting or condescending. I much prefer a conversational approach to this. I hope I have also made it clear how I feel about those that disagree. My chief complaint is with those in leadership positions in YE circles. I think the people that show up here are honest and faithful people. I disagree with them but I still respect their views and respect them as people.

I hope to show that many of the things we see have their best explanations using an old earth approach. Too many things fit together just so for it to be coincidence.

I also want to stress that as a Christian, I allow for the supernatural. I honestly don't think much of what we see requires the supernatural, but it has its place. For example, I think that ToE can adequately explain all that we see in life without resorting to the supernatural, but there is more to it. Life had to get a start. It is not clear yet how that happened and it may have required God's help. I also think that man was an obvious desired outcome. This likely required some shaping of events through God's will for it to happen. So I don't completely exclude God's role. I just think that for much of what we see, to explain it as supernatural makes little sense. For example, why would God as an intelligent designer give whales disabled versions of genes for a sense of smell only useful to land animals.

Re: your questions... I also have not read this whole thread. I was gone for nearly a week sking in Utah so I just picked up on it when I got back. Why don't you repost a few of your questions and I will try and give a go at them for you. As I said, I much prefer conversation to confrontation. I do not really expect to change anyone's mind. I more hope to expunge the waeker arguments and at least leave you with stronger YE arguments to use elsewhere. Seperating some of the chaff out as it may be.

16. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The evidence does not stand alone and support anything. This is what I have been trying to get you to acknowledge all along.

If I accepted evolution's premise that everything must have a natural cause then a literal understanding of Genesis is ridiculous and I must limit what I consider a valid prediction of the earth's age to those that allow time for natural processes to achieve the result we see now. But the limits posed by that premise cease to be binding once you accept any supernatural event recorded in the Bible as literal.

I hope that you and I both experience supernatural events every day. Hopefully, we both pray to a God that literally hears us and whose Spirit influences our lives and behavior. We see the physical results of these things- the naturalist would discount that prayer or God had anything to do with the outcome.

I think we both believe that both natural and supernatural processes were employed during creation. But to what degree? That's why I revert back to the scripture to provide the framework. Scripture determines what I am willing to consider... just like naturalistic presuppositions determine what an evolutionary academian is willing to consider.

It always, always goes back to one's philosophical bias.

17. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

Scott

Back to where we were. What form does the "genetically complex, highly adaptable" genome take? How does this work? What support can you yield? I gave you the only two options of which I can think. Accept one or give us another.

Now, what about for the horse and rhino. (We both agree that it appears that whales have a land dwelling ancestor. The evidence is incontrovertible. We differ on mechanism.) For these two creatures we have the same type of evidence. The basics will be that there are rich fossil records that lead from rhinos and horses back to the same common ancestor. Genetic testing confirms this relationship. Are rhinos and horses (and tapirs and zebras and donkeys) then the same "kind?" Do you accept this?

If not, then why not? There is the same type of support for this as for the whales. If you reject it, you must be specific in why. Else you are proving to me that you will accept some evidence and then turn around and arbitrarily and capriciously reject similar evidence.

"If I accepted evolution's premise that everything must have a natural cause then a literal understanding of Genesis is ridiculous and I must limit what I consider a valid prediction of the earth's age to those that allow time for natural processes to achieve the result we see now. But the limits posed by that premise cease to be binding once you accept any supernatural event recorded in the Bible as literal."

By the same token, you seem to accept that there is sufficient evidence that whales had a land dwelling ancestor. Are you open to ideas, such as Behe's that I mentioned above, from the ID movement that common descent may be a fact but that ToE's mechanism are not sufficient. That is that common descent may be true but that it required constant intervention by God?

"I think we both believe that both natural and supernatural processes were employed during creation. But to what degree?"

Good question and a point where we seem to disagree. Answering the above about Behe will help flesh that out. To me, it could all be explained supernaturally but it leaves God leaving a lot of things laying around indicating a history that did not happen. It just does not seem plausible that He would, for example, give man and the other apes all the same shared retroviral inserts in the same places.

18. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Evolution as any science is methodically limitated, God as a cause is not the concern of the theory, it is neutral one way or the other.</font>[/QUOTE] That makes it unscientific since the assumption that nothing outside of nature has effected nature is not falsifiable.

That is true but irrelevant to this discussion.</font>[/QUOTE] Huh? God said that men should be able to recognize that a Creator was required for what we see in the natural world and you don't think that is relevant to this discussion? Evolution's intention is to explain the natural universe without recognizing a Creator.

That places evolution's premise in direct contradiction with Romans 1.

No, it does not deny that, simply is outside of its purposse and possibilities, to include the supernatural.</font>[/QUOTE] You contradicted yourself only using one period.

Would you want to propose a mason in the gaps to explain the existence of a rock wall?

"God in the gaps" is a complete red herring. It is no more unreasonable to presume that God did something than to presume that it occurred by chance... and in many instances significantly more reasonable.

Do you really want to propose the god of "chance" in the gaps?

Once again we revert right back to philosophical presuppositions.

19. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are certain processes that CANNOT occur swiftly unless GOD were to do them. For example, the Grand Canyon could NOT have been created by natural forces in just a few thousand years and have the pristine appearance it now has. You can prove this to yourself quite easily...just make a gentle slope of sand & allow a gently trickle of water to fall upon the top of it. You'll see the water makes little rivulets that slowly grow deeper if the water flow is maintained.Now, turn up the water volume significantly, and see what happens...the little rivulets are washed away, along with much of the sand. The water creates a BROAD PLAIN across the sand.

On the scale of the GC...If, before it existed, a large volume of water would NOT have cut a trench in the rock; it would've washed away everything movable, and if it flowed long enough, would've eroded the whole rock plateau down, and the material would have been deposited downstream. Instead, we see evidence that the rock has been slowly & gently dissolved; initially there had been a higher volume of water, but it still took a VERY LONG TIME for the water to have carved the GC to what it is now.

God has allowed us to both see His evidence and have the means to understand it. He did NOT place that evidence to deceive us.

20. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I gave you an answer. To refute it, prove a mechanism by which the whale acquired new information that differentiated it from its land dwelling relatives... to the exclusion of every other option.

Agricultural pests are battled with pesticides. When there are survivors, they most often survive because they lack certain common genetic characteristics inherited by most of the population. Since they are immune to the effect of the poison, they are favored in that particular area though without the poison they might otherwise not have been favored. You have a permanent change in a population by subtraction, not addition.

I don't know. Although I reject genetic similarity as a conclusive factor.

Once again, if you can show where each of these species developed by deriving genetic characteristics from their parents all the way back to one from which all of the genetic information proceeded- I am on board with you. If you are simply looking at genetic maps then I would ask you to explain why humans are more similar to snakes than some mammals.

Every creative act made by man employs his/her characteristic, individual style. A painter uses a unique stroke. All of our handwritting is unique and reveals common strokes in various letters. Using a common construction design or material logically parallels proofs we have for a common creator. There are no real world comparisons to support evolutions mechanism for citing this as evidence of a single common ancestor.

Specifically, neither of us know what the starting population was nor what their genetic make up was whether it is as you believe (one simple, single-celled life form) or as I believe (a group of complex animals directly created by God). BTW, have you considered that any explanation you propose including the accumulation of genetic information works under my framework? I reject that it has occurred since we don't see it but it would not undermine what I propose.

After thinking about it also, my framework provides a much better starting point if you wanted to cite mutation as a means of speciation. We don't see animals evolving into higher complexity but that does not preclude lateral moves on the same levels of compexity.

UT, What are you doing?

You accept by faith that there is a mechanism though unobserved and unrepeatable that accounts for the accumulation of genetic information. Yet you demand categorical proof that the loss of genetic information/variability could account for speciation or that logically this would mean that the ancestors were somehow more genetically variable.

I would propose that we are now genetically set to a great degree so that we have very limited adaptability when compared to our ancestors.

(Edited at poster's request to correct a typo.)

[ January 07, 2005, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: rsr ]