1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Evolution/Creation Poll -- Please Vote!

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Phillip, Dec 27, 2004.

?
  1. 6 day Creation -- Genesis is literal

77.1%
  2. Gap or Old Earth, but no death until sin occurred

8.3%
  3. Old Earth with death before sin occurred

11.5%
  4. Theistic Evolution -- animals evolved until God decided to put a soul in one.

3.1%
  5. Evolution -- absolutely no need for any supernatural causes.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Thanks Craigbythesea,I get books from CDB occassionally.

2. lchemist

lchemist Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can read the readers reviews at:

THE BATTLE OF BEGINNINGS

Blessings,

Luis

edited because of length of URL

[ January 03, 2005, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: DHK ]

3. Plain Old Bill

Ichemist,
    We might both want to get the book recommended by Craigbythesea.
    There are several evolutionary theories floating about,which do you subscribe to?and Why? if you please.

4. Archeryaddict

Archeryaddict New Member

Bill you should see this beautiful watch that my grandpaw gave me.
    about six billion years it was just a spring then about 5 billion years ago it evolved gears and a watch face then after 4 billion years it evolved hands and the case then about 3 millionyears ago it was in the pre wind stage where th time eroded this beautiful engraving on it and its early development of its winding maehanisim and only about 1 million years ago the processof evolution put this beautiful gold plating on it. :D

I think evolutionists should study thermo dynamics before trying to get any one their lame TOE.
    Most ridiculas thing I have ever heard theistic evolution.

here is my BIG BANG theroy,
    God said, let there be and BANG there it was. :D
    </font>[/QUOTE]Wait another 65 million years and you will have a REAL "GRANDFATHER" clock. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. lchemist

lchemist Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

6. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

No you won't. ...and you will also be told that radiological data is accurate. After all, go count those 65 million tree rings that contain the information of the age of the Earth. :rolleyes:

Let me ask a question. If you, Bill, could be God for a day and you wanted to snap your fingers and make a world, would you snap your fingers and make each stage appear naturally, or would you snap your fingers and make an entire planet, fully functionining complete with fuel oil?

Obviously, if God created the Earth in six days, the evolutionists would be doing their radiological dating based on million year assumptions without having any idea of the levels of radioactive elements that God saw fit to place in living things.

Just as Mt. St. Helen's showed us that formations of ash can occur that looks millions of years old, if the scientists didn't know better; we find that God can make a functioning and living biosphere that looks as if it has been functioning forever. I am NOT saying that He did this, but it is just as believeable as the theory that a chain of organic compounds were struck by lightning and turned into a living cell, that takes a 2000 page book just to explain how that single cell functions. Let alone a human being.

You see, the problem is, the scientist is taught that everything has to occur naturally, so therefore, everything MUST fit in this natural world. Evolution requires millions of years for the theory to even work; so therefore, even radiological dating is based on the assumption of so much intake of certain elements. Go compare the tree rings and you find the same levels, WEllllll, duh, the decay rate is the same, regardless of whether or not it has gone through twenty half-lifes or just one.

It is not accepted in the secular and scholarly world to accept a creation. So, therefore, we are told that the interpretation of Genesis is wrong. So, where exactly do they start interpreting the Bible as a literal document? Just before the gospels, or after?

If you start believing in evolution, the next thing to go is the diety of Christ. At least that is what I have seen in the liberal seminaries.

7. Archeryaddict

Archeryaddict New Member

I reccomend another good one,
    the first couple of chapters in the book of Genesis you can find it in the front of the Book called the Holy Bible.

Now without trying to translate what you or any other man thinks "what it really actually says"
    what does it R eally Actually Say? [​IMG]

unless you have a problem with basic comprehensive reading skills you can see exactly what the scriptures plainly indicate. that God created everything in six literal 24 hour days.

Genesis 1

1. In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
    2. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
    3. And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
    4. And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
    5. And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

6. And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
    7. And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.
    8. And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.
    9. And God said, Let the waters under the Heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.
    10. And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.
    11. And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.
    12. And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
    13. And the evening and the morning were the third day.
    14. And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
    15. And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.
    16. And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.
    17. And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,
    18. And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.
    19. And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.
    20. And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.
    21. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
    22. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth.
    23. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.
    24. And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so.
    25. And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
    26. And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
    27. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
    28. And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
    29. And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
    30. And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.
    31. And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

Genesis 2
    1. Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.
    2. And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
    3. And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

8. lchemist

lchemist Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not a biologist, so I do not subscribe to any particular nuance in evolutionary biology.

Due to my scientific formation I do not believe any theory to be true, we just try to understand creation using the best evidence we have right now, in science we do not stick to theories like dogmas, we are more than willing to abandon a theory that is proven wrong.

Theories are created, evolve, and change according to the available evidence.

"The grass withers and the flowers fall,
    but the word of our God stands forever." Is 40:8

Blessings,

Luis

9. Archeryaddict

Archeryaddict New Member

yes and His word was given to the writer of the book of Genesis so what seems to be the problem believing it happened just the way it was written down?

10. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Uh, maybe I'm missing something, but I don't know what you mean by "When you said that you were breaking the commandment not to lie, and you know it."

I may have said something tongue-in-cheek, but I have never intentially lied; although I do state my position rather bluntly at times.

I appologize if you feel I have misrepresented your side (or my side for that matter) as that has never been my intention. I will say, in a debate, that you are wrong and here is why, but I will not misrepresent what you say.

I have been doing two or three things at once and I may have accidently written something that I did not mean. Please show me what you are referring to.

Thank you,
    Phillip

11. Plain Old Bill

Ichemist,
    There are countless "old Earth" & "young earth" pages on the net. It might be entertaining as well as educational to look at both sides of the issue there.There is good and bad info on both sides but you seem intelligent and I'm sure you will be able to sift through the gargage and get to the good stuff.This is not meant so much to change your point of view so much as it is to round out your point of view.
    There are sound valid reasons to believe in the Creative point of view.

12. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

13. Plain Old Bill

and another Amen!

14. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

15. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

But why is death sad or bad in the new heaven and earth if it's "natural" and a part of the creation of God, which God deemed "good."

You can't have it both ways. We can't say death was originally a part of God's creation and was good, and then say that when Eden is restored, death will be eradicated as a bad thing. It's either a good thing or a bad thing. The Bible makes it clear it is a bad thing and therefore, it could not have been part of God's original, "good" creation.

16. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

There's basically only one "theory of evolution" out there, but scientists do discuss details like does a certain fossil belong in a side branch or a main line of evolution. They do try to get new ideas in, like "punctuated equilibrium" . . .

As for evidence of evolution, it comes from the grand panarama of life history in the fossil records, including family relationships derived from examining the forms of the fossils compared to forms of living creatures; the family relationships were dramaticaly confirmed by chemical analysis of first the proteins and more recently by the genetic structures; it also comes from evident left over parts within species, vestiges if you please, such as your tailbone and your little toes and the muscles that exist for wiggling your ears (whether or not you can use them, they are there) . . . .

17. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Right, and the fact they used to think an embryo looked like a tadpole until they used internal micro-television cameras and found out that they actually do look quite human.

If God is going to create animal life and use DNA as the code of life, then why reinvent the wheel each time a new lifeform is made? If it is perfect to start with, everything would obviously look like a member of this "global family" you are talking about.

Just exactly how many fossils have you seen originate in your life?

Why are there gaps between families in the fossil record. This fact is a major issue for some of the scientists I have known.

The fact is, the fossil record more than adequately fits a global flood and catastrophie than it does random formed fossils. One reason is the huge quantity of fossils does not tend to agree with randomly formed fossils. The fossil record appears in certain strata that would have been left by a global flooding. Instantaneous coverage of silt and pressure would guarantee the huge number of fossils we find today.

So called, vestiges, mean nothing. Just another weak attempt at proving evolution.

You still haven't explained to me how you can get from nothing to a super-high-grade electro-chemical television camera complete with focusing lens, light sensing iris and nearly perfect focal plane.

Let me take another example. Take my pet duck. She flies. In order for her to fly, every single feather has to be in place properly and she has to be built with aerodynamics that surpass our best attempts at airplanes. Explain to me how each section developed when it takes the ENTIRE structure to fly (or even glide).

Tell me how bats started using ultrasonic radar with the accuracy, agility and speed to catch insects. What exactly were the individual developmental steps that would each make an improvement providing "survival of the fittest" while developing this highly complex system.

Remember, each step has to be an improvement that helps prevent the extinction of the species. I would like to hear what each of these steps are? AND WHY IN THE WORLD ARE THERE SOOOOOO MANY MISSING LINKS IN THE EVOLUTIONARY CHAINS? (including the fossil record).

Oh well, I'm going outside and watch some dead bugs turn into fossils. Or better yet, watch my un-mowed back yard turn into coal.

18. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

It really amazes me that a scientist can actually read an entire book, such as "The Cell" (a secular book that starts out briefly mentioning evolution, then spends a few thousand pages explaining the complexity of a single cell) and believe that this was the result of "survival by the fittest" and not a planned and created design.

19. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Well, if animals did eat meat before the creation of man they only had a day or so to do it. . . according to my Bible. (Your's too, I would imagine.) Since you are taking my scripture quotes to provide literal explainations, I'll do the same thing.

20. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Wow, 68% of 70 people believe in 6 day creation vs. 18% that believe in some kind of evolution.

Either there are a lot of really ignorant people on this board, or a lot of really SMART people. [​IMG] [​IMG] :D