1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Examination, is it profitable?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by agedman, Jul 27, 2018.

1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is born out in the Parable of the lady pleading with the judge each day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never associated "shrine" in the aforementioned songs with the superstitious displays. Always considered it metaphorical.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am also not very appreciative of contemporary music, and even like the older old songs better than the newer old songs. On the other hand I think over analyzing can becoming somewhat excessive, and when taken to that extreme one should just not sing any hymns of human composure but stick with scripture songs.
    I enjoy reading the history of how hymns came to be written, but sometimes it seems better off not knowing! Certainly the case with this hymn. I haven't looked at it lately, but I can't recall thinking any of the words taken by themselves (without knowing the background of the song) seemed to be out of order. But I must confess that when I learned the background of this hymn by a Roman Catholic priest, it definitely threw a wet blanket over the song for me!
    I'm not a fan of the kind of repetition that seems to go on and on in some of the contemporary choruses. Nevertheless, when I look at the songs in the inspired books of Psalms and see quite a bit of repetition, it makes me think twice about condemning repetition generally.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is significant difference between repetition for emphasis such as done, for example, in the chorus of "It is Well with My Soul" or in the Psalms.

I disagree that the psalms contain "quite a bit of repetition." Rather, what is seen is a phrase (often modified from the earlier statement) at an appropriate point in which a doctrine has been established. However, there is never the same phrase repeated as shown in the example in the thread.

Here us an example from Psalms 47.
    1O clap your hands, all peoples;
    Shout to God with the voice of joy.

2For the LORD Most High is to be feared,
    A great King over all the earth.

3He subdues peoples under us
    And nations under our feet.

4He chooses our inheritance for us,
    The glory of Jacob whom He loves.

Selah.
    5God has ascended with a shout,
    The LORD, with the sound of a trumpet.

6Sing praises to God, sing praises;
    Sing praises to our King, sing praises.

7For God is the King of all the earth;
    Sing praises with a skillful psalm.

8God reigns over the nations,
    God sits on His holy throne.

9The princes of the people have assembled themselves as the people of the God of Abraham,
    For the shields of the earth belong to God;
    He is highly exalted.​

5. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Like Like x 2
  6. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't doubt significance in the use of some repetition, and not in others. Any repetition in the scriptures is inspired, divine, and correct. When we start judging repetition in "songs of human composure" we may be somewhat biased based on our preferences (is it for emphasis, for emotion, etc.). To me, some of the CCM repetition seems a lot like that they keep repeating the same thing over and over just because they didn't have anything else to say but wanted to song to last longer. But maybe that's just me.
    On this we'll just have to agree to disagree. Repetition according to the dictionary is "the action of repeating something that has already been said or written." I believe I see "quite a bit" of that in the Psalms. Again, I am not using this to endorse contemporary Christian music, but to advise caution in how we speak of repetition in song. Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations. Some Christian folk may see repetition in contemporary music and repetition in the Psalms and be confused by railings against repetition.

Psalm 136
    1 O give thanks unto the Lord; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever.
    2 O give thanks unto the God of gods: for his mercy endureth for ever.
    3 O give thanks to the Lord of lords: for his mercy endureth for ever.
    4 To him who alone doeth great wonders: for his mercy endureth for ever.
    5 To him that by wisdom made the heavens: for his mercy endureth for ever.
    6 To him that stretched out the earth above the waters: for his mercy endureth for ever.
    7 To him that made great lights: for his mercy endureth for ever:
    8 The sun to rule by day: for his mercy endureth for ever:
    9 The moon and stars to rule by night: for his mercy endureth for ever.
    10 To him that smote Egypt in their firstborn: for his mercy endureth for ever:
    11 And brought out Israel from among them: for his mercy endureth for ever:
    12 With a strong hand, and with a stretched out arm: for his mercy endureth for ever.
    13 To him which divided the Red sea into parts: for his mercy endureth for ever:
    14 And made Israel to pass through the midst of it: for his mercy endureth for ever:
    15 But overthrew Pharaoh and his host in the Red sea: for his mercy endureth for ever.
    16 To him which led his people through the wilderness: for his mercy endureth for ever.
    17 To him which smote great kings: for his mercy endureth for ever:
    18 And slew famous kings: for his mercy endureth for ever:
    19 Sihon king of the Amorites: for his mercy endureth for ever:
    20 And Og the king of Bashan: for his mercy endureth for ever:
    21 And gave their land for an heritage: for his mercy endureth for ever:
    22 Even an heritage unto Israel his servant: for his mercy endureth for ever.
    23 Who remembered us in our low estate: for his mercy endureth for ever:
    24 And hath redeemed us from our enemies: for his mercy endureth for ever.
    25 Who giveth food to all flesh: for his mercy endureth for ever.
    26 O give thanks unto the God of heaven: for his mercy endureth for ever.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Scriptures teach us to sing a new song. Christ Jesus is worthy of all of our praise and the entirety of our heart. Sometimes I just wake up and sing/say "I love you, God" about 20 times before I get out of bed. I sure hope my Father is pleased with my praise. @agedman it's arguments like yours that hinder the Body of Christ from having any sort of unity.

8. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The greatest hinderance in examination of any topic is setting aside presuppositions. This is especially difficult when it comes to the fine arts. For example, Baptists do not worship the cross any more than we worship the tomb. Such worship is left for the papists who must be enamored with statues and relics.

As posted before, the cross was as borrowed as the tomb. There was nothing unique in the wood, or the nails that would establish that cross as esteemed above all others made for executions. Such items as the altar (sometimes referred to the "Lord's table"), the pulpit (sometimes referred to as the "sacred desk"), even the sanctuary are merely tools that can be used in the service of God and to explain the doctrines of the Scriptures. But these are not worshiped, are not held as trophies, are not to be placed as even comparable to the Lord Jesus Christ.

Yet, that is exactly what George Bernard did, when being upset by the callous remark of one mocking him, he (imo) became too exuberant and removed the focus from the mission the of the cross on which the "Prince of Glory died" (as Isaac Watts used in picture of the same scene) to that of such worship of the cross itself that it became an idol.

1. On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross,
      The emblem of suff’ring and shame;
      And I love that old cross where the Dearest and Best
      For a world of lost sinners was slain.
    2. Oh, that old rugged cross, so despised by the world,
      Has a wondrous attraction for me;
      For the dear Lamb of God left His glory above
      To bear it to dark Calvary.
    3. In that old rugged cross, stained with blood so divine,
      A wondrous beauty I see,
      For ’twas on that old cross Jesus suffered and died,
      To pardon and sanctify me.
    4. To the old rugged cross I will ever be true;
      Its shame and reproach gladly bear;
      Then He’ll call me someday to my home far away,
      Where His glory forever I’ll share.
    Refrain:
    So I’ll cherish the old rugged cross,
    Till my trophies at last I lay down;
    I will cling to the old rugged cross,
    And exchange it someday for a crown​

George was mistaken if he thought that he could exchange the cross of Christ for a crown.
    George was mistaken if he thought being true to the cross was bringing any glory to Christ.
    George was mistaken to love the cross. The cross was a tool of God where love was demonstrated to us, not our love for Him. We bear our own symbolic crosses daily in that same manner of demonstrated love that was first demonstrated by Him for us.

9. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are some who desire that the word "shrine" can be considered in a "metaphorical" way.

I suggest that even the world nows that it is not, and it is so very unfortunate that believers are content to lower their own Spiritual understanding to accept what is in error.

From Merriam - Webster: Definition of SHRINE
    Definition of shrine
    1a : a case, box, or receptacle; especially : one in which sacred relics (such as the bones of a saint) are deposited
    b : a place in which devotion is paid to a saint or deity : sanctuary
    c : a niche containing a religious image
    2: a receptacle (such as a tomb) for the dead
    3: a place or object hallowed by its associations
    (bold emphasis added)​
    Shrine is a noun - a person, place, thing or idea - in which one considers sacred.

There is One God, and no other. He is Spirit, and those that worship Him must do so in Spirit and Truth.

There is nothing of "shrine" worship when even considering that appropriate for the Heavenly Father.

There is nothing "metaphorical" about "shrine."

10. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree.

Some, perhaps in weakest will look at psalm 136 as an excuse, some perhaps for or an acceptance of vain repetition, and some because the are perhaps less understanding and miss the significance of the loving kindness found in all matters the psalms communicates.

As you stated, “Some Christian folk may see repetition in contemporary music and repetition in the Psalms and be confused by railings against repetition.”