1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Explain This:

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by preacher4truth, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Yeah webdog, you got some catching up to do, you haven't fought and argued on here for a few days!!!!!!!

:thumbsup:

:laugh:

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I knew y'all would miss me :love2: :D

3. preacher4truth

Let's pretend I and others have seen it happen.

I just don't understand where those who do it are coming from.

My NASB even says "received" in John 1:12!!!

I now understand why you want to hold everyones Allan!

:tongue3:

4. preacher4truth

Uh, there you go eisegetin' again!

Where'd I say I missed ya? :wavey:

Welcome back, I knew you'd need a fix!

:smilewinkgrin:

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Do you agree with TCassidy's "self salvationist" moniker...and would that be considered an attack?

6. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    rightly dividing the word will cause one to understand how God can have His people in all nations which implies the whole world and its whole chronology.

ETERNAL salvation has the blood of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world sprinkling and covering ALL His people wherever they are, whoever they are, whatever they are and gives all the glory to the Great Triune God.

TEMPORAL salvation (save yourselves from this untoward generation, etc) shows the beginning of a gospel people and the spread of gospel faith at a time when paganism (Rome, Greece, Oriental religions) and lawkeeping (Judaism) was all that was known by a fallen world.

ETERNAL salvation is God redeeming His people all over the world in all points of time with one fell swoop (for lack of a better expression) independent of their faith, repentance, obedience, knowledge, or conversion, a redemption which in God's mind is done and already accomplished from His eternal viewpoint, as the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world, and consummated here in time at the cross, by His Son, who obeyed Him even unto death, and in whom all of His people are hid.

TEMPORAL salvation is time orientated (again for a lack of a better phrase) and is DEPENDENT on the regenerate child of God's response to the gospel call for repentance, faith, obedience, faithfulness. This gospel call has a starting point: Jerusalem. This has nothing to do with his eternal standing before God.

7. Winman

Winman Active Member

P4T, I don't understand why this so difficult for you. Now how in the world can any person receive a gift unless it is first offered to him? The difference is that I do not believe God forces it on you, a person can receive OR refuse it. And that is exactly what John 1:12 shows, some refused it, they received him not. So, as you see, it is not forced on anyone. But to those who would receive him, to them he gave the power to become the sons of God. Why can't you grasp this simple concept?

8. preacher4truth

How am I not grasping this?

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

10. preacher4truth

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...or is it possible you are missing points he is trying to get across? At times we all fail in trying to articulate our position.

What this all boils down to is this. Faith is NEVER a work, regardless of where it comes from. God is obligated to Himself, and He has decreed to save those of faith. God is obligated to save those. The origin is not the focal point, but wrongly, it is focused on in these discussions.

Immutable truth = those with faith in Christ are saved. The paths, views and theologies created to arrive to that conclusion are not immutable.

12. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is not helpful to mis-characterize those who believe the bible teaching on the grace of God, as those who ......go on the attack, malign,go on the offensive.
    When a new convert makes a profession of faith,believers are happy to hear of it.Even if the professed christian uses language that may or may not be accurate.
    As part of making disciples a mature believer will start to plant seed of truth to a new convert,in trying to build them up in the faith.

Often times all that is needed is to use scriptural language,and complete verses rather than half verse sound bites. If the new convert is speaking about.....I did this, I did that, rather than God did something to them,that might be a good place to start....for example;

The statement.....I "accepted Jesus". While it might be better than hearing someone say I have rejected Jesus,it is still not following the biblical language or teaching;
    here in Eph 1 we are told that it is God who has made us"accepted" in the beloved.

All believers receive Jesus as Lord and Saviour. As we look at the full passage in Jn 1...we see why..
    We see that those who welcome or receive Jesus did so by the will of God.
    Not the will of the flesh,or the will of man.

So when someone says, I raised my hand to accept Jesus, I walked the aisle, I prayed the sinners prayer, I did cartwheels in the sanctuary, I signed a card, I cleaned myself up,......someone can do all these things and yet not be given a new heart by God yet.

Everyone cuts a new professor some slack. It is when as happens in here sometimes that people openly oppose the grace of God and insist that man himself is in control that you will see reformed persons react against this attack on God's grace.
    Some might do so having not been instructed correctly,or never even hearing of it....with them instruction will help. Others are just still in rebellion to the God of the bible,and His word.They are to be resisted firmly with the word, no different that a Christ rejecting JW.
    They are ever learning and unable to come to a saving knowledge. God alone knows the heart and motives of each person.
    The BB has a mixed multitude so from time to time you will see a mixture of responses along this spectrum. Even if the person persists in their error, others can read and learn by seeing the error contrasted with sound bible verses. The man centered false philosophy gets exposed by the truth that the church has historically held. new converts can grow in grace and knowledge.

13. preacher4truth

What did I say?

14. Winman

Winman Active Member

How is receiving a free gift earning it? By your way of thinking, stealing would be earning. If I rob a bank, did I earn the money I took? Afterall, it took effort to stick a gun in the teller's face.

15. preacher4truth

I haven't mischaracterized them. I've seen it. On here. Thus, I ask for an explanation as to why these terms are rejected, and why some who have said this have been called out for it.

16. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

No such position in the Scriptures.

You are, in essence, arguing for universal salvation, even though I know that you are only applying your theology to the elect. As has been said before, "elect" does not mean "saved." "Saved" is a much broader term than that, both scripturally and theologically (which should be one and the same).

17. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Are you going to answer my post above?

18. Winman

Winman Active Member

Give me a break, John 1:12 says, "but to those who received him". The action is attributed to the believer.

19. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Are you going to answer my post above?

20. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really ?
    Why don't we begin our discussion with you elaborating on "saved".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.