1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Extra! Extra! Guns Stop Crime!

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by James_Newman, Apr 19, 2007.

1. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=55288

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I can remember the days when several students took guns to school so they could go hunting after school. They would bring them to school and had them locked up in a teacher's locker. It was no big deal then. I think every kid I knew had a gun.

3. Pete

Pete New Member

Don't confuse the ban everything that bangs brigade with facts....

4. North Carolina Tentmaker

Just for the record Kennesaw is only 30 miles from downtown Atlanta and has over 30,000 citizens. To me that no longer qualifies as a small town. But then I do live in a small town.

5. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

It's a suburb now.

I used to consider suburbs "rural".

Now, I live in a town of 4,000 that is 70 miles from the next town, and I think it's getting too big.

6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=OTIwYzMyZmQ1YzQ1MDNmZTMyYzQ1Y2U3YTU4YzNmNGE=

April 20, 2007 10:31 AM

Signs of Intelligence?

By Fred Thompson

EXCERPT

One of the things that's got to be going through a lot of peoples' minds now is how one man with two handguns, that he had to reload time and time again, could go from classroom to classroom on the Virginia Tech campus without being stopped. Much of the answer can be found in policies put in place by the university itself.

Virginia, like 39 other states, allows citizens with training and legal permits to carry concealed weapons. That means that Virginians regularly sit in movie theaters and eat in restaurants among armed citizens. They walk, joke, and rub shoulders everyday with people who responsibly carry firearms — and are far safer than they would be in San Francisco, Oakland, Detroit, Chicago, New York City, or Washington, D.C., where such permits are difficult or impossible to obtain.

The statistics are clear. Communities that recognize and grant Second Amendment rights to responsible adults have a significantly lower incidence of violent crime than those that do not. More to the point, incarcerated criminals tell criminologists that they consider local gun laws when they decide what sort of crime they will commit, and where they will do so.

Still, there are a lot of people who are just offended by the notion that people can carry guns around. They view everybody, or at least many of us, as potential murderers prevented only by the lack of a convenient weapon. Virginia Tech administrators overrode Virginia state law and threatened to expel or fire anybody who brings a weapon onto campus.