1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Extremely strict colleges...your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by rbell, Nov 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me see. In this post you say I am "full of bologna" (I did not say this about you), suggest I think the Word of God is insufficient, suggest you have every right to assume my unstated position, and then you doubt my manhood. You are back to being abrasive. I have no personal need to interact with you any more on this thread.

I'm 58, almost 59. In a little over a year I'll be 60, the age at which Habazaki San tells me one is old. Here you are, not "manly enough" (using your words) to put your age on your profile, but obviously quite a bit younger than I am. I hope when you become aged you receive more respect from younger people than you yourself currently give older folk. The Bible says you are not to rebuke elders, but entreat them as fathers. Yet you are full of rebukes for us older folk on the BB.

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Yes, you live in Texas, a hop, skip and jump from Pensacola. To you "it is one of the best known...," but not necessarily to all others. I live in Canada. If I say Pensacola Christian College, most people will say: Say whaaaa???
    Never heard of it. On the other hand if I mention that I have been to Bob Jones University, most know exactly what I am referring to. Their reputation goes before them far and wide. And that includes the unsaved crowd. Among the fundamental churches here most send their children (maybe I should emphasize that latter word), to either Maranatha or Northland, colleges they believe that they can entrust their children to. There is a good reason for that. They know that the faculty will take an interest in the students. When that happens you know that there are going to be stricter rules than a free-for-all no-holds-bar college where anything goes.

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I want to know why people as far away as Japan, Canada, Long Island, and Wyoming know of BJU's strict rules, but someone whose orbit is "the Southeast", "from Virginia to Louisiana" says things like:
    and

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

It's pretty simple. BJU is not that big a deal in the Southeast except among Independent Baptists. Furthermore, once again, very simple, I do not know the handbook of Duke University or the University of Alabama (the campuses both of which I have visited) and they are far larger and better known than BJU and they are in the Southeast.

I don't figure you know the handbook of a hundred well known colleges in your region, is that right? Far less do you know about those less well known.

New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary is just about two and half hours from where I live and I do not know their handbook, either- and they are far larger than BJU I would imagine. Southern Seminary in Louisville, KY is the largest Seminary on the planet and I do not know their handbook.

SO why do you want to know this??

5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Is this an argument, John, or are you playing the victim? If you ahve a point other than ad hominem assault of me for dare debating you as old as you are- I can't see it.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because great schools like BJU have grads who are sent as missionaries to the uttermost part of the earth.
    You see they are more interested in presenting the blessed Gospel of Jesus Christ to to a lost and dying world than worry about loosing a few of "their rights" thur some rules.

#166 Salty, Nov 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2010
  7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Your right Salty.

Some here can't see that; but then they have never been there and don't know much about it.

I don't much about PCC, and don't use it as a standard.
    I am a graduate of Maranatha (at a time where 90% of the teachers came from BJU, and most still do), and I also have a post-graduate degree from BJU, where I did stay on campus. Both schools were comparable in rules. Northland, which I have visited is much like Maranatha.

It seems to me that some here have tunnel vision. They see these colleges and/or universities through one bad experience of one college. Having done that they, don't know what people are referring to as the "strict colleges" because they can only look at it through their narrow lens of one college. That really is a pity.

#167 DHK, Nov 21, 2010
  8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was meant to be a Biblical rebuke, as verses in Proverbs teach. I believe I've been preaching the Gospel longer than you've been alive (40 years this year). If you then are comfortable with the disrespect you show to me and others, I've done my duty. I won't do so again, since you reject rebuke.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I preached my first message in Jan 1973 at Zweibruecken Baptist Church (Germany) - wow we must be just the same age....

#169 Salty, Nov 21, 2010
  10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You old codger you! :thumbs: I preached my first message at age 18 sometime in the Spring of 1970 at Faith Baptist Church in Racine, WI (a GARB church, merged with another some years ago).

11. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Biblical rebuke? Wow.

This is a debate forum. Age isn't an issue. It's about the topic.

And there also are lots of smart young people and stupid old people.

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jag, just curious, when did you graduate high school.

and by the way, have you heard this parable from Honor The Wise Person

"When I went to college, my father was a fool. When I came back four years later, i was amazed how much wiser he'd became!"

- Mark Twain

Salty

13. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Sometime between 1910 and 2010. College too.

I honor wise people, old and young. I lap up every ounce of wisdom I can get. I have been blessed to be around many wise people, and for that I am grateful.

But this is a debate forum. While we should conduct ourselves in a civilized and respectful way, we can't simply assume that the older ones among us are automatically the wisest.

Experience is a good teacher, but there has to be a willing student.

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see. So you believe Christians are allowed to be rude and disrespectul in a debate? The Bible says "Let all your things be done with love" (1 Cor. 16:14) and "Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man" (Col. 3:6). This applies to the Baptist Board just as well as the services of the church or a family in the home.

Besides that, rudeness and abrasiveness do not win debates. Wisdom, understanding and knowledge do. Have you ever seen a moderated debate, a competitive debate? The attitide Luke has been taking would lose him points.
    True. And your point is? Both dumb people and smart people can be rude or respectul, and both young and old people can be rude or respectul. I much prefer respectful.

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Welcome to the USA, John of Japan. Perhaps you are better placed in the orient where they will give you the respect due you...or more importantly you think you are entitled to. However in my country, the USA, we listen to every point of view & if full of lunch meat is considered an insult, Im your peer in age & the kid is being kind to you...I would have been more explicit.

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

As a student you are not very willing to learn. Here is what you say about yourself:
    We know that you are a Music teacher living in Texas, married, and yet young enough to be a student at the same time.
    Your location and your posts show that you have limited knowledge of fundamentalist schools (those with strict rules). You use PCC as your standard and yet seem to be ignorant of BJU, which is just as strict, if not more. You can't see the forest for the trees. You have tunnel vision because of limited experience due to your youth and woeful ignorance about other fundamental colleges. That statement is a rightful conclusion based on statements you have made about other colleges, all the while ceding the point that PCC is your standard.

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not only Asia, though Confucianism teaches more respect for age than the average American has. It's generational/geographical. My mother was a Texan, I lived in Tennessee as a kid. We were taught to respect elders, and to this day I say "sir" and "maam" not only to those older than me, but sometimes to folk younger than me. Furthermore, I think such respect is Biblical, because of many passages (Prov. 16:31, Lev. 19:32, etc.).
    Are you kidding? I personally am entitled to no respect whatsoever. I am entitled only to eternity in Hell, and I shudder every time I imagine what I would be without the salvation and regeneration of my Lord Jesus Christ. But I believe age is entitled to respect. (I'll say "Yes sir" to a God-hating atheist if he is older than I am.) And I believe "labor in the word and doctrine" for Christ is entitled to respect. (1 Tim. 5:17).
    Here's the thing. This is only the second time in my years on the BB that I've told someone I was rebuking them, though I have used a Biblical rebuke other times--rarely. The Bible teaches that it is not wise to rebuke a fool. Luke is not a fool. I rebuked Luke because I believe he has great potential. He's intelligent, I believe he loves the Lord. I'm hoping my rebuke will help him. He and I have gone around before about this, and on one thread he said that he thought abrasiveness was a good debate technique, which I think is wrong-headed. I think he needs to learn graciousness. If he rejects my rebuke and goes on as before, that's entirely up to him. In that case, I'll not do it again.

God bless.

18. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

*Sigh* Sweet mercy.

I am working on a second masters, if you must know. The age range in my particular class is about 25 to 60, so that really doesn't prove anything.

PCC is a pretty good example, and it's one of the more recognizable among people in my part of the country. I am familiar with other battalions like BoJo, as well. In fact, I even used BoJo's curriculum when I was a child and know several people who went there.

Woeful ignorance about other fundamental colleges? Even if I was ignorant, can anyone truly be woefully ignorant about fundamentalist colleges? Seems like ignorance might be bliss in that case.

I don't know why you are so worried about me, to tell you the truth. I seem to have incited some anger somewhere along the line.

19. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Lapping from the pool of liberalism is not the same as lapping up wisdom.

20. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say that John of Japan should be an example for us all. The Fruits of the Spirit are clearly seen in his actions on this board. I for one am glad to see a wonderful example of Christian love and patience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.