1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Eye Opening Music Education

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jordan Kurecki, May 23, 2014.

1. thisnumbersdisconnected

I want you to listen to Casting Crowns singing "Love You With the Truth" and tell me this CCM song does the opposite of what the Bible teaches. And if you feel that it does, would you please post your reasons for continuing to feel that way? The lyrics are included onscreen, as it is the band's official lyric video.

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've got the feeling that it wouldn't matter how many logical arguments were presented or how many examples of good CCM music were given, Jordan has made up his mind that any music with a syncopated beat is going to be sensual and "worldly".

I grew up in a household that believed this way. It quite simply is a doctrine of man and not of the Bible. It is based on tenuous arguments. It is stretching separation from the world to encompass whatever action or behavior some pastor deems to be objectionable.

For these ultra-separatists CCM is in the same category as card playing, attending movies, dancing, mixed gender swimming, length of hair on men, length of skirts on women, wearing of pants on women, etc. The fact is that the verses, "Abstain from all appearance of evil" and "Love not the world" can be misapplied to just about anything. Using these verses I could argue that it is a sin to wear dress shoes or neckties. Or entering sweepstake contests. Or using coupons at the grocery store. Having mixed gender schoolroom classes. It just goes on and on and on...

Jordan has drawn his line in the sand. Hopefully, maturity and wisdom will follow and he won't have contempt for CCM later in his life. Maybe we should leave him alone.

3. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    IDK, I'd keep in mind that people are rarely persuaded in a debate. They shouldn't have to be, either: that's not the purpose of debate.

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a total misunderstanding. Seriously - how are you going to get un-syncopated drum rhythms?!?

One of the old arguments against modern rock music was how similar the drum patterns sounded to African tribal drums, or even voodoo drum rhythms. The erroneous conclusion was that rock music was influenced by those sources; the reality is that drum rhythms are like human nature: pretty much the same everywhere you go.

5. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No no no no. This is not true.

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One last question that In The Light made me think of, and it's one I had to ask my son after he attended a youth event that taught drums were evil: according to several passages in the New Testament, God created each of us with individual, unique gifts and talents. According to 1 Peter 4, whatever our gift, we should use it to glorify God.

So if one person has an uncanny ability for playing the piano, it's okay if they use that gift to glorify God. If another can play violin, it's okay if they use that gift to glorify God.

But if they have a true gift for playing drums, or other percussive instruments, well....

And if their gift causes them to leap, and to dance, and to jump, just as David did, well, remember--David's wife rebuked him for his actions...and then he rebuked her for stifling the joyous expression of love for our God.

7. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can't just say it's not true. Prove it's not.

8. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Prove it's true, your the one who made the original claim.

Also I never said that the drums are evil... don't put words in my mouth...

And your logic is not valid.

So if I have a talent of selling drugs does that make it ok to use it?

9. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I provided my proof. My own experience with other cultures. There's also listening to music from other cultures. And there are studies of music and culture throughout history -- studies that start from just studying, instead of starting from a pre-conceived position, and then straining to prove that position.

I never said you did. I used drums as part of a discussion invalidating the video arguments you started this thread with.

What exactly is a "talent of selling drugs"? As compared to the talent of playing a musical instrument? You've been throwing out "apples and oranges" at people throughout this thread; you've just done the same.

10. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Certainly, if you work for Phizer or Astra Zeneca.