1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ezekiel 2:3

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Australian Baptist Student, Jul 5, 2002.

1. Australian Baptist Student

Ezekiel 2:3, part of Ezekiel's call vision, links beautifully with Ezekiel 37 in the Hebrew. 2:3 reads, "I send you to the children of Israel, the nations rebelling ... they and their fathers rebelled to the bone" Here, disunity is seen as a consequence of sinning "to the bone". In 37, they are healed from the bones outwards, and then the two parts of Israel are joined, ending the rebellion (so the structure is "A-B B-A"). In 2:3, God shows the symptom, then the cause, in 37 he heals the cause, and the symptom dissapears.
    My question is, can anyone find an English version which remains true to the Hebrew on either significant part of 2:3, that is, rebellious NATIONS, and rebelled TO THE BONE?
    All the best, Colin

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

IN looking at the Hebrew, I am not convinced you have understood it properly. ad-'etzem seems to strengthen the pash'u, thus leading to the NIV's strong "revolt." Furthermore, that would seem at best to be a very oblique reference to Eze 37 at. What sources support you on this?

3. Australian Baptist Student

"looking at the Hebrew, I am not convinced you have understood it properly. ad-'etzem
    seems to strengthen the pash'u, thus leading to the NIV's strong "revolt." Furthermore,
    that would seem at best to be a very oblique reference to Eze 37 at. What sources support
    you on this?[/QB][/QUOTE]

Dear Pastor Larry, sorry for the delay, I forgot my password!
    Having just looked through my commentaries, I must confess that I am not sure where I
    got the idea from. I exegeted the passage in Hebrew myself several years ago, which is
    when I made the connection, but whether that was through reading a different
    commentary, or on my own, I have no idea.
    I fully agree that the figure of speech "ad etzem" serves here as an intensifier, and that
    "sinned grievously" etc., are reasonable translations. Might "They were bad to the bone"
    be another? My translation point was more re the plural "nations" which does seem to be
    lost in our translations.
    Do you think there could be some connection between his vision call, "Go to the nations
    of Israel" (divided because of sin), they are "bad to the bone", and the restoration of
    Israel, from the bone, leading to their becoming reunited in the climax of chapter 37?
    Thanks for your feedback, God bless, Colin
    PS., do you know how to do a spell check in this reply box??? [​IMG]

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I haven't studied it in depth. I would be a bit skeptical since these passages are separated by so much but I could be persuaded.

Proofread [​IMG]