1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Face Off Between The KJV And NIV

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Sep 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We should IMO consider the simplistic view of this scripture, that the love of money is indeed the root of all evils.

This sounds crass but the crassness is in the minds of men NOT God.

e.g. Rape which has come up often - yes, because in the minds of evil men something is stolen, taken by force from another individual.
    In the depraved mind a value is placed upon the theft. It may be hidden and subtle in man's depraved mind but I believe it is true.

Rather than obeying the scripture and entering into the state of matrimony and the benefit of that state (intimacy, children, family ,which in an evil and crass mind, is costly), the intimacy is stolen, taken by force.

Murder - look at the motives of murder and IMO a life again is stolen taken by force,a life which is of great value.

HankD

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gods Word Translation: Jesus cried

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 11:35 Jesus wept - root - dakruo.

Used only here in the NT. Years ago I did a study of this word - ended up in Kittles TDNT.

It has a heavy meaning e.g. When you say " a plane strafed the soldiers" you know that "strafe" takes several words to define.
    - to spray bullets at a target on the ground from an automatic gun while flying an airplane.

dakruo - to weep silently with tears streaming down the face.

Everyone else was weeping - klaio - Crying loudly with emotion.

HankD

4. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A "faceoff" between two well-accepted translations seems to foster divisions where none need exist. I'm strongly KJVP, loving the language and familiar with the archaic terms thru long acquaintance. That said, if offering a Bible to a new convert I would likely choose another translation, probably NASB though if all I had was an NIV, I'd offer it without hesitation. For me, the stately Elizabethan English helps to put my mind in a worshipful mode, but personal preferences for other good translations should never be a problem.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed,

Christmas would not be the same without the KJV account in Luke chapter 2.

HankD

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But instead of a dense undergrowth it might as well be given a clearer pathway. Lord knows it doesn't need more obstacles.

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The real question here is would we gain that much by have better readability at the sake of being accurate to the original texts?

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How could the Lord have used the Kjv, and others such as the Nasb/NKJV that do not "read" as easy as the Niv does?

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As everyone knows, "...It [NIV] is, however, a "dynamic equivalent" translation. That makes it more "readable" than the NASB and other "word for word" translations. This means that in some cases its translations do not precisely correspond to the actual Hebrew/Greek/Aramaic words."

I have never heard anyone deny that the NIV is a dynamic equivalent translation, which by definition means that it is not word for word.

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reading and comprehending are two separate issues!

13. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anybody familiar with the public school system know that many who graduate can barely read at a functional level. Plus there are people reading the Bible who have not graduated. Students will certainly grasp the CSB or NIV better than the KJV or NASB.

Some people are better off with an easier to read Bible. If they get frustrated with a transaltion, due to the difficulty of the read, and quit read.....than what good is it?

I prefer for myself the ESV and NASB. But I placed in my 7 year olds hand a NIV Bible. Even that is hard for him at times....I would not make it more difficult on a child by giving him a KJV.

I would not hand a KJV Bible to one the Spanish speaking immigrants in my county either. They will get a CSB, or if there English is extremely poor or absent, the LBLA.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reread my OP.

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absurd :eek:bservation" there Y. Obviously the KJV was less difficult to read in the 17th century than now.

If they had something like the NIV then they probably wouldn't have understood it.

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Different charts --different conclusions.

In the first referenced one the NAB and REB are put at 7! No way! I really like the English style of the REB. I look at it regularly. But it has to be more of a 9 or more --the same applies to the NAB.

In the second chart the NKJV is put at 7. That's nonsense. It has to be more logically placed at a 9 or more.

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "High school graduated" you say. The wonders of the Detroit public school system.

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No wonder! Give him an NIrV. It is much more suitable.

19. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

Personally, when I was learning to love to read, my dad handed me several books. Some fiction, some non fiction. He gave me a 3x5 card as a book mark, and told me to write down the page number and any words I didn't understand, and he'd explain them to me when he hit the chance.

The system worked out great. I read several biographies of missionaries as a 6 year old, and read the KJV cover to cover for the first time when I was 7 or 8.

There was nothing that I didn't understand as a preteen that my dad couldn't explain to me. I may not have understood the spiritual applications at the time, but I understood the English fine.

Because of this, I have to scoff at anyone who complains that the KJV is hard to understand. If I, as an 8 year old understood it, surely any adult whose native language is English should understand it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm denying it. The NIV is a middle-of-the-road version. It's a mediating translation. There are a fair number of functional equivalents and a fair number of more formal renderings.
    There are no word-for-word translations. Interlinears which are not really translations strive for the impossible but fail.
    In "some cases" really? Most of the time in reality. Most of the time it's not a one-to-one correspondence. But I am not faulting them. It's just not reality.
    I'm repeating myself because you are repeating yourself. Once again, it's a blending. There a number of times that the ESV and NASB have to use functionally equivalent renderings. "Yeah, but not as much as the NIV."

Sure, so it's a matter of degree. There's a gradation. It's not an either or proposition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.