1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faith’s Purpose

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by NetChaplain, Dec 29, 2021.

1. NetChaplain

NetChaplain Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The goal of life is God’s love possessed, and the means by which it is received is “through faith” (Eph 2:8). Why does God desire only through faith for us to reach Him? Because “faith works by love” (Gal 5:6); and in my estimate, the stronger the faith in Him, the greater the manifestation of love to Him!

The “faith” referred to here is that of the Spirit’s “fruit” (Gal 5:22): “this is not of a man's self, nor have all men it (2Th 3:2); it is a gift of God, the operation of his power, and the work of his Spirit, whence he is styled the “Spirit of faith” (2Co 4:13); and which therefore must have a place among his fruits; and which lies and shows itself in believing in Christ for salvation, in embracing the doctrines of the Gospel, and making a profession of them, which is called “the profession of faith” (Heb 10:23); all which, when right, comes from the Spirit of God” (J Gill).

Those who choose to be in His love (e.g. Deu 30:19) are those who will be “kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation” (1Pe 1:5). Concerning mankind, faith is what establishes a knowing-hope of God’s love, and in that order (1Co 13:13). God’s saving love is given for mankind but possessed only by those who choose to receive it through faith. Thus is the cycle of faith, which knows (hopes) His love, and it’s His love which establishes (“works by”) faith:

“Faith has a concern in justification and salvation, not by way of causal influence, but as it is that grace which receives the righteousness of Christ, through which we are saved, and “kept by the power of God unto salvation” (Eph 2:8; 1Pe 1:5); yet not any sort of faith, but that which is operative, is attended with good works (faith always results in good works—NC); and which works itself by love to God, to Christ, to his people, ways, worship, truths, and ordinances. The Syriac version renders it, zrmgtmd "which is perfected by love" (1Jo 2:5); that is, is showed to be right, true, and genuine thereby” (J Gill).

The two means by which the Father used to reach mankind were His Son and His people Israel. Which answers to the Lord Jesus’ declaration, “I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel” (Mat 15:24). The rest among the world (Gentiles) are reached by His Apostles and disciples. It is my personal belief that this limitation of Christ’s appearance to mankind was to allow for the increased exercising of faith.
    He could have appeared to the rest of the world but chose rather to allow for greater faith (this life being the only time using it). The lessor the proof, the greater the faith and the love! I think a good example is what Jesus revealed to Thomas, that “because thou hast seen Me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed (Jn 20:29—concerning His resurrection and His Life).

Faith is what establishes union with God, and it is His Spirit who operates it in us—it being His “fruit” (work)!

2. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I were a full blown Arminian and synergist, I would likely find nothing wrong with the OP.

I am scratching my head at the first thesis sentence, (The goal of life is God's love possessed) as it seems like a big bowl of jargon with no substance. I read through the whole comment and still didn't know how tge first phrase fit with the rest of the thesis.
    As I read, it became clear that I was reading a synergist view of faith as it requires cooperation in order to be effective.

"God’s saving love is given for mankind but possessed only by those who choose to receive it through faith.
    Here is Arminian theology 101 in action. Note that it is human choice that is the generator of faith and the cause agent that allows God to give humans "saving love." The emphasis for one's salvation ultimately falls on human will with God simply waiting and perhaps prodding, but ultimately being held in check by man's willingness or unwillingness.

While I am sure the OP is well meaning and meant to offer encouragement, the OP actually discourages me as the OP ultimately misses the point of faiths purpose.

Hebrews 11:1
    Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see.

Hebrews 12:1-2
    Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne.

Galatians 5:22-23
    But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!

Note that God chooses to whom He will display His saving love, not based upon whether a human chooses to display faith, but instead solely upon God's own will, known only to the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. When God established the New Covenant, God also chose to reveal the names found in that Covenant by giving each person the gift of faith to believe they are the adopted children of God.

Since I am not an Arminian nor a synergist, I find the OPs comments to have little merit regarding the purpose of faith.

3. NetChaplain

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I appreciate your reply and comments, but our understanding here clearly varies. Seeing it's God's desire that all be saved, what is keeping unbelievers from believing? It isn't Him. I never have been able to understand why it should supposedly be accepted that for whatever His own reason He doesn't draw everyone, esp. considering God is not a respecter of persons (Acts 10:34; Mat 22:16; Luk 20:21; Rom 2:11; Gal 2:6; Eph 6:9; Col 3:25; 1Pe 1:17), and that His desire is that all be saved (1Ti 2:4; 2Pe 3:9).

I've found that there is far more Scripture evidence supporting the concept of man's choice than for an unknown reason why God would prevent the salvation of any. God has, from eternity past known all the souls who will truly desire, and them only, He "draws" to the Son. That in which man cannot participate is the power to draw and save, but man's choice for Him to save him is an ongoing issue since the time of God knowing he would choose to partake of the "Tree of Knowledge," and what He would do about it (Jesus).

Concerning God "from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor" (Rom 9:21), this to me means He already knows what they are going to choose before bringing them into this life, and that He knows He is "making" a vessel either "to show His wrath and to make His power known," which are "vessels of wrath prepared for destruction" (Rom 9:22); or those whom He knows He is making "vessels of mercy," to "make known the riches of His glory," all of which "He had prepared beforehand" (Rom 9:23).

#3 NetChaplain, Dec 29, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
  4. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our difference is in the bolded statement. You understand this to be universal of all humanity, while I understand this to be universal of all persons who are written into the New Covenant as chosen inheritors of the Kingdom.
    I only need point to the many unreached, unpreached, areas of the world to show you that God chooses not to have all be saved. Since God is more than capable of saving and does not save all people, it is obvious to anyone that your universal interpretation cannot be accurate. However, it is more than obvious in the Bible that all who God gives to Jesus will never be plucked from His hand. There is no doubt that all God desires to be saved, will be saved. In fact, their names have been written down from before the foundation of the world.

Let's go further and state that God does not prevent anyone from believing. No. Humans, by their very nature, prevent themselves from believing by being in open rebellion against God. The Bible is clear that this open rebellion is so fierce that if God does not choose to break their rebellion, they will never willfully submit under God's rule. Your statement shows me that you do not really think human rebellion is all that bad. You attribute to humans an innate goodness and potential to goodness that the Bible does not attribute to any man. Indeed, the Bible says that all our righteousness is as filthy rags. Romans 3 very openly tells us that no human will ever seek God (as does Romans 1). Therefore, your premise is false, which makes your conclusion false.

I doubt we can agree. At best we clarify our differences and rest in the truth that God will accomplish His perfect plan.

5. NetChaplain

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen, and thanks!