1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faith a gift

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by psalms109:31, Nov 13, 2011.

?
  1. Is Faith a gift by grace that only chosen person has by which they have done nothing to receive.

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  2. Faith a gift for all, only those accept it are saved by grace as in their debt they owe is paid for.

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. Other explain

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No. The baptism in the Spirit is how the "house of God" is publicly accredited and signifies the indwelling of it as His "house" (1 Cor. 3:16).

Every former "house of God" was publicly accredited by being immersed in the shikinah glory (Ex. 40; 2 Kngs 7:1-3). The promise of the baptism in the Spirit "not many days hence" (Acts 1:5) was this same pubic accreditation and infilling of the new house of God composed of living stones built up a "spiritual house" and every New Testament congregational body is indwelt by the Spirit of God as "the house of God" (1 Cor. 3:16; 1 Tim. 3:15) and that is why we call the congregation "the house of God" or His "building" (1 Cor. 3:9).

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Just a little correction. There is no such thing as " the baptism in the Spirit."
    We are Baptized "with" the Spirit, not in Him and the Lord is the one doing the Baptizing. I think it is an important distinction.

3. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Would you please look at the Greek text and you will see the Greek preposition is "en" and means "in." John baptized "en" (in) not "with" the river Jordan. Baptism is being "buried" "en" (in) water. Baptism is immersion not sprinkling or pouring "with" water.

4. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

A Holy Spirit filled preacher does speak in power, but it brings before man not just life but death to, to believe in Jesus and be saved or not and continue to condemnation. God has not changed.

Deuteronomy 30:19
    This day I call the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live 20 and that you may love the LORD your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. For the LORD is your life, and he will give you many years in the land he swore to give to your fathers, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

Luke 13:34
    “Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were not willing.

Matthew 5:
    Salt and Light
    13 “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.

14 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

2 Corinthians 5:
    16 So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view. Though we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer. 17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come:[Or Christ, that person is a new creation.] The old has gone, the new is here! 18 All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: 19 that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting people’s sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation. 20 We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God. 21 God made him who had no sin to be sin[Or be a sin offering] for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

#124 psalms109:31, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2011
  5. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

You are speaking about the preacher being filled with the Spirit but I am speaking about the Spirit's work on the hearers of the gospel.

You are speaking about the responsibility of the hearer but I am speaking about the ability provided by the power of the Holy Spirit upon the hearer.

When a spirit filled preacher preaches not all who hear get saved right? Even under a Spirit filled preacher the gospel does not come to all "in power and in the Spirit and in much assurances" right?

In 1 Thessalonians 1:4 Paul tells them they can know they are one of God's elect. In 1 Thessalonians 1:5 Paul tells them how they can know that - when the gospel comes "NOT in word only" but comes "in power, and in the Spirit and in much assurance."

When God empowers the gospel (not merely the preacher) it becomes creative word of God that effectually calls light out of darkness as in Genesis 1:2 (2 Cor. 4:6).

Hence, the elect (2 Thes. 2:13) are called effectually by the gospel (2 Thes. 2:14).

6. psalms109:31

I have been telling it places not only life before man but death the desire of God is for them to believe, but they are not willing. God will give them over to their own desire, from the beginning He placed life and death before us and continues through Jesus so believe trust in Him and be saved. The power of His words places life and death before us. If it doesn't then all would believe that hear the Gospel.

John 5:25
    Very truly I tell you, a time is coming and has now come when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live.

It is God choice that believers in His Son be saved not mans.

#126 psalms109:31, Nov 18, 2011
  7. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

It is a little difficult to undestand what your point is. Could you make the point you are trying to make a little clearer for me?

8. psalms109:31

What you don't understand is it is God choice to save believers in His Son and not believers are saved from believing in His Son.

You want to make that man choose God, but it isn't God choose them for trusting in His Son. So you can't say that they saved themselves. Through people like Paul. God will have amount saved that will like the sands of the seashore, those who are chosen because they believed God and is credited righteousness.

Those who do not work, but trust in the Lord Jesus and rest in Him.

See either i have to decide I am an elect or to trust in Jesus. I trust in Jesus and He makes me His elect instead of me deciding I am a elect.

#128 psalms109:31, Nov 18, 2011
  9. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know why he doesn't understand... your grammar, punctuation, and syntax is quite poor. I had a hard time understanding you and I think we are on the same page theologically (I think).

10. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I did not say anything about the river Jordan. I looked at 19 different translations and none of them used the word “in” although I assume you have found at least one that does use the word. While Greek can hold several different meanings in the English and one is “in” in this case, the context and structure holds the answer to how it is rendered. The focus is on "who" is doing the Baptizing and with “what” not simply where or the act of baptizing. John is not saying He is Baptizing them "in" water and another is coming who will Baptize you in the Holy Ghost. How does a person get Baptized in the Holy Ghost in comparrission to being baptized in water? We don’t step down into Him like we would a pool of water to be baptized in Him.
    That would make no sense. The Baptism is “with” not in. The persons John are Baptizing are being washed “with” water as a symbol of their being cleaned of sin because of repentance. It is a baptism of repentance.
    The passages say when the Lord comes He will baptize you "with” the Holy Ghost (the spirit). In the case of John he is the baptizer and he is doing it with water. In the case of the Lord, He is the Baptizer and He is doing it "with" the Spirit. Jesus is not Baptizing in the Spirit. That makes no sense. He is Baptizing "with" the Spirit.
    In the case of John it was a symbol of what was to come, and in the case of Jesus it is the reality of what is. We are washed with, not washed in the Spirit. There is just no such thing as being Baptized "in" the Spirit.

#130 freeatlast, Nov 18, 2011
  11. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

2 Thes. 2:13 ¶ But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

This text does NOT say "When you believed God chose you" OR "God hath from the beginning chosen you BECAUSE you believed.

Acts 13:48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.

This text does NOT say "as many as beleived were ordained to eternal life."

12. psalms109:31

I praise God for my weakness and know that God can use the little I have. If it is just to tell those do not let any barrier to come between you and spreading the hope you have in Jesus Christ. To do that even if they want to use your weakness against you.

Microsoft word had no problem with what I wrote above:thumbs:

13. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Baptism by definition is immersion "IN" something whether water or sufferings or the Holy Spirit. Only immersion is a BURIAL "in" the ground. The only difference between baptism "in" water and baptism "in" the Holy Spirit is (1) the administrator; (2) the subject; (3) the design.

In water the the administrator is a man but in Spirit the administrator is Christ.

In water the subject is a believer but in Spirit the subject is the congregation

In water the design is public identification with Christ but in Spirit the design is public accreditation as the house of God.

14. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

So are you saying that we are put (submerged) into the Spirit instead of Him put into us?

15. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I am saying that the baptism in the Spirit was an historical act that every text which speaks of it before Pentecost points forward to Pentecost (Acts 1:5) and every text after Pentecost points back to Pentecost as a completed action (Acts 11:15-16).

I am saying that Christ is the administrator, He immersed the congregation at Jerusalem when it assembled in the upper room in Acts 2:1 so that the whole room in which they assembled was filled with the Spirit and thus they were immersed in Spirit.

I am saying the baptism in the Spirit is NOT a individual experience or application but is the well known and well documented Old Testament act of accreditation that occurred ONCE after each new house of God was completed as clearly seen in the case with the first house of God in Exodus 40:35 and with the second house of God in 2 Kings 7:1-3 and then in Acts 2:1-2 with the New Testament house of God (1Tim. 3:15).

It is an institutional immersion not an indivdual immersion

It is a historical non-repeatable immersion

It has nothing to do with salvation of the immersed.

It is the public accreditation and identification of God's House (see I Cor. 3:16 and plural "ye" not "we" and singular "temple" geographical and located).

16. psalms109:31

I didn't believe, but I trusted in Him listen and learned and He not only worked in my life to believe, but He also taught me what to believe.

I have seen many elected and not saved because of unbelief.

I truely believe that the elect are those who trust in Christ and will not be put to shame. It is the work of Jesus that we believe.

Those who trust in Christ are the one's ordained to salvation.

I didn't know how or what to believe until I trusted in Jesus and His finished work and listened and learned from Him.

He said that He will keep the meek and humble who will trust in the Lord.

He said He has hidden the truth from the wise and learned and revealed it to Children. Those who trust in the Lord and not their own understanding, those who are not wise in their own eyes.

I praise God for sending me the message to trust in Christ and Christ alone for my salvation.

God ordained, anointed Lucifer to be His guardian and we know where he ended up.

#136 psalms109:31, Nov 18, 2011
  17. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I gave you scripture that contradicts what you "think" so which has more authority? What you "think" or what Scripture actually says?

18. psalms109:31

Scripture is not a few verses, you can't decide to accept a few scripture and make those disregaurd all the other scripture. We are to live on every word those comes from the mouth of God, do you want me to post the all the scripture that support what I am saying.

Luke 10:21
    At that time Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit, said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this is what you were pleased to do.

Proverbs 3

5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
    6 in all your ways submit to him,
    and he will make your paths straight.[Or will direct your paths
    ]

Romans 11:
    17 If some of the branches have been broken off, and you, though a wild olive shoot, have been grafted in among the others and now share in the nourishing sap from the olive root, 18 do not consider yourself to be superior to those other branches. If you do, consider this: You do not support the root, but the root supports you. 19 You will say then, “Branches were broken off so that I could be grafted in.” 20 Granted. But they were broken off because of unbelief, and you stand by faith. Do not be arrogant, but tremble. 21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, he will not spare you either.

22 Consider therefore the kindness and sternness of God: sternness to those who fell, but kindness to you, provided that you continue in his kindness. Otherwise, you also will be cut off.

7 Do not be wise in your own eyes;
    fear the LORD and shun evil.

Hebrews 3:19
    So we see that they were not able to enter, because of their unbelief.

Matthew 10:33
    But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

Luke 12:9
    But whoever disowns me before others will be disowned before the angels of God.

Revelation 3:5
    The one who is victorious will, like them, be dressed in white. I will never blot out the name of that person from the book of life, but will acknowledge that name before my Father and his angels.

Psalm 73:28
    But it is good for me to draw near to God; I have put my trust in the Lord GOD, That I may declare all Your works.

1 Peter 2:6
    For in Scripture it says: “See, I lay a stone in Zion, a chosen and precious cornerstone, and the one who trusts in him will never be put to shame.”

I will tell you again trusting in Jesus is the only hope that I have, not in election men have been cut out of not for denying but completely disowning their only hope

Romans 4
    4 Now to the one who works, wages are not credited as a gift but as an obligation. 5 However, to the one who does not work but trusts God who justifies the ungodly, their faith is credited as righteousness. 6 David says the same thing when he speaks of the blessedness of the one to whom God credits righteousness apart from works:

7 “Blessed are those
    whose transgressions are forgiven,
    whose sins are covered.
    8 Blessed is the one
    whose sin the Lord will never count against them.”[

I will tell you again trusting in Jesus is the only hope that I have, not in election men have been cut out of not for denying but completely disowning their only hope Jesus. Jesus helped in my unbelief, because I was taught to trust in Him not myself.

Trusting in Jesus and His finished work no man has ever been cut out of

19. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Not one of these texts contradicted the texts that I gave you. Indeed they added support. Note the very first one you gave. How did truth come? It was "revealed" by God. This revelation is the creative command of God that brings LIGHT into DARKNESS - 2 Cor. 4:6

20. psalms109:31

New International Version (NIV)

15 so that you may become blameless and pure, “children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.” Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky 16 as you hold firmly to the word of life. And then I will be able to boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor in vain. 17 But even if I am being poured out like a drink offering on the sacrifice and service coming from your faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you.

1 John 1:1
    [ The Incarnation of the Word of Life ] That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked at and our hands have touched—this we proclaim concerning the Word of life.

3 We proclaim to you what we have seen and heard, so that you also may have fellowship with us. And our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ.

1 Peter 1:23
    For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God.

It shows me election is no hope if you don't trust in Jesus Christ.

The elect have been cut out for unbelief and not able to enter, but those who trust in Him will never be disowned and if you have come to the knowledge of the truth you can not leave Him with a sound mind. Meaning some sort of brain damage like old timers.

1 John 2:
    19 They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us.
    20 But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and all of you know the truth.[e] 21 I do not write to you because you do not know the truth, but because you do know it and because no lie comes from the truth. 22 Who is the liar? It is whoever denies that Jesus is the Christ. Such a person is the antichrist—denying the Father and the Son. 23 No one who denies the Son has the Father; whoever acknowledges the Son has the Father also.

24 As for you, see that what you have heard from the beginning remains in you. If it does, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father. 25 And this is what he promised us—eternal life.

#140 psalms109:31, Nov 18, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.