1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Faith is a Good Work we do after being created in Christ !

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by savedbymercy, Jun 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

What are the Works of Abraham here ?

Jn 8:39

39 They answered and said unto him, Abraham is our father. Jesus saith unto them, If ye were Abraham's children, ye would do the works of Abraham.

What works would they do [predestinated to do] if they were the true children of Abraham, that is his children of promise ?

Rom 4:12

12 And the father of circumcision to them who are not of the circumcision only, but who also walk in the steps of that faith of our father Abraham, which he had being yet uncircumcised.

Gal 3:7

7 Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.

The works of Abraham therefore would be a consistent walk of and in Faith, which means Faith is a Work, a Deed, a Walk !

Walking is an act, a work ! If they were truly his children they would be caused to follow his example in living a consistent life of Faith !

It is stated by one commentator [John Gill] this:

For Faith is that which Abraham is famous for Rom 4:16

16 Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all,

He is the Father of all them that believe Rom 4:11

And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had yet being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all them that believe, though they be not circumcised; that righteousness might be imputed unto them also:

Also Note, Abraham was their Father before they believed, God made him their Father way back in Gen 17:5

5 Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee.

So they believe in time because they were children promised to Abraham as was Isaac !

This also concludes with the fact, if any believe themselves to be Justified before God because of their act of believing or faith, then they are claiming justification before God because of their works, which contradicts being Justified in the same manner as was Abraham, who was not Justified by works, and had no reason to boast Rom 4:1-3

What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found?

2 For if Abraham were justified by works[his faith or act of believing], he hath whereof to glory; but not before God.

3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.

2. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

If God were your Father, Ye would Love Me !

Jn 8:42

42 Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me.

Thats a powerful statement and very enlightening, for Paul wrote of this same Jesus this 1 Cor 16:22

If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema Maranatha.

Have we ever thought about that statement in Jn 8:42, this tells us that if Christ died for us, we will love Him, because those whom God So Loved Jn 3:16, He gave Him for Us, and if He did that, God is Our Father, and so Jesus said plainly:

42 Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me.

Is Jesus a Liar ? Therefore this statement ensures us Regeneration or New Birth so that by it we receive a Nature that is capable of and does Love Christ, and so this is provided for all whom God Loved, and Christ died. By nature man does not have the ability to Love God, so a nature must be given that is made meet to Love Him, in addition, those God So Loved Jn 3:16, He chastenes, which indicates they are His Sons and Daughters Heb 12:6-8

6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.

7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?

8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.

So the World of Jn 3:16 are those whom He Loves and chastens, which are His Sons and He is their Father, and so Jesus words must come to past, they must be faithful and true which are these Jn 8:42

Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me.

This is a fact !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.