1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faith "of" Christ, or "in" Christ?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by robycop3, Jan 25, 2018.

1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 3:22, KJV - Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

Same verse, NASV:
    even the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all those who believe; for there is no distinction;

Galatians 2:16, KJV - Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Same verse, NKJV:
    knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified.

Galatians 2:20, KJV - I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Same verse, MEV:
    I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

I believe, since Jesus is God, sees all & knows all, He does not have faith, which is belief in things not seen by substance & evidence, as we believe the unseen wind exists, nut that He has SURE AND FULL KNOWLEDGE of all things. He is the OBJECT of faith, not faith itself. There's nothing for the all-powerful Jesus to have faith IN. After all, what dies He not know or see?

2. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Faith can also be rendered as belief or practice. For instance, the term "the Christian faith" refers to the beliefs and practices of Christianity, not individual faith.

3. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a very old chestnut.
    I seem to recall that I was taught that the Greek genitive ('of') has about eleven different meanings; JoJ can probably tell you what they all are; I've forgotten most of them. :Redface

But when we talk about the 'fear of God,' it is not God who fears, it is our fear in respect of God. It's the same with the 'love of money.' So when we talk about the 'faith of Christ' we are not talking about Christ's faith, but our faith in respect of Christ.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just a couple of quick examples of the Greek genitive that have come to mind
    'But of him are ye in Christ Jesus' (1 Cor. 1:30, KJV). The Genitive here is causative: 'Because of him......'
    '"I am a man which am a Jew of Tarsus' (Acts 21:39). This clearly means 'From Tarsus.
    Those who are more familiar with the KJV than I am will think of other examples.

On the other hand, 'The love of Christ constrains us' (2 Cor. 5:14). This could mean either Christ's love for us or our love towards Him, and probably means both. :)

5. auxbox

auxbox New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a sense in which the righteous live / a man is justified by faith OF Christ (vs. in Christ) - namely it was his faith(fulness) that rendered him perfect in life and therefore suitable to be our substitute and forerunner into glory. No amount of faith on our part would ever have sufficed to redeem us had he not faithfully lived out the precepts of God’s holy law and then offered himself up for lawless ones such as you or I.

So the faith(fulness) OF Christ is the first ground of our justification and the very righteousness of God for us. Our faith IN Christ is merely a recognition that his faithfulness is the ground of all our confidence and hope before God.

Hope that is helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of my favorite scriptures in the Bible... We have Faith In Christ because of the Faith Of Christ... Brother Glen:)

Hebrews 12:1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.