1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faith of our Fathers

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by asterisktom, Mar 25, 2020.

1. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "The founders of our nation were nearly all Infidels, and that of the presidents who had thus far been elected [Washington; Adams; Jefferson; Madison; Monroe; Adams; Jackson] not a one had professed a belief in Christianity...." - Rev. Doctor Bird Wilson, 1831.

This counters the contrary claim that early American presidents were such great Christians.

What may be in doubt would be George Washington, but a more careful study of his life and writings - not that of Parson Weems - I think would still most likely not give evidence that he was a Christian. Another possible question would be Adams who, admittedly a Unitarian, for a while believed in the Trinity.

I am not saying that their unbelief was a good thing, just that we should always stick with the truth, however undesirable. We do not need to continue lying about our collective past to bolster our present Christianity. What they believed or disbelieved does not take away from their other achievements.

#1 asterisktom, Mar 25, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Deism and enlightenment thinking went hand in hand, unfortunately. And add Unitarianism to the mix.

I do think it's tricky, as we have to look at the entire written record of these men, and sometimes we read to much into what may be passing dalliances with unorthodox thought, while they settled in to orthodoxy in their later years.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The young George Washington was an Anglican, but later became an Episcopalian. He bought Martha a Bible in 1789.
    While he was a member of the Freemasons, their beliefs & practices have changed greatly since then.

In all likelihood, given the amount of praise he gave to God after the revolution, he was likely a Christian.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anglicans are Episcopalians.

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would probably been much more biblical and conservative back then!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to the link below, it's fake news of a sort for sure. The named source is incorrect, as you suspected.

Read Mr. Kabala's comment very carefully. We have corrected an error that most historians list in the primary sources. It was not Bird Wilson but James Renwick Willson and you may read his sermon here.

http://www.covenanter.org/JRWillson/princemessiah.htm
    The Jon Rowe Archives

8. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not fake news. The main issue here is the faith of the founders, not which Wilson it was who gave that sermon.

9. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once again, this is not fake news. Merely deflection from the main point.

10. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just curious, have you read any biographies of George Washington and his extensive writings? I have. I made it my priority since I was teaching American History at the time. Before I had done the research I pretty much believed as you do now.

And by research I mean from a broad spectrum of sources, not just from the modern conservatives.

#10 asterisktom, Mar 29, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  11. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have spent a fair amount of time in Washington's letters and ledgers, since a forebear was a neighbor and elected to the House of Burgesses together with Washington from Fairfax County.

• Like Like x 1
  12. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    His letters especially make for interesting reading. Often the real person comes through in more private communication. He had an interesting and remarkable life. Exemplary in many ways, so people like Parson Weems had no right to make up things out of whole cloth.

13. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe God intended to make the USA great, whether our Presidents were Christians or not. After all, He made several ancient pagan nations great. often using them to punish Israel & judah.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. RighteousnessTemperance&

Faith:
    Baptist
    The source can make a considerable difference for those who go by authority, not to mention the personal proximity being claimed in the telling, which was considerably closer than reality in this case.

The main issue is the real aim of the debate, which for secularists and atheists is not to ID deists, but to completely sever the nation's ties to biblical morality and teaching. I won't quibble over the standing of a Founder before God, it wouldn't be my place to judge. But I doubt any side with the immorality of those raising the issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My wife and I both agree that this is very unclear. I assume from the last sentence that I am immoral for raising the issue. Our current ties to biblical teaching is my concern, hence the importance of this closer look at the pseudo-hagiographical leaven in our early American histories. Making saints where there are none or few only lowers Christianity, does not elevate America.

18. RighteousnessTemperance&

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apologies. No, I'm not accusing you of immorality, much less peddling or pushing it, nor of atheism or secularism, nor even of raising the issue. The issue was raised quite some time ago.

I dropped the Christianity bit because I consider that a distraction from the real issue, namely the standard of morality in society. What was the approach of the Founding Fathers? We must look to the laws they wrote, the decisions they handed down, the standards they went by, the arguments they made. What were their practices? What were their models? What were their assumptions, their axioms?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for clarifying. Yes, I agree.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  20. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unfortunately, one principle that many of our "founding fathers" followed, and many current "leaders' still do is, "Do as I SAY, not as I DO !"