1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

False Facts: Why We Love Bad Stats

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

One of the dangers of being a reporter who goes to church is that you know when the preacher is wrong.

Not wrong in theology. Wrong in facts.

Like this one, which came halfway through a recent sermon on marriage. Things are scary out there, the preacher told us. And there’s no difference between people sitting in these pews and everyone else when it comes to divorce.

It made a great sermon illustration.

Only it’s not true, says Bradley Wright, a sociologist at the University of Connecticut and author of “Christians Are Hate-Filled Hypocrites … and Other Lies You’ve Been Told.”

Wright looked at marriage statistics from the General Social Survey (GSS), a national random survey of Americans, taken since the 1970s. Half of the “Nones”—people who claim no religious identity—were divorced. Only 42 percent of self-identified Christians—and members of other faiths—were divorced.

Catholics (35 percent) were least likely to divorce, followed by Mainline Protestants (41 percent) and evangelicals (46 percent).

http://factsandtrends.net/2014/01/07/false-facts-why-we-love-bad-stats/#.Us0zzIXheSr

2. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Setting aside the other thread that only perpetuates the lies about Christians this thread debunks,

How many times have you been told that the divorce rate among Christians is the same as it is among the lost?

3. thisnumbersdisconnected

Countless, too many to mention. Always knew it was false, always pointed that out, always got an argument.

>>sigh<<

4. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/fb_induced_abortion.html

5. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

37.6 % of all statistics are made up.

6. thisnumbersdisconnected

Hmm ... Our OP deals with the "bad stat" of failed Christian marriages, and another member comes along and, out of the blue, posts a nonsense stat on "who has abortions."

Can we all say it together?

[​IMG]

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He loves to bash the church and blame everything on it. Between him and another who loves to bash pastors you would have to wonder how the church could ever survive. You see the op doesn't place the church in a bad light so he hates it. I have never seen such a weird infatuation with tearing the church down. There is a serious mental issue there.

#7 Revmitchell, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2014
  8. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

PRECISELY. That's why the folks who did the stats in the OP can go through and decide the criteria for how they are gonna measure who is/is not Christian enough to be included in their stats.

You can skew stats any old kinda way.

9. thisnumbersdisconnected

ANd your post on who gets abortions proves that, doesn't it?

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ignore his posts in this thread so as not to derail it.

11. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Sure does.

12. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

3 For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. 4 They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths. 2 Tim. 4:3-4

13. thisnumbersdisconnected

This goes against your previous advise, Rev, but gotta say ...

Now he thinks his word is "doctrine."

[​IMG]

OK, no more. Now I'm done. Let the thread continue unabated.

14. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back on topic:

[a] I teach math. I teach probability and statistics as part of my curriculum and have for a long time.

When I was in grad. school 25 years ago at Texas A&M (math ed.), I took a statistics class. We learned from very thorough and competent professor that "researchers" can take those numbers and make them say anything that they want to say. Part of our course was to take random dissertations from the library and to critique them - specifically looking for flaws in validity and reliability. We were shocked at the poor scholarship - or should I say the purposeful manipulation of numbers.

[c] Since then, I don't trust research must. I don't care who its from Christians, atheists, liberals, conservatives .... I don't care. If they give any background on what they did - who they tested, how they tested, etc.....I find myself checking it out and finding much bias. I'm a cynical person anyway. :rolleyes:

15. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I had a very similar experience with statistics Scarlett. That's why I always look at who is asking the questions and the possible motive behind asking the questions the way that they do.

16. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think more people need to know this. People are gullible and too many leaders (of any persuasion) like to use stats to fuel agendas.