1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured False teacher agrees to meet with me

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You probably shouldn't start off by addressing him as a false teacher...

You need to be a student. Ask lots of questions. You will learn lots of things you didn't know. In fact, you may end up changing your mind about a lot of Roman Catholic teachings.

I know you want to "witness," but the best witness you can give the man is to be a caring, interested inquirer. By asking thoughtful and insightful questions, both of you get the chance to think about what is true. And asking honest questions allows the other person to open up to you.

I have used this method many times with atheists, simple unchurched, Mormons, Christians of other denominations, persons from other religious traditions (Buddhists, Unitarians, occultists, etc.) to great effect.

You are there to be Jesus to them. Have you ever noticed the way Jesus talked with people? Only once did He bring up the Law in a way that could be remotely compared to "The Way of the Master"-style evangelism.

Do more listening than talking in your first encounter. Take what he says very seriously. You may well find that he doesn't actually believe what you think he believes.

#21 Baptist Believer, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  2. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Given who asked the question this is bad advice. Evan has shown on multiple occasions that he is not versed enough in the Bible to notice errors in others presentation of it. Just in the last couple days he failed to notice a verse being taken out of context by one of his pet authors. (In that authors defense I have not read the book reference so it may not have been taken out of context, but the post Evan made did pull the verse out of context and there has been no reply to that being pointed out.)

Note I'm not questioning his salvation, just his willingness to walk into a lair unprepared.
    Bank tellers study real money to be able to catch counterfeit. Evan does not study the real deal, he studies books about the real deal which is the only way to see error when presented.

3. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent advice my friend, thank you. Not sure when we are going to meet, but you are right I cant start off on the attack. I need to go in as a student.

4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I sent him a letter of interest in his views. I did not send any tracts neither. I think from this day forward I should write up the apostates in this manor, and then after sometime mail tracts after he has had a chance to explain himself or herself.

5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh be quiet!! I defend my views just fine, they are just not what you want to hear. Your favorite book "What did Jesus do?" gives some wonderful explanations. If you claim to own the book I do not know how you missed the defenses.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's manner.

And "write up" sounds like you are issuing them a citation. Simply say write.

7. beameup

beameup Member

I might just interject a point here on "mental reservation".
    I'm in an 85% Catholic country in Asia. A major teaching
    of the Catholic church is the concept of "mental reservation".
    The teaching is that it is OK to lie to someone IF you feel that
    to "tell the truth" would somehow be harmful to the recipient.
    Another aspect of this teaching is that it is best to tell people
    what you think they want to hear... that is, it is not a sin to lie.

Much like the Muslim teaching that it is OK to outright lie to an "unbeliever",
    the Priests are taught to outright lie to an "unbeliever" (anyone not a Catholic).
    Actually, the Catholic leadership constantly lie to the general public, deceiving
    you into believing that they are "pro-Muslim" and generally "can't we all just get-along",
    I'm OK-you're OK types.

8. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Evan- You do not defend your views well. Your first inclination is to rely on the words of men (books) rather than Our Lord's Word. Scripture is sharper than the double-edged sword. You would rather defend your beliefs with little more than the pointy stick of authors' opinions.

If you cannot adequately defend your faith in front of those who know Him, how can you expect to do the same in front of those who do not know Him?

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

No, you refused to engage Scripture to back up your claims. If you would like, why not start a thread so you can address unanswered questions from your threads here. Maybe that would add to your ministry. As RCC does not view Scripture as authority, this might be a common starting point of discussion.

I own the book What Did Jesus Do as it was a free download. I do not suggest that in defense of your position you merely tell the priest to read a bunch of books.

#29 JonC, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2015
  10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your "answer" to Jon shows you have low tolerance. I am concerned that if this RCC priest says something that" pulls your chain"
    you are libable to say or do something that you would later - either regret or try to blame the RC.
    Baptist Beleiver gave some excellent advice.
    Remember that God gave us two ears and only one mouth for a reason.

Finally, I'm wondering if the RC priest has agreed to meet with you only to put another notch in his belt.

11. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ya know, I worked in the IT field in the military. I once tried to tell someone to read the user manual, rather than fix the problem for them. I was written off as not knowing my job.

Not sure if the analogy fits or not. Whadday'all* think?

*Yeah, don't try to look that up in a dictionary or on google; just say it with a slow, Southern drawl, and let it go....

12. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fits, though part of the problem seems to be the thought that there is more than one User Manual.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Slow Southern Drawl?" LOL....where I come from they would think your ret....ahhhh, slow. It would help it you talked with your hands & threw some swear words in.... emphasize the .....ahhhh, just watch the Sopranos. :laugh:

14. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Evan... I want to be snarky and condescending to you like all the rest.

But that won't help.

I don't think this meeting is a good idea for some reasons. But here is my advice:

Give the gospel! You know basically what the RCCs will disagree with. Focus on that. Don't argue. Just be passionate about what Scripture says. Make sure you fall to that as you rule of faith. Don't be rude. But "contend for the faith". Let your theology be your tool. You believe in the DoG. Plant the seeds and let God change his heart, if he so wills. It is not your job to change his mind. That is the Spirit's job. You plant and water and let God remove the veil from his blind eyes and give him life.