1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Falwell Funeral

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jshurley04, May 22, 2007.

1. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And don't forget...all of our righteousness is like filthy rags in God's sight.

NOTHING I do can make me good enough to come before a Holy God.

And yes, I am saved by grace, not by works, lest any man should boast!

Debbie Mc

2. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbs: Oh, and my retired Pastor's Mother, who is almost 90, was crying on the phone one day....I said "Mrs Chappell, what is wrong?? She said "I have sinned against you" and I said "what?!?!" and she said "Yes, I didn't bring you dinner while you were down from your mastectomy! To not do good is sin!!"

And she is about the most saintly person I know.

Don't worry, I tried to calm her down, but she was beside herself for sinning aginst me.
    does our super human always do good? :tonofbricks:

Debbie Mc

3. His Blood Spoke My Name

Not everybody sins everyday.

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

And that statement is the very source of your problem.

5. Diggin in da Word

Diggin in da Word New Member

Even the most godly Christian does sin occasionally -- in thought if not in deed, in omission if not in commission. The God-given antidote is I John 1:9: "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

But there is a danger if we use such verses as an excuse for sinning or for taking sin too lightly. If the question is asked: "Can a Christian not sin?" then the answer is, yes! God indeed, in Christ, has made every provision necessary for a believer never to commit sin, and we are without any legitimate excuse whenever we do.
    This must be so for at least two reasons. In the first place, Jesus Christ in His humanity is our example, and He "was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin" (Hebrews 4:15). He accomplished this, not because of His deity, but solely in His humanity.
    Secondly, God has commanded us not to sin, and He would never command us to do the impossible. For every temptation, there is a way of escape (I Corinthians 10:13), and we have no excuse if we fail to take it. Our only recourse is to repent and confess the sin.
    Our text commands us to sin not! But then, it also reminds us that Christ is our great advocate before the Father. He is righteous and has already taken our sins away as our propitiatory sacrifice, so "the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanseth us from all sin" (I John 1:7).

Henry M Morris

saturnneptune, just because you or some others may sin every day, does not mean all people sin every day.

As Henry Morris pointed out in his devotional above, Christians occasionally sin... not always sin.

Get real. If we walk in the Spirit, we won't fulfill the lusts of the flesh. We will not give in to sin if we are given over to the things of God.

6. His Blood Spoke My Name

I have no problem.

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I really do not care what Henry Morris thinks, or you or anyone else, except the Lord. If we say we have no sin, we are liars, and do not have the truth in us. So tell me, exactly which days is it that you do not sin, either in thought, action, motive, deed, or sins you are not even aware of, as compared to the days you do sin? And tell me, do you turn off and on the grace of God through Jesus Christ based on a calendar of days you do and do not sin? That is quite a trick.

So, I would really be interested in someone telling us about a 24 hour period when they know without a doubt they have not sinned and do not need the grace of God.

Oh, and while you are at it, it would be interesting to hear your prayers on the days you do not sin. If you said the Lord's prayer, would you leave out forgive us our debts on the days of perfection? And how on earth would you ask for forgivenss if you pray without ceasing on the days of perfection?

#47 saturneptune, May 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2007
  8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Whatever you say

9. Diggin in da Word

I have spent many days in prayer and reading of God's Word throughout my ministry.

Surely you don't think one is sinning when one is praying or reading God's Word?

Surely you don't doubt God's Word which declares when we are walking in the Spirit we will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh?

It is entirely postsible for a person to 'not sin,' for God has provided a way of escape.

When I am given over to 24 hours, 48, 72 or how ever many hours to study in preparation for the Sunday services or Wednesday services, surely you are not accusing me of sinning in studying God's Word!

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

No, I do not think someone who is studying the Word is sinning. I have to wonder if we as flawed human beings can even define or imagine what an extended period of time without sin means, really means.

If I was studying for preperation of a Sunday School lesson for instance, what have my thoughts been before and after that study that day. Did I have an angry thought towards someone? Did I think how nice that material thing would be nice to have? Did I eat too much? Did I fail to give a brother a word of encouragement or fail to help someone in need I saw along the highway? Did I speed to get somewhere? Were all my thoughts pure for that day? Was I too tired to call someone and tell them I love them? etc, etc, etc

Are we really sure we go a whole day without sin?

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Has any human being ever lived a life without sin other than our Lord? Even if we start at salvation, has there ever been a person that lived the rest of their life without sin? Not that I've ever heard of.

If we are growing and maturing spiritually, we should sin less and less, but to be sin free, I don't know of anyone that has ever accomplished that.

12. Diggin in da Word

it is not that we do not sin at all, but it is certainly wrong to say we sin every day.

13. JDale

JDale Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That statement alone provides evidence that at the very least you do not understand the true depths of the fallen state on mankind.

I know some who believe that Christians can live "above known sin," (The Keswick view of sanctification) but they would not claim to be able to live above ALL sin.

Truth is, even when we are unaware of our sin, when we are unconscious of our errant motivations and intentions, we STILL sin in the eyes of God.

JDale

14. Salamander

Salamander New Member

More "baptist gossip"

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Exactly my point.

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

You statement makes no sense. It is a statement asking to verify a statement as true or false then at the end you ask them to lie.

Your statement might as well read for someone to tell you that they have not sinned by telling you they have told a lie.

I would be interested in you telling us that God is all powerful and that he can create a rock he could not lift.

I can assure you that I have gone more than 24 hours without sinning. That is unless you call sleep, sin and my clock and the news were wrong.

17. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Amen to that, as that hits the nail on the head. GB, HBSMN, and diggin whatever, you are way off the mark on this issue. Maybe as the post says above you do not understand the depth of our fallen state. Life experience alone should have taught you that point, not to speak of all the advanced education and training that you all claim to have had.

18. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

If it were in my power, and if I had a thought, deed, motive meter, and if I was a betting person, I would challenge you to a year's pay for any day you chose not to sin, and would find many. A thought, a motive, a traffic infraction, an angry moment. I would venture to say it would take considerably less time than 24 hours.

You know, I am not the judge, however, it seems to me that putting forth an agenda that includes the likes of Carter, Clinton, etc, mixing it with God's holy work, then turning right around and bashing with post after post one of his denominations, just might irk the Lord.

#58 saturneptune, May 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2007
  19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

So are you saying that you can sin while sleeping?

20. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

An opposite example of that would be the SBC suing each other in MO.