1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Famous KJVO theologians?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by annsni, Apr 19, 2008.

1. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I'm happy to hear that excentric is familiar with Jeremiah. Does anyone else recognize any of these names on my list? Think about it.

Ed

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

The reason I asked had to do with the similar spelling and/or pronounciation of the names of several different individuals. Since we do not know one another, I would not hazard to guess who you might enjoy especially and be referring to, among the several.

Erickson
    - To my knowledge, Dr. Millard J. Erickson was the most logical choice, here, although I guess there could possibly be others of similar names.

Chafer - Likewise, I assumed Dr. Lewis Sperry Chafer, here. Others one might possibly be referring to could include Dr. Rollin T. Chafer, who served as Registrar, wrote the book on, and taught Biblical Hermeneutics as well as Theology alongside his brother at Dallas, considering Hermeneutics is the basis for Theology. And one might have referred to Dr. Francis A. Schaeffer, a well known evangelical theologian and apologist of the following generation.

Bancroft
    - This could have referred to Dr. Emery H. Bancroft, Dr. Aaron Bancroft, or Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr. Richard Bancroft, (He, not Dr. John Rainolds, headed the translation of the KJV, at King James I's behest.) all theologians.

Strong
    - Dr. James Strong (Strong's concordance), Dr. James Woodward Strong, as well as Dr. Augustus Hopkins (A. H.) Strong could be the strong man, here. Pun intended. :D

Hodges - Although you said "Hodges", you actually meant Dr. Charles Hodge as opposed to Dr. George Hodges or Mr. Zane C. Hodges. Nor did you mean the son of Charles, Dr. A. A. Hodge. As with all the above, I just wanted to hodge my bets, you see. [GROAN of Agony!]

(OK, I know that that last one was a really bad pun.) Finally,

Cambron - Not John Cameron in 17th Century Scotland but Dr. Mark. G. Cambron, as you said.

At least 15 potential names to fill 5 'slots'. As Lt. Columbo might have said, with the half-smoked, unlit cigar in his mouth, while flipping through his small note pad, "You see my problem, here? You got a match? I can't seem to find one. Oh! Just one more thing ..."

I am extremely pleased that you included Dr. Mark G. Cambron in this list. :thumbs: Dr. Cambron was VP, Dean for a time, and later President of the Bible College, I attended and graduated from, and was one of my professors, many years ago, and undoubtedly influenced my own thinking, in several ways, as he taught the Hermeneutics and Bible Doctrine classes, I had, a total of 12 semester hours. I loved him greatly, and fully agree with your assessment of his book on Bible Doctrine. IMO, the major shortcoming of that book, is the absence of a chapter on Bibliology, for it is an excellent summary treatment of the nine subjects it does cover. But I do wish it had that subject covered in it, as well.

Dr. Cambron and his beloved "Miss Mary", are now both with the Lord, as Dr. Cambron was called home, I believe in 1999 or 2000, when he was well up into his 80s, and "Miss Mary" was called to join 'Mark' not very long after that.

Dr. Cambron, as the College VP, was the one who placed the cowl on me, in the graduation ceremony. I shall never forget his always present, beaming smile. :)

Ed

3. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I include Cambron because he usually covered the same material as the more verbose in many less words. Someone years ago sent me a cdrom of some of his sermons and I enjoyed hearing the man I had used so much :thumbs: He also sat in the classroom with Cambron. Can't remember his name off hand.

4. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

Apostle Paul :thumbs:

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Yer' catching on!

Re-read my posts #25, #39, & #41.

I just spotted a couple more of my 'typos' in post #25, but will have to wait a little longer to correct 'em, since I gotta go for now. ;)

Ed

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Getting back to "correcting" my initial post, as promised.

OOPS! It appears I musta' left out some commas. This 'list' of "premier theologians" should read, in this manner :

"They would include, among some others, David, Jeremiah, Johannes, Immanuel, Simon, Jacobus, Matt, Solomon, and 'Zeke', Daniel, none of the names of whom, I hear mentioned as frequently as one might actually expect."

Does anyone (besides PreachTREE, perhaps) recognize any of these names, now?? :rolleyes:

Guess what, gang?? Gotcha!

Ed