1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Farewell sermon - any advice?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Covenanter, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Part 9.

How do we apply all this to ourselves in our day?

Is being an non-conforming baptist Christian worth the trouble?

The persecution of Christians continues today. Why don't we just keep quiet & conform to the demands of the religious authorities? Sadly, for many today the choice is shut up, conform, or prison & death.

But, we have Jesus' command to share the Gospel with lost sinners.

Jesus warned his disciples - These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.” John 16:33

In our prayer meetings, Pastor Robin is teaching from Peter's first letter. I do urge you to come to the prayer meetings – come & be encouraged. Come & encourage Robin as he leads & serves us.

Peter was writing thirty years after Pentecost. He begins his letter: Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To God’s elect, strangers in the world.....

He writes of believers, those strangers in the world, being a holy nation – the redeemed people of God -

2:9 But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. 10 Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.

The first century Christians were suffering persecution, & Peter has a wonderful message of encouragement for them.

Jesus did rise from the dead & that gives us a living hope;

when we die, whether young or after a long natural life, or suffer extreme persecution for our faith, we have a wonderful inheritance reserved for us in heaven;

while we live, Jesus is with us through suffering & trials & he gives a tremendous spiritual joy which the world cannot give, & cannot take away.

Amen.

I wrote our closing hymn after a discussion on suitable hymns for baptism. I hope it will soon be used for some of you as you repent & commit your lives to Jesus as YOUR Lord & Saviour.

J – Repent and be baptised

As a blessing I will read from 1 Peter 1 -

1 Peter 1:3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade. This inheritance is kept in heaven for you, 5 who through faith are shielded by God’s power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time. 6 In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials, 7 that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honour, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ, 8 whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, 9 receiving the end of your faith—the salvation of your souls.

Amen –

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now we have moved to Peterchurch in the "Golden Valley" on the border between England & Wales -
    The Golden Valley lies between the Black Mountains of Wales, and the Wye Valley in the west of Herefordshire, England. A haven of peace and tranquility, the deeply rural area is approximately 9 miles long and 6 miles wide. Running through the valley is the River Dore which surprisingly gives the area its name. A thousand years ago the Norman invaders mistook the name for D'or meaning Golden, whereas in reality the river was called after the Welsh word Dwr meaning water. No matter the name stuck and the Golden Valley is still to this day a glorious treasure waiting to be discovered.

We have no plans to try panning.

The nearest Gospel church is at Hay on Wye, 10 miles away where we have worshipped when the snow didn't prevent us.

The local Anglican churches of 5 villages have a rota of one or two services a month. It's a mission field. I am trying to get to know folk with a view to arranging Gospel services. They have a regular midweek service on Wednesday mornings. I've been to three, with an attendance of 4, 2 & 2. Different people at each service. The service liturgy is based around Celtic worship & includes a short Bible reading & open prayer. Today I took a hymn-book & led the singing of a hymn the liturgy set prayer is based on - St. Patrick's Breastplate. I've got a modern hymnbook with revised wording.

I commented to the shopkeeper that the church wasn't functioning as a church, & he replied that it was a cafe! They serve lunches 4 days a week, host the public library & have various exercise & yoga classes. Ann met the physiotherapist who came to advise on bathroom modifications. I've been to choir practice on Monday evenings - anything but formal religious choir music.

The vicar has started a study on "meditation" attended by 4 of us. At the discussion at the start I pointed out the dangers of Eastern meditation as opposed to Biblical meditation. No Bible reading, prayer or worship - think of a river with all your problems floating away, & think of a word or two you can keep repeating ... I did point out the similarity to what he was saying to the mind emptying mantras. My suggestion was "Rejoice in the LORD always", with the focused Scriptural meditation counselled by Paul in Philippians 4. The other two were mature Christians who (hopefully) wouldn't "benefit" from the course.

I know I'm off topic but I'd appreciate comments.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Genevanpreacher

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like a new mission field for YOU my friend! Wish I could come help. :(

• Like Like x 1
  5. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Preach the Gospel.

I think that would be Paul's advice.

God bless.

6. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the encouragement.

Regarding "meditation" there are many references in the Psalms, always focused on God or his word. Lately I have remembered a hymn we sang at our son's wedding in Sardinia, Italy, nearly 30 years ago. Amazing how some hymns remain. It's "Ti esalto Dio mio Re" paraphrasing Psalm 45.

I've re-paraphrased it, to the Italian tune, partly in response to the vicar's teaching - note the reference to meditation.

Psalm 145
    Paraphrased in English after the Italian “Ti esalto Dio mio Re”

I will exalt you, my Lord, my God, my King;
    and forever your praises I'll sing;
    each day I will bless your great name
    and will exalt you. Alleluia,

The LORD is great and most worthy of our praises,
    and his greatness is beyond our understanding.
    Each generation will tell unto their children
    the saving power of your great and holy name.

We will sing of the glory of your kingdom
    and will meditate on all your wondrous works;
    we will celebrate the bounty of your goodness
    and sing for joy of your perfect righteousness.

The Lord is gracious and full of loving kindness;
    slow to anger and rich in saving love;
    his providence sustains his whole creation
    and his praise resounds from earth to heaven above.

The LORD is faithful to all who love and trust him;
    his gracious hand provides for every living thing.
    Let all creation join to sing his praises
    and exalt our Creator, God and King.
    Chorus

Ian Day
    March 2018

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The last message I preached at a church was entitled "Final Fawell" -That was 20 some years ago - dont have the notes handy.

I remember the final message of a pastor Schultz - he stated that the new pastor was not Pastor Schultz and that Pastor Thompson would do some things differently and that we should respect the new pastor.

• Like Like x 1