1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fasting

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by USN2Pulpit, Mar 23, 2004.

1. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

A few weeks back, I preached (rather, taught) a lesson about fasting to the congregation. Several people were very interested - people who have been baptists for years - and said they had never heard anyone preach about fasting.

Perhaps we Baptists should promote it a little more from time to time. I know it's not something we cover a lot, but I was astonished at some of the people who had never heard a sermon or lesson about fasting.

2. john6:63

john6:63 New Member

Hi USN2Pulpit
    I take it you were in the US Navy? I was from '92-'96. I was a Quartermaster on the USS Stephen W. Groves FFG-29, stationed in Pascagoula, MS.

I’ve never heard any sermons about Fasting either. I did however read a book by Dr. John R. Rice Prayer, Asking and Receiving, about a year ago that touched briefly on Fasting.

I’m glad you brought this topic up. I have a few questions for you, if you don’t mind.

When is it necessary to Fast? What’s typically involved when Fasting; do I pray some, then read some of the Bible? How long should it last? Do I Fast by myself?

Does your Church have a website that may have your sermon transcript posted? I’d like to see it if it’s possible.

3. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Yes - US Navy from 1982-2002.

I don't have an "up and running" website yet - but hopefully will soon. Here at least is an excerpt from the intro (borrowed from a famous sermon) that I used that night:

4. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Bump - I can see this subject in Baptist circles is just how I suspected - largely ingored.

Let me modify my original comment and ask this: Do pastors/lay-leaders/congregants of Baptist churches even believe that fasting is an important part of Christian life or does it serve no purpose?

I obviously feel that it does serve a spiritual purpose, but it can be difficult to commit to. My personal feelings are that if a person (pastor/teacher/leader) won't commit, then the chances are great that they won't preach or teach about it either.

(After having said this, I would have to admit that I have trouble commiting to it as well - it was a case where God's Word brought the preacher under conviction.)

5. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I was in Pascagoula many times. I am not USN, but I was project manager of many electronics devices used in your ships and got to visit a lot of ships to obtain information that was poorly documented on interfacing equipment and such. I designed most of the solid state radar switching that is on many of the ships today. Along with some components in the Tomahawk Cruise Missile.

Got to sit in the captians chair of the USS America when it was in Norfolk getting fitted for the first gulf war and watched the Eisenhower return with everybody on deck in their whites. They passed right by us and we had a birds eye view, better than CNN who was trying to cover it. THis was during desert shield before the war actually started.

I know, I'm off the subject here. Just wanted to say hi to some of the good ole Navy boys who were always extremely nice and helpful to us.

6. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The first time I ever heard fasting mentioned in my church (and I've gone there all my life) was just recently when we were looking for a new pastor. A very intelligent young man who is a deacon and on the search committee brought it up as something we should consider. Surprisingly, at least to me, the idea was greeted with enthusiasm. So, along with a call to members to promise to pray a set amount of time every day for a month for the church, finding a pastor, and being in God's will for our community, the committee also called for as many as would like to fast for the last day. That day happened to be New Year's Eve, and we included a simple potluck dinner as a part of our usual observance, so that those who fasted could break the fast together, along with the rest of the congregation whether they did or not. There was no call to have the persons fasting identify themselves, but information about scripture on the subject was made available in the bulletin the week before along with the prayer requests. The prayer time we had that night was the most blessed I have experienced in a long time, and the man we evenutally called to be our pastor was the speaker that night. I am certain the prayer commitments and the call to fasting had to do with that, and I think there is no doubt we are in God's will. God used it as a tool to bring us together in a way we have never been before.

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

I guess it depends on what kind of fast you are talking about. Not all fasting is with no foods at all. I am diabetic and can not do a total fast, and would not either.

8. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I bet you could tell by how they chowed down at the pot-luck dinner. On second thought, you probably couldn't. There is not a good baptist that I know that doesn't just LOVE a good pot luck dinner. :D

In all sincerety, This is a good post and is very interesting. It appears the church did a good thing. Fasting is definitely Biblical, just not followed a lot anymore. [​IMG]

9. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Fasting will not harm a healthy person, in fact it has proven to be somewhat good at helping to rest the digestive system and reduce toxins, but if you are diabetic, NO you would not be expected to do a total removal of food.

Let me suggest something for you (we have a lot of diabetics in our church and in my family, so I am high risk when I get older, so I have to be careful myself). Our pastor mentioned that a fast is actually as sacrifice of something we like. In Biblical times, it was considered as food. So, maybe if there is a particular food you eat daily and like a lot, you don't eat that particular food for a period of time, while praying, etc. He also mentioned that it certainly wouldn't hurt people to do something else, for instance, don't watch tv for a period of time. It is the sacrifice of something we like that shows we are subjective to the Lord. Though, this is not to be confused with sacrifice for sin, that was eliminated with Jesus dying on the cross; we are, in effect giving up something we like for the sake of worshipping God. He appreciates "anything we do in his honor." As long as it is in his will. [​IMG]