1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Favorite "Lesser-known" Bible Characters

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Pastor_Bob, Mar 2, 2018.

1. One Baptism

One Baptism Active Member

Tertius [Romans 16:22]. A name of a scribe [amenuensis, if someone wants to be scholarly]. He got to write Romans, while Paul spake as he was moved by the Holy Ghost. Front row seats. We know what it is like to read it, and to hear it preached from, but what was it like to hear it for the first time, as it was given, and to write it down for the very first time? Kinda like Jeremiah and Baruch. If we compare it to those who later translated the scriptures, in how it changed their lives in so doing, what then of Tertius? I can only guess at it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. One Baptism

The most amazing thing about that part, is all those disciples were praying, and praying, and praying for Peter to be released. God does it, and Peter shows up at the door of the very house of them who are praying, and when he knocks for admittance, Rhoda comes, doesn't open the door for Peter [now an escaped fugitive, thus to be outside is a very dangerous place to be]! Runs back to everyone, excited, and tells them Peter is at the very door [ie, their prayer was answered!], and what do those praying ones do? Believe it right away? Are you kidding? They're like, 'You're crazy. Prayer doesn't work like that, does it?' [a little liberty here] :)

It's amazing. We pray, but do we believe God will answer in His timing, and when He does will we even believe then?

#22 One Baptism, Mar 3, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  3. One Baptism

Paul's Nephew [Paul's sister's son], a brave lad [we could also consider his [Paul's] sister for that matter], a matter of life and death, was the boy afraid, at night, to go into a Roman Castle, to bring word to Paul, and then to take it to the actual Chief Captains of despised Rome [whome Paul must have had some confidence in, at least from a Roman law perspective] and relay it to him -- catch this scene aright, hear the soldiery music rising, and assassins lying in wait, who will eat nothing until Paul and those guarding Paul are dead, a secret message, a tense moment, in the darkness, torchlight, Romans and a Christian Jew, the massive force that was raised at night [practically the whole Garrison!!!], get outta bed boys, ready the horse, were moving!, [did I mention this was at night?] this is an awesome scene [which the movie, Acts of the Apostles absolutely ruins, with "Luke's" terrible acting]::

Acts 23:16 KJB - And when Paul's sister's son heard of their lying in wait, he went and entered into the castle, and told Paul.

Acts 23:17 KJB - Then Paul called one of the centurions unto him, and said, Bring this young man unto the chief captain: for he hath a certain thing to tell him.

Acts 23:18 KJB - So he took him, and brought him to the chief captain, and said, Paul the prisoner called me unto him, and prayed me to bring this young man unto thee, who hath something to say unto thee.

Acts 23:19 KJB - Then the chief captain took him by the hand, and went with him aside privately, and asked him, What is that thou hast to tell me?

Acts 23:20 KJB - And he said, The Jews have agreed to desire thee that thou wouldest bring down Paul to morrow into the council, as though they would enquire somewhat of him more perfectly.

Acts 23:21 KJB - But do not thou yield unto them: for there lie in wait for him of them more than forty men, which have bound themselves with an oath, that they will neither eat nor drink till they have killed him: and now are they ready, looking for a promise from thee.

Acts 23:22 KJB - So the chief captain then let the young man depart, and charged him, See thou tell no man that thou hast shewed these things to me.

Acts 23:23 KJB - And he called unto him two centurions, saying, Make ready two hundred soldiers to go to Caesarea, and horsemen threescore and ten, and spearmen two hundred, at the third hour of the night;

Acts 23:24 KJB - And provide them beasts, that they may set Paul on, and bring him safe unto Felix the governor.

Acts 23:25 KJB - And he wrote a letter after this manner:

Acts 23:26 KJB - Claudius Lysias unto the most excellent governor Felix sendeth greeting.

Acts 23:27 KJB - This man was taken of the Jews, and should have been killed of them: then came I with an army, and rescued him, having understood that he was a Roman.

Acts 23:28 KJB - And when I would have known the cause wherefore they accused him, I brought him forth into their council:

Acts 23:29 KJB - Whom I perceived to be accused of questions of their law, but to have nothing laid to his charge worthy of death or of bonds.

Acts 23:30 KJB - And when it was told me how that the Jews laid wait for the man, I sent straightway to thee, and gave commandment to his accusers also to say before thee what they had against him. Farewell.

Acts 23:31 KJB - Then the soldiers, as it was commanded them, took Paul, and brought him by night to Antipatris.
    I call this "Paul and the 40 [and more] Jews"

#23 One Baptism, Mar 3, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  4. One Baptism

Yea, and like Tabitha [Dorcas; KJB Acts 9:36,39], she [the godly Woman, the woman of Wisdom] will be sorely missed if gone too long, and so a reward from her Father in Heaven will be given her [KJB Acts 9:40] …

great will be her reward in heaven, for the “treasure”, to be given her, are all of the poor that, by the grace of God, accepted the Gospel through her faithful life's witness, being utilized of God, showing forth the character of her Father in Heaven.

5. Ready to Harvest

Faith:
    Baptist
    I too love the story of the daughters of Zelophehad. They show up a couple times, asking clarifying questions with a good spirit. We need more people like them today.