1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Favorite Study bible, and why?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Yeshua1, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Garrett20

Garrett20 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you sir. Very informative. I use the NKJV Reformation Study Bible over the ESV for the same reason. Ha.. I have mainly used MacArthur’s NKJV study Bible over all others but I agree with what you wrote about his. My wife bought me a Vines Expository Bible also. I don’t use it as much but it’s a great Bible and the genuine leather is great.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rippon2

Rippon2 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know I am not speaking of the LBCof F. I am speaking of your constant fabrications regarding the NIV over a period of a decade and a half. Indeed, you can't even manage to read a three page document. You make things up out of thin air. I call you on it and yet you continue on with your absurdities. You misrepresent, evade and spout irrelevancies. Your links usually fail you. They have nothing to do with your claims, mention nothing of which you claim or entirely go against your narratives.

You are a grown man with adult children but act like a preteen. I present facts and you don't address them. You run and hide. You quote entire posts of mine and deal with nothing I've stated. You ask the same inane questions hundreds of times when I and others have dealt with them repeatedly.

The main gripe I have about you is that you have violated a core principle of the Word of God --you bare false witness on a regular basis. Christians are called upon to be truthful. The ninth commandment makes that clear. But you show a lack of integrity. And, of course, you show no sign of remorse and a commitment to forsake your ways.

Another thing is that you are careless with your posts. It's like you just throw anything on the screen without thinking about it. You show an unwillingness to edit so that people can understand your gibberish. You post way too much. If you'd cut back considerably you could spent some time to actually read the Scripture or Christian books. You would stop posting all kinds of questions that have been dealt with at least scores of times --you have engaged with the same material over and over yet ask the same questions incessantly.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The NKJV and ESV are both great translations. One should pick between the two based on underlying Greek preferences. If you are a TR fan, you made the right choice with the NKJV. Fantastic version.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 4
  4. Garrett20

Garrett20 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well said. I am more of a ‘Byzantine text-form preferred’ type over the TR specifically. The NKJV is an excellent work that represents that stream of transmission. The ESV is one I go to frequently though. Both carry on the KJV’s beautiful English as well in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While not my main, I have to say that the LEB notes are very in depth.

And with the app being free, you can't beat the price .

• Like Like x 2
  6. alexander284

alexander284 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like the ESV Student Study Bible. It's basically a condensed version of the ESV Study Bible (or Crossway's answer to Zondervan's NIV Study Bible).

And it's certainly a lot easier to lug around (as opposed to it's big brother, the ESV Study Bible)! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The real problem is that you view the Niv in ther same fashion as KJVO view the Kjv, as both of you seem to not accept that there are areas with legit concerns over how they chose to translate their passages!
    And the Niv 2011 still does have real issues in how they treated inclusive gender issues!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed, as serious students of the Bible should be using either those 2, or the Nas also!
    I just wish the Sproul reformation came in the nas!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    have you tried out the 1995 nas yet?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I recently picked up a esv SB in the personal size edition, and it now my go to bible!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that you seem to be unable to grasp the simple truth that while many saw the 1984 Niv as beig a good translation, that the revisions done to the 2011 edition made it move to being seen as unacceptable by some, or else made worse than the 1984 by others!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gender inclusive language is some instances distorts the very meaning God intended for us to have!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rippon2

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't merely assert -- give examples from the text. But that is something you never done. If your charges are not found in the text, you are just making things up. That's not a good testimony. I am the one who uses the NIV as my primary translation. I doubt you have the edition. You will have to go to Biblegateway. But you are not the type to do any hard work on your own. It's easy for you to throw mud and hope something sticks, which is morally reprehensive.

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Psalm 8, and Junia as an Apostle!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rippon2

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could you please come up with something new? I have gone over each of the above too many times for you not to have gotten the message. Besides dealing with those two subjects has nothing to do with inclusive language.

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just areas where they could have been improved!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Rippon2

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have provided quotes from many other Bible translations that dealt with Psalm 8 the way the NIV handled it. The NIV is not unique in that regard. I have also provided the text from many translations that approximate how the NIV worded Romans 15:7. The NASB renders it exactly as the NIV as I have told you many times. If you could try to improve your English ability, you would understand that Junia was esteemed by the apostles.

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    true, but was not an Apostle....

• Like Like x 1
  19. Garrett20

Garrett20 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I don’t mind the NASB at all. Typically when reviewing a passage I go to it to check their translation. It has the same textual base as the ESV. Did they update it recently? I’ve heard they were planning on it. I see Zondervan is publishing more NASB Bibles lately.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Zondervan has what looks like will eb a great collection of nas bible in their premier line now, but do have fears that ther 2020 revision will be for the worst, as looks like heading heading towards some more inclusive languaging now!

• Like Like x 1