1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Favorite Study Bible

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Friend of God, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I ain't no English teacher. You done some misreading somewhere.

I can write the English of the queen. I simply choose not to do so.

2. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was quoting what you said in regards to updating classical literature from generation to generation... I checked Rippon's profile out he is an English teacher by occupation and you are manufacturing... The profile reveals what you want revealed... Brother Glen

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I guess the term "heart language" can be taken that way. I meant it as the language you naturally speak.
    Oh no! Hold up there. I'm not your enemy. I was simply maintaining the fact that you and I do not speak English that they did 500 hundred years ago. William Tyndale would not have advocated that a translation made that long ago should remain static. He was an advocate of putting the language in contemporary speech.Remember his plowboy remark? Do you agree or disagree with his idea?

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would maintain that the Bible is in a class of its own. Classical literature is far inferior than the Word of God. Translations of the Word of God in any language should be in the way people speak currently.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What exactly should I know better? What shame should I feel?

6. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I keep waiting for the Ebonics, gangbanger translation.

7. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And on the other end of the spectrum...

Matthew 3
    Some years later, along come John the Baptist, preachin in the wilderness of Judea, 2. Sayin, Get right: the kingdom of heaven is purt near here. 3. John was the one that the prophet Esaias talked about, sayin, One hollerin in the wilderness, Yall lay the road for the Lord, and make his road straight, on a even grade. 4. Now John didn't wear nothin but camel hide and a leather belt; and all he ever et was grasshoppers and wild honey, ever meal of the day. 5. Everbody in Jerusalem, and Judea and all the country round about Jordan went out to see him, 6. And got baptized by John in the Jordan, and confessed they sins. 7. But when he seen that a right smart of the Pharisees and Sadducees had come down to the river, he said, You bunch of snakes, didn't I tell you to run from the whoopin yall bout to git? 8. Do somethin to show God you're sorry: 9. And don't try to tell me, We are the sons of Abraham: cause I'm tellin you that God can make Him some more sons of Abraham out of these here rocks. 10. The axe is just about to come down on the trees: and ever tree without good fruit is fixin to be cut down, and throwed in the fire. 11. I baptize you and warsh away your sins with this here water: but the one comin after me is a whole lot stronger; I ain't worthy to tote his shoes: and he's bout to baptize yall with the Holy Ghost and with fire: 12. He's got his fan in his hand, and he'll use it to separate the wheat from the chaff; he's gonna clean house, and put the wheat up in the loft, but he's gonna burn up the chaff with a fire that caint be put out. 13. Then up comes Jesus from Galilee to Jordan; right up to John, lookin to be baptized. 14. But John says, No sir, it oughta be you dunkin me. 15. And Jesus said, Just do what I ask you, cousin; cause it's fittin. So John did. 16. Once Jesus was baptized, he come straight up outten the water, and look, the heavens opened up above him, and he seen the Spirit of God descendin like a dove, and it lit on him: 17. And listen, a voice from heaven said, This here's my baby boy, and I am tickled with him.
    Matthew 3 Deep Southern English Bible

Kinda linken it, maken me feelin kina tickled m'sef.

Rob

8. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even though that might be how some people, somewhere in the South talk, it is definitely not North Georgia mountain dialect. What you posted does demonstrate a valid point. How far are we willing to go with translation?

9. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Originally posted by William Tyndale

"I defy the Pope and all his laws. If God spare my life, ere many years I will cause a boy who drives the plough to know more of the scriptures than you do."​

• Like Like x 2
  10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That would be pretty much ground zero for heresy! Dakes is one their big guns use....

11. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You remember in my open in post I qualified my mention of Dake.

12. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That has got to be the Redneck translation... Brother Glen:Biggrin

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, and just notice how many false faith teachers grew up on him!

14. Jonesy

Jonesy New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Been using the MacArthur Study Bible for 17 years and absolutely love it.

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, even though he is a "leaky Dspy"

16. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Done been tried nearly 50 years ago in the Bible Society's journal Bible Translator:

"A Black English Translation of John 3:1–21 with Grammatical Annotations"
    Walter A. Wolfram, Ralph W. Fasold

SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class journal research

Thankfully nothing further came of it after black pastors strongly objected.

17. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a good reason for improving the education of ploughboys, not for dumbing down the Bible.

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is the NKJV an example of "dumbing down" the Bible? What about the NASB? Both of these translations do not use some of the phraseology of the KJV --the so-called standard. Both were translated in somewhat more modern speech than the KJV.

Many words from Tyndale and the KJV were dropped from the NASB and NKJV. Is that a sign of dumbing-down?

The term dumbing-down needs to re-evaluated. Putting the original language in more modern colloquial language is not "dumbing-down" at all. Putting God's Holy Word in clear and natural language for people in the 21st century is a God-honoring thing to do as Tyndale himself would agree.

19. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just saw an ad for the ESV Systematic Theology Study Bible, so who's got one?
    :)

20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just taking a wild guess here, but "who's got one" will turn out to be Calvinist leaning!