1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FBC Jacksonville 'In Cardiac Arrest', Must Shrink Its Campus Downtown

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jerome, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First Baptist Church to Shrink Downtown Jacksonville Campus from Ten Blocks to One | Financial News & Daily Record - Jacksonville, Florida

"First Baptist Church Jacksonville Senior Pastor Heath Lambert thought it would be difficult to convince his congregation that a $30 million loan is the best way for the 181-year-old church to address a debt crisis and stop 'bleeding from its pores'."

"Eleven straight years of decline dropped average attendance at First Baptist Church to about 3,200 as of 2018, Lambert said. He showed the fall in a line graph to members Sunday. At its height, Sunday attendance averaged 10,000"

"'Here’s what I’m telling you — First Baptist Church is in cardiac arrest,' Lambert said during his sermon Sunday. 'And if we don’t jolt back to life with a loan, we’re not going to make it'."

"Lambert said Sunday the church will consolidate its ministry from 10 city blocks Downtown into one....bounded by Church, Hogan, Laura and Ashley streets. That block includes Hobson Auditorium, which was built in 1904....which will once again serve as the First Baptist Church worship facility....That block does not include its main auditorium and the Lindsay auditorium"

"Lambert unveiled the plan, called 'A New Generation of Miracles,' to the congregation during the 10:30 a.m. service Sunday. The congregation voted Sunday to authorize First Baptist Church leadership to take out a $30 million loan to finance a renovation and retrofit of 'The Hobson Block'."

fbcjax.com/thestorycontinues

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They take out a 30 mill loan when they are in decline? How stupid.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I was thinking the same, but they are planning to sell much of their property.

Six of First Baptist Church’s 10 Downtown blocks are contiguous and three are split within a larger area.

Lambert said there has not been an appraisal of the land First Baptist Church plans to market, but church leaders expect the proceeds will cover the $30 million loan.

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know their property been there multiple times. Still doesn't justify it. When you are in a hole stop digging.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I certainly didn't mean to imply I'm justifying it, nor that I am agreeing with their plan.

6. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am bit lost. They are selling 9 blocks of property and having to borrow money?

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep sell the property then remodel. Apparently they do not want to wait.

8. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok. Seems like a sure fire road to bankruptcy.

9. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Church's website says the loan will be repaid by members' giving:

The Story Continues... · FBC JAX

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    On their Q&A page - they asked
    "What if Membership grows:
    Answer: "We are praying that our church will grow, and we expect that we will. Our plan is
    to accommodate growth through multiple services and multiple locations."

My Answer - Encourage them to join one of he other 200 churches in Jacksonville!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dire straits:

"Senior Pastor Heath Lambert....told the congregation about how on Monday mornings he would be on the floor in his church office, praying while a church committee at another location counted the offerings from the day before. He was 'begging God to have enough money to pay our people this week'."

"'Every day in the month of July, I don’t care who you are, you had more money in your bank account than First Baptist Church did,' Lambert told the congregation on Sept. 8. 'Every single day. If you had $1 in your bank account, you had more money than First Baptist Church of Jacksonville, and we are spending $1.2 million a month'."

Florida Times-Union • FBC Jacksonville tries to avert demise

Church likely already multi millions of dollars in debt before taking on this $30,000,000 loan:

"loan documents recorded in the Duval County Clerk’s office....May 2015 document showed the church with a $5 million revolving line of credit promissory note with SunTrust Bank....July 2018 document showed the church with a $6 million promissory note with SunTrust. First Baptist declined to comment on what the current unpaid principal amount is."

12. Just_Ahead

Just_Ahead Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jerome, I enjoy your research and posts. After doing some research of my own and making a few posts, I have decided to go silent. There is an interesting group here on Baptist Board. Interesting, but time consuming to follow and reply. Too many interruptions for my personal Bible study.

But, please do carry on.

I may pop in every now and then when local weather keeps me inside.

:Rolleyes

13. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  14. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Man FBC Jax must be in dire shape

I know that there was huge controvesy 10 yrs ago but I thought that they might be past it by now

15. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doesn't appear they're DEPENDING ON GOD very much !

16. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First Baptist sells Ortega campus | Jax Daily Record | Financial News & Daily Record - Jacksonville, Florida