1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Fed Ends Bond Buying Scheme--Dow Up 1.4%

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by InTheLight, Oct 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Irony alert!

I started this thread. I offered data and proof of my claim. You? You just post the opposite of what I said, offering no compelling evidence whatsoever.

Hilarious.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No you didn't. I can find not one outside source in any of your posts that supports you claims of cause and effect. Simply saying "this is the effect" or "this is not the effect" is not proof.

Compelling to whom? That is a rather arrogant attitude. My claim was just as legitimate as yours is. You not agreeing with it is not a determining factor of what is a legitimate claim.

Having said all of that it has nothing to do with what I posted.

#22 Revmitchell, Oct 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2014
  3. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the bond buying program was not meant to prop up the stock market then why did they do it at all?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/markets/2013/05/02/can-fed-keep-propping-up-stocks/2129787/

4. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of the biggest dangers to the continued upward movement of the stock market is if we enter a period of deflation.

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now let's take a look at what really happened when this was announced:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/29/us-markets-stocks-idUSKBN0II13L20141029

So we see the annoucnement was not all rosey.

6. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow, that's a lot. HA HA.

Announcement was made the afternoon that the market ended up like this. The next day was the first full day it would have affected anything.

It's all moot because the market had known for months that the bond buying program was going to end on that particular day. The fact that the market "fell" 0.18 percent only drives my point home. The bond buying program was not a big factor in the market run up.

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still nothing to support your claim of cause and effect.

8. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Highly unlikely. But since you brought it up--what happened to the hyper inflation we were supposed to have when the Fed started "printing money" back in 2008? Remember the predictions of Weimar Republic like hyper inflation? Remember the "buy gold" frenzy? Oh, that's right. Some people like to see the world the way they think it is, not the way it really is.

9. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rev. continues to beat a dead horse. If I were at a stage in my life where I was investing I would consider this a good time to selectively begin buying. The chart has changed direction and is giving a buy signal. If it breaks 17400 it will be a strong buy signal.

I am not at such a stage in life, so I will not begin buying. I am in the protection stage of life now.

[​IMG]

10. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not understanding. The announcement is made that the bond buying program is ending on Wednesday afternoon, and on Thursday the stock market jumps. In fact, the market started declining just after 12 noon on Wednesday.

http://online.wsj.com/mdc/public/page/2_3022-djiahourly.html

11. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

Economics isn't my strong suite, so I can't contribute. I did find what I quoted ironic though.

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An unbylined "Q&A" column at the Associated Press yesterday began with the following false declaration: "The $4 trillion experiment is over." That just isn't so.

Maybe the Federal Reserve is done building up its debt holdings — that is by no means certain — but the "experiment" known as "quantitative easing," or "QE," won't be over until the Fed fully unwinds those balances. In the meantime, it has unwarranted leverage over the stock and bond markets. Fed Chair Janet Yellen has what appears to be a de facto veto over Washington policies she doesn't like should she decide to use her leverage in that manner. The rest of the AP item wasn't much better, particularly how it wormed around the reality that if the Fed wishes to avoid winding down its balances, it's going to have to keep buying Treasury and mortgage-backed securities as current holding mature:

Q: So now the Fed owns $4 trillion in bonds. Does it have to sell them?

A: No, they can sit on them. Some analysts wonder how the Fed will be able to unload its massive collection of bonds without disrupting markets. Very, very slowly, is the Fed's answer, and only if needed. One way is to stop re-investing money from bonds when they mature.

The last part of the answer proves that its first part is wrong.

- See more at: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tom-bl...er-—-4-trillion-holdings#sthash.yAiEngGa.dpuf

13. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Never a thought of your own. Sad, sad, sad.

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see there is more of the insults you accuse me of. Of course when I offer my own thoughts I get told I never have anything to support my claims. When I do offer support I get told I do not have a thought of my own. More dishonesty from several people including crabby.

#34 Revmitchell, Oct 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2014
  15. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are a good teach at insults. But that was not an insult, just a statement of fact. You post article after article after article giving the link ... but put nothing of your own thoughts in the thread.

Citing articles is fine, but what about adding your own thoughts. OK?

16. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was an insult and you know it, I know it and everyone else knows it as is what I quoted above. Apparenlty you have gotten over emotional once again. I will leave you to your anger to cool down.

17. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If laughter is an emotion, and I think it is, then yes I have gotten emotional. You bring so much humor into my life.

I see it as a statement of fact. You as an insult. Like a Bible story, different interpretations.

On the market. It will be most interesting to see if the IDU breaks above the 17400 level.

You know what I think may happen. The economy is getting better, unemployment is down, people are making money. But the public perception has not caught up with reality. That is not surprising. There is always a lag going both ways.

Now I expect the GOP will capture the Senate and will proceed to destroy the good that is now going on. This will create disaster for them in 2016. Will be most interesting to see if this happens.

If the GOP gains power in both houses they will have to come up with some play as there will be nothing for them to obstruct. With power comes responsibility and I do not believe the GOP has gained an understanding of that nasty fact.

Cheers.

18. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting for you to back your claim the Russians were firing shells into Ukraine. It might help if you actually make an effort to support your claims instead of doing the disappearing act.

19. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

20. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

NEWSFLASH: The Fed Isn't Stopping QE!

What has been expected for quite a while has now officially happened. The Federal Reserve stated that it would stop intervening on the market where it has been buying treasury bonds and mortgage-backed securities like there was no tomorrow anymore. The program started at a rate of $45B per month but was upscaled rather fast to $85B per month before being gradually scaled back since the beginning of this year. The Fed’s balance sheet has expanded considerably as you can see on the next chart.

< snip >

But wait, let’s not get carried away by the so-called ‘End of Quantitative Easing’ and have a closer look at this MBS purchase program. The Fed’s announcement to stop purchasing additional Mortgage-Backed Securities was just talking about NEW investments paid for by freshly printed money. It is the central bank’s intention to continue to reinvest the returns on its $1.7 trillion dollar Mortgage-Backed Securities portfolio back in the market in the foreseeable future.

Read More At: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-11-02/newsflash-fed-isnt-stopping-qe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.