1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Federal Judge orders Louisiana schools to stop Bible handouts

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Magnetic Poles, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

NEW ORLEANS - A federal judge ordered a public school system to stop allowing in-school Bible giveaways, saying the practice violates the First Amendment separation of church and state."Distribution of Bibles is a religious activity without a secular purpose" and amounts to school board promotion of Christianity, U.S. District Judge Carl J. Barbier ruled in a case brought by the American Civil Liberties Union of Louisiana against the Tangipahoa Parish School Board.

Read full story HERE

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I dont see where they hav the time to pass out Bible, my goodness, they are passing out condoms, info about aids, Al Gores movie, ...:tonofbricks:

3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If Bibles were allowed to be handed out in schools, would you approve schools also handing out:

The Koran
    The Verdas
    The Buddha gospel

4. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good ruling

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't we wish the government would forbid handouts of any kind?

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

Yes,
    Then that would give me an inroad to talk to the individual passing it out

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I believe it's a good ruling, too.

8. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

No.

The judge needs to step down. There's nothing wrong with passing out free Bibles. Schools do much worse things. A lot of it needs to be taken out of schools. The Bible needs to be put back in. Look what happened when they took God out.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Are you willing to accept the book of mormon, the q'ran and hadith too?

10. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

I already said no. ;)

A Christian shouldn't accept any false religions or defend them either.

Defending a secular judge who bans your God and his word is a sin too.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I hate to break this to you, but in our country we have freedom of religion. If you allow Bibles to be passed out, you ALSO must allow all other religious materials to be passed out. You can't tell the government to pass out Bibles and nothing else. It doesn't work like that.

12. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

Tell that to the FDLS. ;)

I don't care about man's laws. They go against God's word. They are null and void.

13. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wouldnt want to look God in the eye and explain why I would not hand out Bibles but would rather hand out condemns to children. :BangHead:

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why would Jesus say render unto ceasar's what is ceasar's, and to God's what is God's? The public school system is government ran. The Bible tells us to respect our authrity, and I don't recall seeing anywhere where we are to hand out Bibles to anyone. We are to make disciples, not become a literature dispenser. God would have no problem NOT handing out Bibles in the schools, IMO. He would have bigger issues with my children's requirement to read a Q'ran and other such literature.

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    They have a theocracy, in theory, in Iran. I don't want the United States to become a theocracy. The separation of church and state is a cherished constitutinal principle in this country that should continue to be upheld.

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is God's earth. He has occupied every bit of it since creation and will continue to occupy every bit of it as long as the earth stands regardless of what any person says or even commands.

17. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

webdog, we've butted heads lately, but we are in total agreement on this one.

18. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

I'll agree that he did say that. But, when the United States was formed there was nothing said about taxes. So, the government is taking taxes illegally and lying to us. The government is corrupt and goes against the scriptures. We are not to have respect or give them respect.
    They also try to indoctrinate children in the public schools. It's time for every Christian to take their children out of the public schools and teach them either in our homes or churches.

No taxes part 1

IRS Tax Is Illegal - No Tax Law Exists.

;)

19. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hand out condEMNs to children. That must be one of those fruitful slips, or whatever you call them.

Anyway, you probably know the answer there... we have separation of church and state, but not separation of sex and state; the state can promote sex, but it can't promote religion or faith. And we don't have separation of drugs and state, so schools can pass out needles; nor separation of race and state, so preference can be given a particular race or color in admissions to professional schools,.............

20. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yet again we bastardize the first amendment. It is there to disallow the establishment of a government imposed religion..Allowing Bibles to be given out, hardly establishes a church....And, although I don't condone it, hand out the Koran also, and let the words of each stand the test....Heb 4:12, applies to HIS HOLY WORD, and not to any other.

This long time assault on the first amendment has been very successful, being accepted by even some of the elect..