1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Federal judge shoots down Chicago gun sales ban

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    After ruling Chicago’s ban on firearm sales a breach of constitutional rights earlier this month, a federal judge is giving the city 180 days to formulate a new law governing gun stores.

Judge Edward Chang of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Eastern Division, granted the city’s request for time to craft an ordinance reflecting, as one municipal official said, “many detailed components, including zoning, licensing and operational requirements for gun dealers."

In his original Jan. 6 ruling, Chang not only struck down Chicago’s decades-old ban on firearm sales and transfers, but opined that the ban in America’s third-largest city doesn’t necessarily reduce violent crime, as the city has long insisted as a rationale for the prohibition.

“Chicago’s ordinance goes too far in outright banning legal buyers and legal dealers from engaging in lawful acquisitions and lawful sales of firearms,” Chang wrote, according to Forbes, “and at the same time the evidence does not support that the complete ban sufficiently furthers the purposes that the ordinance tries to serve.”

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...down-chicago-gun-sales-ban/?intcmp=latestnews

2. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One more example of liberals going too far.

3. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

I'd say quite the opposite. I see this as a conservative victory. Finally, an unconstitutional ban is lifted. Now, I expect that the laws they will write to govern firearms will still effectually be a ban, but still, a win's a win.

4. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

I see that you posted a similar post in another thread. I am assuming that was meant for the other thread.

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was a reference to the ban itself not the judges orders.