1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Federal or State/Commonwealth

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Dec 1, 2022.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I used to be an issue for the states, but the “Defense of Marriage Act” was passing into federal law in 1996, defining marriage and making it a federal issue.

As I pointed out to every Christian conservative who supported the idea, it would inevitably lead to the legalization and protection of same-sex marriage. You can’t legally restrict a benefit/right from a certain segment of citizens under the equal protections guaranteed in the Bill of Rights.

Of course, I was shouted down.

• Like Like x 1
  3. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is no longer a states rights issue.

In 2008, the the people of state of California passed a constitutional amendment (for the state) that defined marriage as between one man and one woman. A state judge, who is also him:sexual, declared that constitutional amendment to be unconstitutional. One man over ruled the will of the people.

That case made its way through the courts to SCOTUS, which declined to hear the case. Therefore, this decision by one man, a him:sexual, has become the law of the land in all 50 states.

The only way to change it is for a Federal constitutional amendment.

I find it interesting this is the bill the Dems chose to push and not the abortion bill already passed in the house.

peace to you