1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Feeding the Multitudes!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by bruren777, Oct 5, 2005.

1. bruren777

bruren777 New Member

Is feeding the multitudes a more effective out reach to the lost, or is going to the homes of those whom need help maintaining their home and helping them?

Feeding them will bring many, but once their hunger is sated how many will be interested in hearing about Jesus? Jesus fed the multitudes in Matthew 14:17 with 5 loaves of bread and 2 fish, In verse 21-22 it says about 5000 were fed and He sent them away.
    If someone is unable to keep up with maintenance due to age or physical disabilities. Members of a church could go out to the community and volunteer time and materials. Painting, repairs, mowing the grass, tending the garden are some of these things.

Feeding the multitudes is less expensive, but may not be the most effective.

Going out to the community and helping people maintain their homes is more costly, but a more effective outreach. Some churches maintain a benevolence fund, the church body may respond more openly if such a program was initiated for the benevolence fund.

I would like some thoughts and comments.

Thank you!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Yes, and yes.

While it's true that feeding the multitudes is effective, sometimes you need to take the time to leave the 99 and look for the one.

3. bapmom

bapmom New Member

bruren,

I think you could say the same for both instances.....people might not want to stay and listen once their hunger is satisfied, and people may not want you to stick around and tell them gospel once you are done mowing their lawn.

Still, I don't think thats a good excuse to not do either.....and I know you aren't looking for such an excuse. I think both areas of service are needed in our communities, and both can be utilized as an outreach with the gospel.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have to be careful not to UNDER-emphasize or OVER-emphasize good works like feeding a crowd or helping an individual.

Billy Graham said that a person in the ghetto whose baby has just been bitten by a rat won't listen to John 3:16. She needs social help and better housing more then the Gospel. (I don't agree with that, but it shows works out-of-balance)

5. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Dr. Bob,

sort of like when the Bible talks about how some people might say to the poor to "Go, be warm and fed...." and yet they do nothing to clothe or feed that poor person.

We ought to put legs and back muscle into our presenting of the Gospel?

6. patrick

patrick New Member

Bob,

Jesus dealt with the physical need first and then the spritual. Should we not follw His example?

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I was first going to reply that Dr Bob is right.

Upon reading Patrick's response, I was going to reply that Patrick is also right.

I know some of you are thinking "hey, that can't both be right". You know what? You are also right.

8. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

Sometimes, you know, we feed and clothe the needy just for the sake of getting them fed and clothed, not as an inroad to sharing the gospel with them.

9. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Yes Paul,

I guess I was coming more from the point of view that we ought not JUST share the gospel with them if it is in our power to help them with a physical need. Those are important as well.

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

You, too, are right. Whatsoever we do to the least of our brethren...