1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Female Deacons? Yes or No

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Mikey, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some translations: Romans 16:1
    New International Version
    I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a deacon of the church in Cenchreae.

International Standard Version
    Now I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a deaconess in the church at Cenchrea.
    GOD'S WORD® Translation
    With this letter I'm introducing Phoebe to you. She is our sister in the Christian faith and a deacon of the church in the city of Cenchrea.
    Douay-Rheims Bible
    AND I commend to you Phebe, our sister, who is in the ministry of the church, that is in Cenchrae:

Most translation go with "servant." Here is one lexicon's view:
    a servant
    διάκονον (diakonon)
    Noun - Accusative Feminine Singular
    Strong's Greek 1249: Probably from an obsolete diako; an attendant, i.e. a waiter; specially, a Christian teacher and pastor.

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Mikey,

New American Standard Bible Galations 3:28
    There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

The idea is that as born anew believers, we are of the same Spirit, and worldly conditions (male, jew, slave) do not make us more or less in the eyes of the Lord.

We should judge people not by earthly standards, but by the content of their spiritual character.

If we have sat under the leadership of enough men, we probably have been exposed to some who should not be in ministry. And this seems even more evident to me concerning the women I see on TV teaching God's word. But to judge people based on color or gender, or economic status is not in keeping with Christ, IMHO.

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not believe that Deacons, Elders, pastors are required to be married, but that the scriptures proscribe to us what the qualifications are for those who are married.

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Elders are those assigned spiritual authority within the local churches, as the Pastors are the senior Elder, and while men and women are one in Christ and have same spiritual blessings, do not have same positions and assigned roles for God!

5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Sword and Trowel, May 1866:

"the term elder is applied both to bishops and deacons....distinct officers were recognized by the Church, but they were lovingly blended together. There was no contention about a name as expressive of an authority, which it would have been sacrilege for others to invade."

#85 Jerome, Mar 23, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What exactly is proscribed for those who are married?

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Be husband of one wife, be able to show spiritual leadership in their own household!

8. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Bible never proscribes those things, and I'm surprised you'd claim it does!

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The bible does not tell us that the deacon/elder/pastor needs to be the husband of one wife, and to be raise up his children in an accountability way?

10. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for this info. It shows the same root word in the Greek (which I failed to consult before my previous post.) Given the 1 Tim 3 qualifications, I think the office to be male only, but also see how godly Christians can think otherwise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The churches I have attended have required deacons to be married. If the wife dies, they cease to be a deacon.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think many are missing Paul's message. We're so hung up on harmonizing the church with liberal democrat culture, we've missed the wisdom of the teaching.

Paul emphasized the importance of the elder's or deacon's wife. That's the part everyone is missing (some blatantly ignoring). Wives are vital to the church. A good successful marriage to a woman determines the qualification of the man being considered, but that's because elder and deacon wives are vital to their ministry. They are a team.

Trying to harmonize the Bible with liberal democrat political correctness is a deathblow to the structure of the Church. Men and women are distinct creations. They are equal before god, but different by design, and thrive at different roles. This is why the candidate's wife is central to the decision. But sadly, she is often glossed over because those passages are so politically incorrect, mainly because they support imply male-only leadership. But the irony is, these passages actually spotlight the value of women to ministry and those pushing female pastor's take that spotlight away.

13. Calminian

Site Supporter

It does.

But I would also challenge you, it does not qualify this with "if you are married."

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul was not married while an Apostle, was he?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Calminian

Site Supporter

Frankly, I don't know. He may have lost his wife at some point. But we're not talking about qualifications for an Apostle. That's a vote of One. Congregations have no say in who God raises up and sends.

And God sent the Apostle Paul to tell us explicitly to appoint successfully married men to the offices of elder and deacon. We can't ignore that.

A lot of people use this example of Paul to question his own teaching on the matter, but it's a false comparison. God doesn't need guidelines in choosing a prophet. He can look at an individual with perfect omniscience. We, on the other hand, need guidelines, and this one seems essential. IMO, churches should interview wives as extensively as their pastoral candidate husbands. It's a team, and the feminist movement has blurred that reality.

#95 Calminian, Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2019