1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ferrar Fenton Bible

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by JFox1, Jul 14, 2007.

1. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

Today I bought from a used book store a Bible translated by Ferrar Fenton, a British business man (1832-1920). I have never heard of this translation before, and I have the Bible in 35 English translations.

It has some really strange renderings. Check out Genesis 1:1-2: By periods God created that which produced the Solar Systems; then that which produced the Earth. But the Earth was unorganized and empty, and darkness covered its convulsed surface, while the breath of God rocked the surace of the waters.

The footnote says: Literally, "By Headships/" It is curious that all translators from the Septuagent have rendered this word B'reshith, into the singular, but it is plural in the Hebrew. So I render it accurately. F.F.

The footnote in the Book of Jonah states, NOTE - Ch. w.. v. I. "Great Fish" was the name of the ship mistranslated "Whale" in the version of the Greek translators , whose blunder has been repeated by all subsequent translators, in all languages, to the perplexity of their readers until I decided to go back to the original statement of the prophet in his own Hebrew. -F.F.

In other words, Fenton is saying that Jonah wasn't really swallowed by a whale but was rescused by a ship named "Great Fish." WHAT????????????

Has anyone on this board heard of the Ferrar Fenton translation? What do you think of this translation?

2. npetreley

npetreley New Member

You can view the Bible in PDF form at this link:

http://ferrarfenton.com/

Scroll down until you see the books and links.

(For what it's worth, I'd never heard of this fellow before or his translation. I just Googled it.)

3. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    After exploring around this site, it links to another site that promotes British-Israelism (i.e. same type of teachings as Armstrong's World-wide Church of God). I'm not sure what the connection is to Ferrar Fenton, since he died before Armstrong came on the scene, but that group seems to be championing his translation and his books.

4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It also seems to be a favorite of the Christian Identity Movement.
    It is discussed on the Stormfront White Pride World Wide forums.

5. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

Thank you, everyone, for the information! I have just never heard of the Ferrar Fenton translation before. I defintely won't quote this version because I don't want people to think I believe in Anglo-Israelism or Christian Identity, in addition to this version's strange renderings and interpretations.