1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fetal Pain....

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by rufus, Aug 24, 2005.

1. rufus

rufus New Member

On Channel 7, with Charlie Gibson, it was reported last evening that researchers have evidence to "suggest" that a fetus does NOT feel "pain" until 28 weeks.

What say ye?

Rufus

2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Makes sense. Pain is dependent upon the presence of a nervous system. It takes time for one to develop.

3. Songbird

Songbird New Member

I say the issue is not just pain, but at the moment of conception that "fetus" becomes a living soul.

I think my dh said that the lady from Planned Parenthood said that if you tell the woman that the fetus might feel pain if aborted that that was heartless and cruel to say to the woman. What?????? Heaven forbid we become concerned about someone else's pain.

That's what I say!

4. Magnetic Poles

At the moment of conception, it becomes a zygote. Then an embryo, then a fetus, then a baby, and then a teenager! Yikes!

5. Songbird

Songbird New Member

Thanks Magnetic. I had forgotten the stages before fetus. lol Need to dust off the biology book. Ok, at the moment of conception, the zygote becomes a lving soul.

6. rufus

rufus New Member

An "opposing researcher" asked for a definition of "pain." And he said, "Of course, we can't ask the baby if it hurts!"

A human life is created at the instant of conception! Period!

Abortion is murder of human life! Period!

Rufus

7. elijah_lives

elijah_lives New Member

Agreed. The moment where the DNA of the zygote is different from that of the mother, it is a unique life and has a soul. Even the early church taught that a soul is imparted at the time of conception, and being closely-held by the disciples of apostolic authority, it agrees with scripture (see Psalm 139:13).

8. Magnetic Poles

The presence of a soul or abortion is not the topic of this thread. The topic is when can a fetus feel pain.

9. rufus

rufus New Member

I began the topic. The whole news item was a "boast" for "planned parenthood" lie regarding abortion.

So, abortion was part of the story.

I just imagine being murdered (aborted) is painful! :(

10. Magnetic Poles

I began the topic. The whole news item was a "boast" for "planned parenthood" lie regarding abortion.

So, abortion was part of the story.

I just imagine being murdered (aborted) is painful! :(
    </font>[/QUOTE]That's fine, it just wasn't part of your original OP.

11. Songbird

Songbird New Member

Well, I felt the reason researchers were saying that a fetus doesn't feel pain was to give more support to Pro-Choice and that if the fetus doesn't feel pain, then abortion is not bad.

I thought it was all connected.

12. elijah_lives

elijah_lives New Member

It is. Wasn't there a professor recently advocating infanticide, up to 3 months I think, on this very same basis? That the baby could not feel pain?

13. Magnetic Poles

I don't buy this at all. I doubt they had any agenda, just reporting their findings. It seems to reason that if a central nervous system has not developed, there can be no pain. I look at it as a finding, not something to promote an agenda.

14. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Why else would anyone be interested in whether or not a baby in the womb feels pain?

'Does this hurt? What about this?'

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

We can't possily know for sure, but since it is a human child, we should assume it can, an act accordingly. When you lessen it to anything other then a human bing it becomes nothing to worry about aborting it, pain or not, it lessens human life, the value of all human life.

16. Magnetic Poles

How about for the purpose of expanding our knowledge? Why would anyone be interested in the reproductive habits of a frog? Why would anyone be interested in finding out how the human body reacts to months of weightlessness?

Expanding the frontiers of knowledge often leads to many unexpected benefits. If not, at least we learn something.

17. donnA

donnA Active Member

They only want to assure people that aborted, mudered, babies don't feel their own murders. Thats all.

18. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I have a friend who is about 45 years old who can't feel pain. He can feel some things, but there is no "pain" signal in his head. Some kind of short circuit in his nervous system. He walks, talks, laughs, cries, is married, fathered children, has a college education and a good job.

Though the presence of pain may indicate there is life, the absence of pain does not mean there is no life.

19. rufus

rufus New Member

I don't buy this at all. I doubt they had any agenda, just reporting their findings. It seems to reason that if a central nervous system has not developed, there can be no pain. I look at it as a finding, not something to promote an agenda. </font>[/QUOTE]Then why did "planned parenthood" get several soundbites to go along with the "researchers" find and Senator Sam Brownback (a prolifer) get only one very short soundbite.

Sure there was an agenda!

Rufus

20. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I say a lot of well-meaning Christians are going dismiss this solely because they will see it as a threat to their views on the topic of abortion.

However, some Christians don't need the shroud of Turin to be authentic in order to adhere to their belief in Christ. Likewise, some Christians don't need the fetal nervous system to be intact prior to 28 weeks in order to adhere to their views on elective abortion.
    I am one of these folks who is generally against elective abortions of fetuses. However, as a parent of two of them, I can tell you that my view on teenagers is not as forgiving :eek: